C.R.A.Z.Y. - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

C.R.A.Z.Y. Reviews

½ July 7, 2016
Outstanding, very moving film.
½ March 24, 2016
Extremely profound,not only a coming-of-age,coming-out movie,but mostly a movie abot family bonds and relationships.I really liked it,although at times it felt too long for its own good.Many themes and many ideas are taken into consideration,and the plot really managed to shed some light on all of them.A very well made Quebecois movie.
January 11, 2016
Awesome film, I felt the emotion in the acting, superb. :)
August 16, 2015
Great French-Canadian movie portraying growing up in the 70s discovering your sexuality. A brilliant movie splashed with Quebec cultural innuendos and gorgeous acting. A very deep subject perfectly balanced with the right touch of comedy lift this movie to stellar heights.
May 9, 2015
An honest well-made film, about 20 years in the life of a lad, a drama comedy with a really original title referring the song by Patsy Cline "Crazy" and to the initials of the five brothers' names.
May 8, 2015
Jean-Marc Valle best movie yet ! Great soundtrack, touching, funny, well act and many other qualities !
May 4, 2015
Brilliantly witty, warm, fun and insightful. One of the most tender depictions of sexuality and youth in recent memory with excellent direction from Vallée illuminating this utterly memorable picture. I defy you not to weep by the end.
April 6, 2015
An epic drama of the story of a young man questioning his sexuality, growing up through the sixities and seventies in Quebec, born into a strictly catholic family of five brothers, each crazier than the last. C.R.A.Z.Y is a really affective film as it was one of the only films I've ever seen to make me really think about my own crazy existence and what life really means. Life is too love and to celebrate our indifferences. The outfits and nostalgic soundtrack are all exceedingly impressive, as are the performances and sequences set to music. Sometimes C.R.A.Z.Y is tounge-in-cheek, sometimes its heartbreaking and sometimes its surrealistic, however what can't be denied is this relatively unknown and genreless epic is quite fantastic.
February 19, 2015
Absolutely fantastic movie, great actors, photography and perfect rythm. Impossible not to feel identified with one of the characters. A master piece
December 29, 2014
C.R.A.Z.Y is one of the best films to come out of this country. The intricacies and subtleties of the script and form of the film create a perfect, true to life portrait, covering the universal topics of religion, love and family. Beautifully shot and designed Vallee walks the line between the slightly surreal and reality perfectly, giving incite into the character's minds, bodies and souls. Ultimately this is a film about connection and understanding both towards others and of oneself. This is beautifully realized through the steady direction of Vallee and the incredible cast who are there every step of the way with him. In the end family is all we have. We don't choose them, but the bond we share with them is one that is too strong to be broken, no matter how different we may be.
December 18, 2014
The Best French-Canadian movie ever!!!!!
July 24, 2014
J'ai été fou de passer au dessus de ce chef d'?uvre depuis tant d'année. WOW
June 1, 2014
A heart-wrenching coming of age story. A prime example of the superior film industry talent in Quebec.
April 16, 2014
Family relationships can be complicated by the emergence of a personal identity, territory and desire to belong... Life is tough when you're different--Have you ever heard the word "MUST" ? It comes from this kind of movie!!
½ March 14, 2014
Absolutely love this movie ! Also loved the use of Charles Aznavour's "Emmenez-Moi" throughout the movie!
February 13, 2014
A real awesome film, the best use of a Rolling Stones song, some of the best personal stories told. Awesome and brilliant.

2nd viewing: Still holds up, beautiful music and stunning transitions between eras. Beautiful story and overall, a fantastic achievement.
January 13, 2014
I wasn't expecting this level of ambition. Not only do we see Zachary's story of self-discovery unfold from his birth to his mid 20s, we also see the evolution of his family and the surrounding culture from the 50s through the 70s.

Unexpectedly, the movie so accurately captures the horror and humiliation a child often goes through while suffering from nocturnal enuresis, or "bedwetting," when we see Zach get outed by kids at summer camp. By avoiding sleepovers, I managed to successfully keep my bedwetting known only to my immediate family, but that is where I was also shamed by my step-mother and step-brothers who lectured and teased me about being either too lazy or too chicken to go upstairs to the bathroom. My father, more nurturing in his approach but still lacking understanding, also believed it was voluntary. When I was five, a couple of years before my step-family came into the picture, he started paying me $5 for every night that I didn't wet the bed, inadvertently seeding my humiliation and confusion over whether I could fix myself if I really wanted to and why it it was that I subconsciously chose not to. Unlike 0.5-1% of adults out there and all people in the LGBT community, my developmental abnormality abruptly came to an end at age 13, confirming that assigning neurosis to my condition was absurd. Fortunately, kids are now blessed with the internet to educate themselves and even their families.

The message both me and Zachary learned is the same: do not trust people with your differences, exposing yourself will only result in further isolation and loneliness. This lesson is more acutely relevant for Zach, because he was also born with a more polarizing and permanent sexual difference that his father and society also believes are chosen behaviors, and he doesn't want to be outed again.

My biggest criticism with the film is that it seems confused and possibly ignorant about the main character's identity. When Zach is a young boy, he shows strong signs of "gender identity disorder," where he only wants a baby stroller for Christmas and he dresses up in his mother's clothes, puts on makeup, and acts like a mother to his infant brother. In the next timeline transition, immediately after his summer camp bedwetting trauma, this desire and behavior disappears entirely and never returns in the film, including when we see him alone. Instead, he becomes hardened and aggressive with a strong counterculture fashion sense and discovering an attraction to men. It's as if another writer took over and switched out Zach's brain, or at least the transgendered part.
September 12, 2013
Probably one of my favourite Canadian movies of all time. A wonderful coming of age story. Although set in suburban Montreal it could easily be anywhere in the 70's and 80's. It will make you smile, cry, and think all at once. Great look and feel to this movie. I highly recommend it, doesn't matter if your gay or straight you will enjoy it.
½ August 23, 2013
More and more it surprises me how few anglos have seen this movie. I really appreciated the efforts made to keep this from becoming merely a "nostalgia" flick.

Another thing that impresses me is that for all the great reviews this movie got, it doesn't shy away from harsh reality. C.R.A.Z.Y. does merit all the praise. This film pulled me right in until I was feeling like a member of the Beaulieu family. Something that completely boggles my mind... How did they get the rights to all the music? The Stones, Pink Floyd, David Bowie? The artists must have really wanted to have their music associated with the film. Just one of those big mysteries. C.R.A.Z.Y. has some very important things to say about family and acceptance.