Cube - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Cube Reviews

½ November 23, 2016
All the clever ideas mean much less after the execution.
½ November 11, 2016
The first Cube film actually creates an atmosphere with the feelings of desperation and paranoia.The characters move along with both a healthy and unhealthy doses of cynicism creating a scenario where they realize something far more disturbing that "big brother is watching you" and its the realization that "nobody is watching"
½ November 1, 2016
i liked this movie the first time i watched it freshman year of college. the second time not so much. and there won't be a third. the two complements i can give this movie are an interesting premise and some cool movie making techniques for a low budget film. the acting is TERRIBLE. so is the dialogue and characters. seriously, i hated all of the characters. they were either annoying, stupid or unrealistic. and it had no substance. it was basically weird just for the sake of being weird (2 viewings)
September 23, 2016
A terrible start to the movie, but in the middle and end its really good
August 20, 2016
While I really enjoyed this film, I kinda debate if I would call it a good movie. The main thing is that the acting and writing are really shitty, which makes for some hilarious dialogue. The thing I like though is the cool cinematography and production design. Also I feel that the film has a great creeping feeling of isolation and being trapped. So in the end it isn't really a good movie, but I liked it. I guess this is another guilty pleasure film.

67/100
½ July 30, 2016
Novel concept single-handedly ruined by the atrocious acting from Maurice Dean Wint.
June 25, 2016
A great psychological thriller that stimulates the mind while providing a few scares along the way too.
May 24, 2016
I think what made this movie "good" as well as bad is because it never really tells much of itself. The mystery here only lies on the fact that you never know quite anything as opposed to mystery because of a dilemma or of an intrigue. It never quite milks it awesome premise to the fullest not to mention Quentin's (bad) bulging eyes acting. It's like finding a box on the welcome rug of your home which you can never open to know what's inside. At first it's intriguing in the end it's frustrating.
½ May 21, 2016
I fun thriller with an interesting premise.
½ May 18, 2016
This movie really reminds me of Saw 2 : strangers waking up in an unknown place, hidden signs everywhere and an intense and deadly situation. Overall, Cube was satisfying, the acting is actually pretty good for a super low budget movie, and, the Cube effects are pretty fancy, although sometimes pretty cluncky and cheap. The script of this flick is probably the movie's biggest flaw. But the deaths scenes are by far spectacular and there's suspense in there too. A cult classic for sure, I'm curious to find out what the remake will be like. Recommended !!
May 3, 2016
A tasty sci-fi treat with a great premise and plenty of tense moments and some good shocks. Comes served with a hefty portion of cheesy dialogue and hammy acting however.
½ April 22, 2016
Showed a lot of potential, but didn't live up to it. The best things I can say are the kills, and the cube itself looks dope! Pretty bad and annoying characters, awful performances and writing, and way too long.
April 21, 2016
I remember watching this year's ago on a late night sci fi channel viewing (before syfy) and finding it entertaining. watching it today, still no change. the movie itself is a great concept and with a low budget, they do a superb job on creating what could be an endless puzzle. b movie all over it but still a wonderful watch.
April 17, 2016
Brilliant concept. Minimalist set, which makes you concentrate on the characterizations and the plot. Quite a math involved idea. I also really enjoyed how every character played an important role to solving the cube.
April 11, 2016
SPOILERS!!! Cube seem like it has plenty of potential but when you tear it apart you will soon find out that it is a lazy, sloppy, wrong directed, almost forgetable thriller/horror/gore movie. It is quite amazing how the scriptwriters could, through a bunch of prime-numbers, equalize this poorly written material to a rather intresstring survival flick. Well that is about it! The mathematics are great, and suspense is right there aswell, but with these dull cardboard cut-outs with a booring, lazy output through their actions you canīt get much emotional brain out of it. The movie idea is great, for its time, but the plotline struggles to hard to get the pop quiz of math out there and soon starts to forget about its characters, (they just didnīt think outside the box :P). This is to bad they didnīt elaborate more on that part, more of how their outcome would have been. The direction on the suspense is very well putted together but when the actors react the script, youīll understand the end pretty quickely. The very issue with this flick is the pay-off, alot of climbing for no slide.
April 10, 2016
A really innovative suspense film, inside a strange structure.
April 7, 2016
This has a unique, sci-fi concept and a great story with some good performances too.
April 4, 2016
Cube is cheesy and predictable, but a sci-fi thriller fan will find a way to enjoy the movie. While the setting remains completely in the cube, the boring dialogue doesn't compliment well. Taking into account the low-budget of the film, I was still unimpressed with the plot and the script. There is nothing new and clever except for the anticipation of what the next trap will be.
½ April 3, 2016
Geeky. Smart in places but flaws in parts too.
½ March 29, 2016
Low budget but Original and intense with great performances. I really enjoyed this film.