Cube - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Cube Reviews

April 17, 2017
Although some of the acting and writing is not quite up to par, Cube has an intriguing premise and makes good use of it in more than one way.
April 12, 2017
Very intriguing premise
½ April 3, 2017
A great suspenseful horror film ruined by a lackluster ending.
½ March 31, 2017
I was pleasantly surprised at how thoughtfully "Cube" was done. Although the premise of the film was simple (escape the cube), the plot progression was much more entertaining, and thrilling, than I expected. The dynamics between characters was great, although the acting could've been better, and the director did a nice job at making the most out of essentially the same setting throughout the entire movie.
March 15, 2017
First off, I really like movies that take place in enclosed areas (like 'Devil' or 'Buried') and this movie is no different. Even though it takes place in an enclosed and small space, it tricks your mind into thinking there are multiple cubes, even though they only used one to make the movie. Now that suspension of disbelief is awesome. And there's so many twists and turns and it's so exciting to watch. I definitely recommend this movie. It's one of my favorites.
½ January 11, 2017
Cube is a cleverly written sci-fi thriller about a group of strangers who wake up to find themselves trapped in a maze of cube-shaped rooms which contain a variety of deadly traps. To have any hope of surviving, they must work together and try to find a way out.

This is a fairly low-budget movie, but the filmmakers were able to construct an engaging film with their limited resources by relying on clever directing and a solid script. Since all of the rooms in the cube look identical, the entire movie was filmed using a single room. Using only one room could get visually boring, but the director was able to keep things interesting with a good use of lighting and camera angles. The focus is placed on the characters and what they're going through, and the direction emphasizes that with the way the film is shot.

The characters themselves are interesting. They each have a specific role to play not only in the story, but in the cube itself. Each of them has a certain ability that will help them figure out how to escape, and a good part of the movie is spent showing how the characters discover what they have to offer. Their personalities are all very different, some of them bordering on caricatures at times, which leads to some tense conflicts that are more dangerous than the cube's traps. At its core, Cube is a movie about people and how they react to life-threatening situations.

There are also some bigger themes going on in Cube. There's a very clear statement about the figurative machines that drive society and the roles citizens play in that. There are also themes relating to guilt, desperation, deception, and even the meaning of life (or at least how much life is worth). To say much more would spoil the movie, and I think Cube is worth discovering for yourself.

Fans of thoughtful sci-fi will definitely like Cube.
January 1, 2017
I can not see Maurice Dean Wint as anyone but the guy in Hedwig...lol
December 4, 2016
Aside from the intense over acting and the 20 year old special effects this movie is amazing. It is gory, twisted, and disturbingly dark.
½ November 23, 2016
All the clever ideas mean much less after the execution.
½ November 11, 2016
The first Cube film actually creates an atmosphere with the feelings of desperation and paranoia.The characters move along with both a healthy and unhealthy doses of cynicism creating a scenario where they realize something far more disturbing that "big brother is watching you" and its the realization that "nobody is watching"
½ November 1, 2016
i liked this movie the first time i watched it freshman year of college. the second time not so much. and there won't be a third. the two complements i can give this movie are an interesting premise and some cool movie making techniques for a low budget film. the acting is TERRIBLE. so is the dialogue and characters. seriously, i hated all of the characters. they were either annoying, stupid or unrealistic. and it had no substance. it was basically weird just for the sake of being weird (2 viewings)
September 23, 2016
A terrible start to the movie, but in the middle and end its really good
August 20, 2016
While I really enjoyed this film, I kinda debate if I would call it a good movie. The main thing is that the acting and writing are really shitty, which makes for some hilarious dialogue. The thing I like though is the cool cinematography and production design. Also I feel that the film has a great creeping feeling of isolation and being trapped. So in the end it isn't really a good movie, but I liked it. I guess this is another guilty pleasure film.

67/100
½ July 30, 2016
Novel concept single-handedly ruined by the atrocious acting from Maurice Dean Wint.
June 25, 2016
A great psychological thriller that stimulates the mind while providing a few scares along the way too.
May 24, 2016
I think what made this movie "good" as well as bad is because it never really tells much of itself. The mystery here only lies on the fact that you never know quite anything as opposed to mystery because of a dilemma or of an intrigue. It never quite milks it awesome premise to the fullest not to mention Quentin's (bad) bulging eyes acting. It's like finding a box on the welcome rug of your home which you can never open to know what's inside. At first it's intriguing in the end it's frustrating.
½ May 21, 2016
I fun thriller with an interesting premise.
½ May 18, 2016
This movie really reminds me of Saw 2 : strangers waking up in an unknown place, hidden signs everywhere and an intense and deadly situation. Overall, Cube was satisfying, the acting is actually pretty good for a super low budget movie, and, the Cube effects are pretty fancy, although sometimes pretty cluncky and cheap. The script of this flick is probably the movie's biggest flaw. But the deaths scenes are by far spectacular and there's suspense in there too. A cult classic for sure, I'm curious to find out what the remake will be like. Recommended !!
May 3, 2016
A tasty sci-fi treat with a great premise and plenty of tense moments and some good shocks. Comes served with a hefty portion of cheesy dialogue and hammy acting however.