Crazy Heart - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Crazy Heart Reviews

August 19, 2016
The ending was moving. The writing was pretty sloppy other than that. The acting was okay.
May 7, 2016
Jeff Bridges gives a brilliant performance as a burnt out exll problem everything country singer; it's just sad the material can't live up to his performance as the movie soon becomes a "Tender Mercies " ripoff.
March 14, 2016
Jeff Bridges is one of my favourite actors, and this role is tailor-made for him. Most of this film was great, but the ending was a bit disappointing.
December 24, 2015
Bridges and Gyllenhal elevate otherwise dreary, predictable material.
December 15, 2015
A nearly note-perfect character study about a middle-aged, alcoholic country singer (Jeff Bridges) trying to eke out a living playing his old hits in small-town bowling alleys and bars. He meets a nice woman; he fights with his manager about the gigs and about being the opening act for a rising star singer who used to be a member of his band, when he had a band. Those are essentially the only plot points -- the story is simple and straightforward. The real appeal in this film is Bridges's performance. He totally inhabits this character. He's a decent guy with some serious talent and some serious flaws. We see him recognize a good thing in the woman he meets, but he isn't ready yet to straighten up. He's neither hero nor villain; he's just struggling, like all of us.
½ December 13, 2015
Crazy Heart is a rugged, deliberately slow film about recovery. Jeff Bridges is fantastic as a burned out, alcoholic country singer and Maggie Gyllenhaal is pretty good too, but the movie is too conventional to be anything other than an acting showcase.
½ October 28, 2015
Even though somehow similar to it, The Wrestler came out as a hard punch while this one feels more like a soft country song that benefits a lot from Jeff Bridges' outstanding performance and turns out to be a satisfying yet unoriginal drama.
October 4, 2015
A story of a war-torn alpha male, his musk fading - trying to do a little house work (in the vein of "The Wrestler"). Somewhat safe, somewhat mute, but also well-acted and pretty well scored. The minuses may win out here, but the pluses give them a decent run for their money.
August 10, 2015
Familiar story and sometimes moves a bit slow but a great performance by Bridges makes this one to remember
July 11, 2015
Besides the supporting cast - Maggie Gyllenhaal, Colin Farrell and Robert Duvall - Jeff Bridges' performance and showcased country singing talents drives the drama that thoughtfully present the meaning of a musician flame in life and song as it keeps a little distance apart from the slow flowing of the pace. (B+)

(Full review coming soon - with better wording probably)
June 24, 2015
Very real feeling to it. From the music to the heavy drinking hard to separate reality & fiction. Awesome cast and story. Must watch
June 17, 2015
Wow... I severely underrated this film when I first saw it. Beautiful.
½ June 4, 2015
This is absolutely one of the finest acting jobs I've ever seen! Congratulations Jeff Bridges.
½ May 30, 2015
A very familiar "by the numbers" movie saved by Jeff Bridge's amazing performance. And, it is amazing.
½ April 30, 2015
With a powerful performance by Jeff Bridges, this country music drama has a lot of character. Following the story of a washed up country music star, we see him transform from a dead beat drunk into a wise and caring man. Good film with good performances. 3.5 out of 5 stars.
½ April 13, 2015
Jeff Bridges carries this film with another outstanding performance through all the motels, bars and stadiums. It's refreshing to see a drama bout a man who's past his prime years that doesn't entirely give up on its protagonist and doesn't paint an entirely pessimistic picture. Even with little interest in country music, there is a lesson to learn here: it's never too late for a second chance. But some things will only allow you one. Many images of the film stay with you long after it ended.
April 9, 2015
Bridges acting and the soundtrack alone make it worth the watch. Also a great story.
April 7, 2015
Not as boring as thought, nevertheless, not my thingy still.
½ March 19, 2015
I've been loved and I've been alone
All my life I been a rolling stone
Done everthing that a man can do
Everthing to get a hold on you

And this ain't no place for the weary kind
This ain't no place to lose your mind
This ain't no place to fall behind
Pick up your crazy heart and give it one more try

Crazy heart is the wrestler without the r-rated material. A sweet story of a washed up country music singer played by the great dude Jeff Bridges.