Constantine - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Constantine Reviews

½ January 3, 2017
The acting is great. The action is great. The cast is perfect. I'd love to see Keanu and Shia pair up again. The story and sequence of events is aligned. I've never read the comics so i can't talk about that, but i absolutely love this film.
January 2, 2017
Constantine is an intriguing comic book figure in the DC world, a member of the Dark Justice League and one hell of a badass exorcist. He deals with the mystic arts and has faced demons more times than he can count. in 2005 it was the right time to bring Constantine to the big screen and it had a great leading man in Keanu Reeves. However it's execution fell flat and we didn't see quite the comic book character we wanted to.
John Constantine is introduced to us as a unique kind of exorcist. He is tasked by god to send demons who inhabit human bodies back to hell. In the film we see that there is an unusual case of demons trying to break through into the human world. At the same time Constantine is asked by Detective Angela Dodson to help her solve the mysterious suicide of her sister who may have been influenced by demonic voices to kill herself. Constantine helps her out and hopes that maybe his good deeds will finally buy him his way into heaven.
The film started out with one of the most impressive introductions to a main character I've ever seen in the apartment exorcism scene. It should the intelligence, poise and unique nature of he character. The CGI was not bad the demons came out real well on screen. the scene where he jumps up and the demons try to catch him was an extraordinary shot well placed by Lawrence. Lawrences' camera usage is impressive here and so is the lighting. His directing here isn't anywhere near as sharp and focused as it was for the Hunger Games films.
Some of the sound mixing and editing was lazily done I could hear some distinct mess ups in the sound work. the plot was quite shaky I can see the writers stuggled with the incorportation of theological elements. it did get ridiculous towards the end.
On the acting side of things. Keanu reeves performance as the comic book character was pretty solid. It was more on the serious side than the comedic work from Matt Ryan these days. He portrays more of the exorcist or fallen angel that Constantine is with such a zen like calmness. Rachel weisz's character unforuntatly was poorly written. you constantly forget she is a cop weisz makes very little effort to move her away from a damsel in distress type of woman.
This was overall an ok film but not a great one
January 1, 2017
Much better this time, not as much cool action, but enough to keep you entertained
½ December 20, 2016
constantine...john constantine ass hole
December 10, 2016
10 years ago was it was a bomb :)
½ November 15, 2016
Overlooked, underrated movie ?? looking forward to the TV series.
November 9, 2016
this movie was at least a 60
October 5, 2016
Your kidding me. Why the heck does this film have a 72% on the user score? This film was dumb on every level.
September 23, 2016
Keanu's first bad choice as an actor.
½ September 23, 2016
Keanu "Botox" Reeves delivers his lines with all the emotional depth of a speak-your-weight machine, without ever once changing his expression. His wooden delivery drags a middling film into the depths of mediocrity. The upside is that everyone else shines in comparison, and the CGI effects are not bad for the era. It's watchable, but only just.
½ August 15, 2016
It felt like a dark sequel to van helsing, but I kinda liked it... kinda..
½ August 15, 2016
Constantine has solid production, a very interesting premise, decent performance. However, it does have its fair shair of flaws, the CGI was pretty bad. Either than that it was good!
July 23, 2016
Longest fucking movie of all time
July 12, 2016
Constantine (2005) C-120m. ??
Exorcist who's been to Hell before (a well-cast Reeves) finds demons on earth and sends them below. Meanwhile, Weisz learns her twin sister was unfairly condemned; can Reeves manage to retrieve her from Hell, gain absolution, and prevent other nonsense? Don't bother!
½ June 13, 2016
Although a bit dull at times, it has a very entertaining and eccentric style that gives it personality.
May 26, 2016
I liked it! It was very cool and action packed. Sure you can nitpick at it. But when it comes to occult action this was one of the betters.
½ May 19, 2016
Someone please make a sequel to this! It's been 11 years T_T
May 7, 2016
67%
Had they picked another actor for the role, I would have found this decent at best.
April 25, 2016
Keanu Reeves is wonderful as John Constantine, a comic character that is far from your conventional hero. Dark, cryptic and very effective at building an entertaining world, Constantine is a fun and entertaining movie. Sure, it's got plot holes and some cheesy one-liners. But a good watch.