Cruel Intentions Reviews

• Apr 10, 2021

This is an iconic movie. I don't care what the critics say.

This is an iconic movie. I don't care what the critics say.

• Apr 04, 2021

"Cruel Intentions" has a few storytelling flaws, but I have to admit, there is never a dull moment in this entire movie. The story features two very dislikable characters that are also a lot of fun to watch. I think this is one of the better examples of a movie that has characters I didn't necessarily root for, but I was eager to see what they would do or say next. The third act is where the movie started to lose me, as it does start to become just a cheesy romance movie that was a bit eye-rolling. However, I am glad the movie didn't go with a safe ending and actually had something genuinely a bit surprising. Overall, it is a messed-up movie with plenty of uncomfortable scenes but also one that moves at a solid pace with diabolically entertaining lead characters.

• Feb 16, 2021

With the same idea of a "bet" plot like 10 Things I Hate About You did so brilliantly "Cruel Intentions" doesn't shock if you were born in 2000. But you can see how this archetype of a girl set the stage for Queen B's like Mean Girls's Regina George but more infamously Cecily von Ziegesar's best selling series on it's way to become THE CW's prized possession with Gossip Girl. All the themes of the show is traced back to this cult classic from 1999. You could even argue that Kathryn Merteuil is the original Queen B from this era altough Blair Waldorf does give Sarah Michelle Gellar's character ‘a run for her money.'

• Dec 29, 2020

snappy & punctual, ryan phillippe brings out his best performance for a 90's classic for teenagers

• Dec 20, 2020

I loved this film when it first came out and still love it to this day, to the point of knowing nearly every word.

• Nov 21, 2020

Cruel Intentions, Severely underrated. This film shows adults the darker side of young adults who have too much leeway (much better than the In Crowd). Superb character play by Ryan Philipe is what makes the movie memorable, much better than young sebastian in C.I. 2. Sarah Michelle Gellar was a decent Kathyrn but was definitely outdone by Selma Blair who can play any role you hand her as proved in Legally Blond and Hellboy. Only flaw was that it should have concentrated more on Kathryn's vendetta with her ex boyfriend. Joshua Jackson's small part was also key to Ryan Phillipes plan(who incidentally wasn't really worth mentioning, do I smell a FEAR role reprise). All in all a good film 4 and a half out of 5.

• Nov 13, 2020

An exceptional teen drama, with impeccable performances.

An exceptional teen drama, with impeccable performances.

• Nov 12, 2020

I liked it when I was a teenager but now, it's pretty meh. I lost interest about halfway through.

• Nov 03, 2020

A staple for 90s movies

A staple for 90s movies

• Sep 28, 2020

Even tought this is a adaptation some details of the story could be changed in order to make more sense according to film mood, because, without that, the story feels rushed and the characters progressions doesn't make sense.