Confessions of a Shopaholic - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Confessions of a Shopaholic Reviews

August 28, 2016
La question qui m'a suivi tout au long de ce film : Mais comment, diable, ont-ils pu attirer Joan Cusak et John Goodman dans cette galère ?
On pourrait croire que c'est un film de dimanche après-midi pluvieux, pop-corn et couverture, mais il y en a tout plein d'autres qui peuvent faire le travail (Nothing Hill, Bridget Jones, Trainwreck, Holidays etc).
Ici, c'est pas très drôle. À peine sympathique et pas très bien joué...
Superficiel, peut-être même plus que le film de Sex and the city...
½ July 12, 2016
It's movie has a lesson of life,we can not spend so much money. Criticizing consumerism, Shows how advertising can attract. One romantic comedy and dramatic.
½ June 29, 2016
It had its funny moments but they weren't enough.
½ June 24, 2016
Better than the book. Light hearted, entertaining and extremely relatable.
June 16, 2016
Surprisingly nice show! this *girly* flick has plenty of good Cinema in it.
While being tad over the top it still feels like its made about people, people in awkward moments, so if your girlfriend insists on girly can bite the bullet with this one ;)
June 7, 2016
Mildly entertaining. Decent concept, but it lacked in a lot of places.
½ April 6, 2016
Me entretuvo pero eso no la hace una buena película porque definitivamente no lo es, tiene personajes estereotipados, una historia que es tanto irrealista como cliché y un final muy esperado. Tampoco cumple con lo que promete ya que es una película con un deficiente diseño de vestuario y no incluye buena ropa de marca ni de calidad (a diferencia de El Diablo Viste a la Moda, donde tal vez la historia no era la mejor pero el diseño de vestuario sí era verdaderamente hermoso). Una lástima ya que en verdad me gusta Isla Fischer.
March 11, 2016
A good movie if you have nothing better to watch or to do in the evening. I honestly didn't like it that much. Acting wasn't that great and the story is quiet of lame.
February 28, 2016
i thinks she's adorable...
½ February 28, 2016
Escapism romcom (romantic comedy) Confessions of a Shopaholic is an excruciating hybrid rehash attempt at breezy slapstick. It is an ill-conceived and dreadfully executed mess of cinematic fluff. Completely devoid of chemistry and charisma and angled by producer Jerry Bruckheimer (CSI) to cash in on the second wave of the Sex And The City generationers; Shame shame Jerry.

Transporting Sophie Kinsella's book of the same name across the Atlantic and attempting to tick each box on the trite cliché romcom checklist, this movie manages to take the splendid institution of Hollywood airhead comedies carved by Monroe, Garland and Witherspoon and make it sanctimonious, predictable, stale and contrived.

Materialist wannabe fashion Journalist Rebecca Bloomwood (Isla Fisher, Home and Away) is a compulsive shopper. Juggling 12 credit cards and $16k debt to keep her plentiful wardrobe in a manner to which accustomed she is helpless against beckoning mannequins in seductive designer-clad window displays. 'A man will never treat you as well as a store.'

With the sudden collapse of her income source, Rebecca's unbridled and debilitating habit must come of a screeching halt. However, surprisingly enough, that very same week an interview request is made by fashion icon magazine Allete, the holy grail of a dream job.

After being turned away even before the interview starts she cunningly finds out a job is available at Successful Savings, a finance magazine owned by the same company. Confident, even with her complete lack of fiscal knowledge, she takes the interview. Instantly realising that the interviewer is non-other than a man earlier that morning she fake sob-storied for $20 to buy a perfect green scarf, conceding she probably didn't get the job.

In a drunken girly cheer up session, she decides to write a letter to the rejecting two editors. One sent to Allette highlighting what they had missed and one to Successful Savings Hugh Grant style British editor Luke (Hugh Dancy) returning the conned money.

Needless to say the letters got mixed up and Rebecca unintentionally lands the job with Successful Saving. Using it as a stepping stone to Allette might just work. Taking on the role as the new IT girl for the world of finance Rebecca finds she has ironically been employed to write about the very consumer predicament of which she herself is drowning.

Clutching a volume of Money for Dummies and her lolly-pink computer under one arm, Rebecca's insightfully innovative comparisons and unconventional metaphors for economics brings critical acclaim, public success and international accolades. Attempting to stay under Derek Smeath's (Robert Stanton) her stereo typically nerdy debt collector's radar, she writes under the pseudonym as "The girl with the green scarf."

As a victim of her own overnight celebrity success, Rebecca is swiftly found. However, by using her vast abilities of lies and manipulation she easily convinces Luke that he is not a debt collector but a stalking ex boyfriend and she needs protection.

Drawing closer to her ultimate goal writing for Alette, Rebecca finds love in Luke and begins to re-evaluate what is really important in life and questions her true ambition. Will confronting her "shopaholic" condition free her from her self-imposed life of lies and teach her the difference between cost and worth?

The New York setting, designer name dropping and Carrie Bradshaw-esque narration screams copyright infringement. The intense lack of chemistry between the leads, poorly written characters with no grasp on reality and overblown performances leaves this film with few redeeming qualities.

It is one of those films if its release was postponed or when straight to DVD, none would notice, or care (excluding my usual chick-flick partner). Even the A-list cast of regular supporting actors couldn't even manage to give it a lift.

Fisher is capable of carrying her own film with her likable style and flair for slapstick but is in desperate need of better material. She shines as "that anyone can relate too" character. That person everyone knows as incredibly intelligent but sometime is literally thick as two short planks full of concrete. (In my family this is known as a Jackieism, affectionately coined by my father in reference to my mother; who I have to admit I was relating to Rebecca the entire film)

The Verdict: As a shallow one-dimensional knock off version of its stand out predecessors, Confessions of a shopaholic lacks substance. I think Rebecca said it best herself "I'd rather be shopping".

Published: The Queanbeyan Age
Date of Publication: 20/03/2009
½ February 11, 2016
Not my kind of show.
February 4, 2016
Cliche. Bad acting. Bad combo.
January 18, 2016
I really liked this and am hoping they make more!!!:)
December 27, 2015
The movie was so funny throughout. Really likeable main characters with a decent storyline.
September 20, 2015
I actually like this movie. Pretty cheesy but a good message about how easy it is to get stuck with credit card debt...
½ August 11, 2015
Completely removed every lovable aspect of Sophie Kinsella's novel. Americanized and unbearable.
½ August 8, 2015
SPOILER ALERT This movie looked too silly to watch but I caught it on tv and was riveted. The character of Rebecca is indeed hard to like but that's kind of the point of the movie and her troubles are funny, and the ending is truly a happy one because we feel that flawed people can both change and be loved for who they really are. The acting by everyone is terrific.
August 8, 2015
I expected this to be significantly more horrible than it was and mostly decided I'd turn it on because I'm pretty on board with John Goodman. Who was barely in it but made top billing on TV Guide. It wasn't by any means good or anything. But it was okay and there were only bits that were actually painful to watch or horribly miscast. And I think the progesterone supplements are making me extra sentimental cause I started crying about the damn scarf even knowing full well she'd get it back. It did have kind of a frantic energy that felt weird and out of place though.
July 21, 2015
It's amusing, sassy and fun to live vicariously through the lovely Rebecca Bloomwood.
July 7, 2015
this was total fluff in the worst way, but ok in a pinch to numb your brain.