Dad's Army Reviews

• Jul 31, 2020

Good old men doing everything and sincerely for the country

Good old men doing everything and sincerely for the country

• May 09, 2020

As someone who has never seen an episode of the television show, I actually found 'Dad's Army' watchable. However, what lets this down is the plot which is extremely boring; all thanks to the film itself. They reveal the eventual plot twist to the audience incredibly early on, so you spend the vast majority of the film just waiting for the penny to drop for the characters - which takes a long time. They needed to keep it hidden for longer, or at the very least attempt to throw us off the scent. I quite like the cast in this, with a few famous names alongside some of the UK's lesser known but still recognisable faces; mostly from TV. Toby Jones, Bill Nighy, Catherine Zeta-Jones and Michael Gambon fall into the former category, they are all fine though you can tell they are far from their best. I did enjoy the ongoing gag of Jones resembling a certain former British prime minister, though. A more intriguing premise and I would've rated this slightly higher, but alas it is too dull.

• Apr 18, 2020

The casting is very inspired - the actors manage to capture the essence of the original characters while putting just enough of their own spin on things to avoid coming off as impersonators. At first I was skeptical of Tobey Jones as Captain Mainwaring but he nails the part of as the pompous but well intentioned captain. Elizabeth Mainwaring is pretty much exactly as I'd always imagined her. Catherine Zeta Jones is good too but her role felt a bit out of place because it was so large; the original series never gave so much screen time to any one-off character instead focusing on the main platoon. I also wish they had shown more of Jones, Frazer and Hodges as these characters have great potential for laughs. Overall though as someone who's a fan of the original I thought this was a good effort. Decent plot, great cast and often very funny, not overly 'modernized' compared to the original. Of course nothing will ever be as good as the original but this is a nice homage.

• Dec 30, 2018

Dad's Army's dubious plot is saved by a sterling bunch of British elder actors.

Dad's Army's dubious plot is saved by a sterling bunch of British elder actors.

• Nov 08, 2018

True to the BBC TV series.

True to the BBC TV series.

• Oct 06, 2018

Far better than it had any right to be, this often hilarious reworking of the classic British sitcom benefits from a terrific screenplay by Hamish McColl and pitch perfect performances from an A-list ensemble cast, who manage to pay homage to the originals while making their own mark. This is particularly true of Toby Jones, given the thankless task of following the inimitable Arthur Lowe. He is superb. Only Oliver Parker's rather sluggish direction holds things back.

• Oct 04, 2018

just watched it the other day. Sorry to say I am a little disappointed. most of the cast are great actors in some great roles, but I feel most of them have been miss cast here. the only one I think was pretty much right was Daniel Mays as Joe Walker. the guy got the part spot on and made it look natural. Toby Jones wasn't anywhere near Churchill'ish to be cptn Mainwareing. not prim and proper enough, nor portly and definetly not British-bulldog'ish enough Blake Harrison was a little too dashing for the weedy mummies boy role of Pike. Gambon - Sorry, far to much Gravatas to play simple, bumbling mr Godfrey. Bill Nightly was far to stern and not nearly fluffy enough for Sgt Wilson. Fraizer by paterson - oddly wasn't scotish enough. and if Tom Courtney wanted to play Jones, he should have aged the role far more... Jones was meant to be much older and almost verging on altimeters. Don't know why Mrs Mainwareing lost her "Hidden role" ... Casting aside the placement of key catchphrases was wrong and forced... why the hell would the original Jones say "they don't like it up em" in the grass camo bit near the end - there is no talk of using the rifles at that point, let alone Bayonets. As a great lover of the original Dads Army, seriously watching it since I was like 4 years old... I found this film to be a very poor attempt at copping the original. the cast all seem to be a very dry impression of their original counterparts (apart from Mays) the special effects seem a little over done - The U-Boat was deffinetly a bit over done for a tribute to a low budget show. It really is painful to me to see some of the best talent and wonderful stars perform so horribly doing what should be a simple and easy to accomplish respectful re-take. but instead they seem to take the poor script, the bad direction and the below-expectation locations along with the over hyped special effects and mash them all up with very poor impressions - Thats it... None of it looked like Natural Dads Army, It all seriously looked like poor actors (which they are not) trying and failing to do impressions of proper famous people, Forced and fake and over done to the point of getting it all hideously wrong - One star just because the cast names make the film worth at least trying to see.

• Aug 27, 2018

Reminded me of home, but wasn't very funny.

Reminded me of home, but wasn't very funny.

• Aug 27, 2018

The film that pop rover what many thought - that o one could ever replace the original cast of the TV series.Toby Jones makes a reasonably good job of Mainwaring but the rest of the cast leave much to desired. Utterly unfunny in the opening scenes it achieves something nine series on telly failed to provide and that was violence.Why did we need o see Mrs Mainwaring? We survived the TV series with only Mainwarings references to her and a rather enormous dent in the mattress on a top bunk. This was not the Mrs M we loved.Further more why has Frank suddenly acquired flat feet that stopped him enlisting? Wasn't' it actually a rare blood group?And Jones was a cook in the army it was Fraser in the navy. If you are a fan of the series give this wide berth. If you.'ve never seen the series give this a wide berth - and watch the series

• Jul 15, 2018

It's a disaster of errors, but has it's fun moments.

It's a disaster of errors, but has it's fun moments.