Cure - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Cure Reviews

April 10, 2017
The ending left some to be desired for me. It was original and likable.
½ September 26, 2016
You'll get used with this slowpaced horror when you finally realize this is another brilliant eerie j-horror invention.
August 13, 2016
"Cure" is the best film of Kiyoshi Kurosawa's movies and the best film after 90's in Japan.
January 4, 2016
A decent Japanese psychological thriller. A little reminiscent of "Seven", from around the same time.
November 1, 2015
Unsettling and mysterious, but more of an exposition rather than an engaging and cohesive story, Cure manages to keep the viewer interested in the mystery while at the same time taking interest away with its uneven pace and with long explanations that are left in the air rather than tied together.
October 29, 2015
Akin to a more nuanced Seven, Cure leaves lots of things open-ended, but it is subtle, smart, and shocking. [A]
½ March 1, 2015
An atmospheric psychological thriller that takes its viewers into a realm of fear.
February 22, 2015
Easily one of the best psychological thrillers I have ever seen, Kiyoshi Kurosawa's Cure is one of the most deconstructive films ever made, taking established Japanese psych-thriller tropes and turning them on its side (i.e. a lot of its subversion of what goes on in Akira Kurosawa's High and Low). It's as analytical of modern Japanese procedural society and superstition as much as Hausu is critical of 1970s youth culture and their ability to ignore the impact of Hiroshima and Nagasaki, but it's not as funny.

Then again, making a film about a detective who goes mad because of a hypnotist wouldn't really lend itself to comedy unless if Alejandro Gonzáles Iñárritu made it.
½ January 11, 2015
excellent psychological drama/horror that uses subtlety exceptionally well.
½ December 17, 2014
Nearly perfect and only gets better every time you think about it, especially the killer and that chilling question at the end.
November 2, 2014
I love any sleuthy movies I found this one to be well shot and a good story. A nice movie I'll watch more from this director.
½ September 22, 2014
Amazingly creepy atmosphere, note-perfect editing (one of those rare times when it's impressive without becoming intrusive), a beautifully paced and structured plot (one of the most compelling setups I've ever seen), and just a pleasure to look at from beginning to end. I did think the final two shots were a bit disappointing, with Kurosawa seemingly buying into the misanthropy of his villain, but it didn't lessen my enjoyment of the film overall. Curious about the rest of his work now.
July 21, 2014
Slow mystery drama. Not as good as his later Bright Future or Retribution.
½ July 10, 2014
... Ummm interesting thiller-horror film.
January 21, 2014
extemely disturbing film that makes you think than relying on cheap jumps. And thats waht it makes it scary
January 1, 2014
Sometimes, minds can kill. Cure is a Japanese thriller about a series of murder committed by various people yet the methods were the same. The only link was a mentally unstable man found near the crime scenes. Cure was dark and psychologically intriguing but could have moved faster with the pace. Definitely a film that will leave you thinking afterwards.
½ December 18, 2013
"Cure" es otra bizarra propuesta japonesa que se enfoca en la hipnosis como herramienta de homicidio. Una red de asesinatos esta siendo cometida por diversos extraños que repiten el mismo patrón (lo único en común es que todos los asesinos conocieron al mismo hombre, quien aparentemente no recuerda nada y solo funge como incitador de perversos deseos). Ninguno de ellos había matado antes.
"Cure" es una película que intriga a pesar de una narrativa un tanto repetitiva. Recomendable.
½ October 23, 2013
haunting but not really scary police thriller slow n clumsy
October 13, 2013
This is a pretty cool psychological film. The director knows exactly when to let a scene breath, which adds the eerie tension throughout. Recommend for fans of psychological thrillers/ serial killer films.
October 7, 2013
A master of disquiet, Kurosawa touches on the forbidden zones of our existence, exploring the unseen, and probing the unspeakable.