Dangal Reviews

• Jun 30, 2019

the best indian movie in the history

the best indian movie in the history

• Apr 29, 2019

Good movie. Tough but good father. Good actor. Loved him in PK too. Watched with Ali and Sheen in Ireland (04/30/18)

• Apr 14, 2019

wonderfully understated

wonderfully understated

• Nov 16, 2018

The film Dangal, starring Aamir Khan, is based on a true story in countryside India. The father was once a successful wrestler but was forced to give up his dream due to financial straits. He hopes that his sons could fulfill his dream but he only has four daughters. However, he discovers the striking talents of wrestling in his two daughters by accident. Then the father trains the daughters strictly and finally they become champions. The inspirational scenes of wrestling in the movie are so amazing that they arouse strong passion among audience. When watching the final scene in which Geeta defeats her opponent in the final round and the national anthem starts for her championship, I got moved because their father's dream is finally fulfilled after various frustrations and Geeta eventually becomes a successful woman with self value, which is contrasted with the traditional female images in India. She experienced a harsh childhood. Her strong ambition as well as masculine appearance always couldn't be understood by people with traditional Hindustani mind. She is also torn between the hardline approaches of her father and the theory-oriented approach by her coach and fell into confusion after she attends the sports academy. But at the time that she wins in the international competition and the national flag rises for her, we could see that fortunately, all her hard work pays off. The status of women in athletic field gains recognition. And that exciting moment also marked that the deep-rooted stereotype that women are destined to depend on their husband could be alleviate in Indian people's mind. The film emphasizes nationalism and feminism. The patriarchal father definitely loves their daughters deeply, which could be revealed in the wedding scene. In countryside Indian society, women usually don't have any right to fulfill their own dreams, but Geeta's father firmly allows their daughters to challenge the tradition. He believes that his daughters are so excellent that they shouldn't be chosen by men in marriage. Furthermore, I want to say that the actors in the film are all extremely devoted. I hear from the news that Aamir Khan changes his posture rapidly during the shoot of the film in order to fit the appearance of the father in different periods. Also, the wrestling scenes performed by the daughters are amazing. They remind me of the fighting scenes in Deewar(1975) in which Vijay fights against the villains in a warehouse. Both of them succeed in shocking the audience and the win of the protagonist could push the plot into climax. Compared to earlier melodramatic Bollywood films, Dangal appears to be authentic and convincing. This inspirational story of how women from Indian countryside win wrestling champion step by step could inspire audience.

• Nov 16, 2018

Dangal impresses me by its interesting plots and powerful emotion behind it. I always think that a sports movie must be boring, but Dangal changes my mind. The dramatic tension attracts audiences' interest, which makes the film successful. I remember the first impressive scene is that Geeta competed with a boy and lost the game. I thought she would win the game since the film uses a long time to portray that no one trusts her. In a general filming way, the film must prove that she has the ability since she is trained well. However, the result contradicts my assumption, which attracts me to know later plots. It also serves as the motivation for Geeta to practice harder. Moreover, I love the scene from 01:14:44 to 01:16:34 which portrays Geeta's international championship and Babita's national championship at the same time. This film emphasizes the importance of the father's role in children's life. This scene uses rapid cuts of two daughters' championship to show that they need to listen to their father's instructions. This instruction here is not only the simple instruction for competition but also the instruction for their life. Geeta's failure and Babita's success makes the strong comparison that increases the dramatic tension that Geeta must get father's help to win the game. The way that the film depicts Geeta's and Babita's experience makes the film become more interesting and attracts audiences' attention. Compared to Dangal, Bollywood films sometimes depict the importance of the mother's role in children's life. In Mother India, the father seems to be a useless person, and the mother can support the whole family. Mother is always willing to sacrifice and devote themselves to children. Thomas says in "Melodrama and The Negotiation of Morality," "In a Hindi film, a mother's love for her son is always unquestionable and appears to serve as the prototype of all kinship emotion" (Thomas 167). The sentence reveals that the difference between the mother's love and the father's love is that the mother will love the son without thinking about political or economic benefits. However, the father always forces children to marry people that they do not want to, and it is hard for them to show their love. In Qayamat Se Qayamat Ta and Veer Zaara, fathers serve as roles who forces children to achieve their goals. However, Dangal shows a different father's character who loves his daughter, cries when the daughter says sorry, and begs the coach to treat his daughter well. I am impressed when he speaks to the coach to help Geeta wins the competition when Geeta first joins the training. He has strong self-esteem, and he does not like to show his weaknesses. However, the contradiction that he begs due to his daughter makes me understand he loves the daughter. I can see his love as the same way when I see mother's love in Mother India that both of them are willing to sacrifice. I would like to see a different father's image who loves daughters and shows his passion in Dangal.

• Nov 15, 2018

The film Dangal, starring Amir Khan, Fatima Sana Shaikh, and Sanya Malhotra, tells the true story of a family's journey to athletic success. After Mahavir Singh Phogat is unable to win a wrestling medal for his country, he trains his two daughters, Geeta and Babita, to achieve his unattained success. Throughout the film, the audience sees the physical and societal obstacles that this family faces in pursuit of this athletic glory. Despite the father's initial coercion of his dreams onto his daughters, the film actually brings a sense of empowerment to the audience. The montages of the daughters' training highlight their difficulties both physically and socially, making their successes that much more inspiring. The wrestling scenes are so well choreographed and realistic, allowing the audience to feel the wrestlers' struggle. When the daughters are standing victorious and proud in front of their country, the audience cannot help but feel empowered. One of the most prominent themes in this film is nationalism and pride. As stated by Tejaswini Ganti, the film explores the idea of "constructing a national identity" that honors the country (Ganti 32, "Bollywood"). In this film, the father wants to contribute to this honor by becoming a nationally established wrestling coach. This theme of nationalism becomes a factor in the relationship between the father and the daughters. Specifically, the daughters initially conflict with their father because of his demanding trainings and expectations. However, this conflict is fueled by the father's unfulfilled desire to make his country proud through sport. This father-daughter dynamic can also be seen in Diwale Dulhania Le Jayenge (DDLJ). In DDLJ, Simran's relationship with her father is strained when she wants to marry someone the father does not believe is a true Hindustani. In this case, the father's sense of national morality causes his conflicting relationship with his daughter. Both films showcase a strained father-daughter relationship that is partially caused by the father's nationalistic pride. As a whole, Dangal is a film that empowers the audience through its incorporation of themes of nationalism and struggle.

• Oct 17, 2018

A solid 5/5, the acting of Aamir Khan is incredibly breathtaking!

A solid 5/5, the acting of Aamir Khan is incredibly breathtaking!

• Oct 17, 2018

Always evergreen movie ??????

Always evergreen movie ??????

• Oct 04, 2018

Such an inspirational movie !!!

Such an inspirational movie !!!