Cousin, Cousine Reviews

• Jul 29, 2019

A odd French family and friends drama/liaison.

A odd French family and friends drama/liaison.

• Apr 02, 2015

Retrospectively speaking, this French comedy’s dark horse success mainly can be attributed to the fact that it opportunely corresponds with the sex liberation trend in the 1970s, not just a commercial hit in its homeland, it also has conquered the audience in North America, entering Oscar's BEST FOREIGN LANGUAGE FILM race, and most absurdly, it even procures two other nominations BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY, and BEST LEADING ACTRESS for Barrault. Why it is absurd? Simply because it is one of those out-of-the-blue nominations in Oscar’s history which don’t make any sense to even be encompassed as the fillers among the year’s best. to keep reading my review on my blog: http://wp.me/p1eXom-1QV

• Feb 13, 2014

Do any of my Facebook friends remember this movie? Online it says it was very popular in the US in 1975. Rodd thinks peple just liked to see the actress's breasts. I liked the VERY 1970s soundtrack, but that was it for me.

• Dec 17, 2012

Never have I seen so much chemistry in a movie as between Barrault and Lanoux, utterly stunning. The movie is not nearly as humorous as it tries to be though, and is let down by a weak ending which is either totally unsatisfying or deeply disturbing depending on how you choose to interpret it.

• Jeff L Super Reviewer
    Jul 06, 2012

A well told and intermittently witty film. It is, however, personally difficult--if not impossible--to root for adulterers (no matter how "justified"), thereby stripping Cousin Cousine of a terrific amount of emotional appeal.

John B Super Reviewer
    Nov 25, 2007

I saw Cousins before I saw this film. I wished I had seen this and not bothered with something involving Ted Danson. A delightful experience.

• Nov 09, 2007

not a great film but there are some funny moments.

not a great film but there are some funny moments.

• Sep 29, 2007

Enjoyable, light and funny. What ever you do, do not get the American remake of this 'Cousins' which was a piece of crap.

• Sep 29, 2007

Don't get any ideas now...

Don't get any ideas now...

• Sep 27, 2007

Pleasant romantic comedy about French social mores with Barrault and Lanoux starring as cousins - by marriage - who first become friends who eventually fall in love. They finally have an affair, flaunting it beautifully to their entire family. Some early development of farce, but not taken far enough, although there is a wonderful funeral sequence where everyone seems preoccupied with other things, rather than a deceased member of the family. (Pascal incessantly looking at his watch; the children assuming the funeral is another party.) Great performances from Barrault and Lanoux highlight the fun.