Dead Calm Reviews

• 1d ago

I think that this is a very underrated film. I was very impressed with the whole casts acting, and it was very well-made. I really enjoyed watching it, and would definitely recommend. It was very suspenseful and thrilling, and I think it hit all the right spots.

• Jan 18, 2021

Dead Calm takes a bit to get where it wants to but thanks to great perfomances and nice direction? it nails what it wants to do. (7/10)

• Dec 17, 2020

As taut as a bowline, but just imagine this with a terrifyingly shirtless Orson Welles instead of Billy Zane.

Mark B Super Reviewer
    Oct 15, 2020

A cautionary tale about helping others stranded at sea. Introduced Nicole Kidman to Hollywood (and Tom Cruise).

• Jun 17, 2020

An effective and claustrophobic thriller that introduced Nicole Kidman to the world. Taut and suspenseful.

• Apr 27, 2020

Exciting white-knuckle thriller directed with flash and polish by Phillip Noyce.

• Mar 22, 2020

3.25* It must have been a lot better in the '80s. Not that it's bad now but it's lost a lot of it's punch. It's a standard thriller that's somewhat predictable (except for some really stupid decisions). But the acting is really good... led by a young Nicole Kidman, the dick from Titanic and Sam Neill. And it kept me interested for most of it, which is always a plus. I wouldn't go so far as to recommend it, but if you're fan of 80s thrillers you could a lot A LOT worse than Dead Calm.

• Oct 02, 2018

Paranoia seeps from a film that knows showing is better than telling, keeping the film minimalist throughout. The soundtrack leaves MUCH to be desired, though. Absolutely grating.

• Jul 21, 2018

Entertaining Australian thriller from the filmmakers behind the Mad Max films. It follows a couple, played by Sam Neill (John Ingram) and Nicole Kidman (Rae Ingram) who are sailing seemingly alone around the wide open seas of the Pacific off Australia on their yacht. Neill plays an experienced sailor with Her Majesty's Australian Navy. All of a sudden the peace or dead calm is interrupted as the yacht stumbles on a seemingly sinking ship on the horizon. A figure appears from the ship in the form of someone using a dinghy to row to the yacht. The figure is played by Billy Zane (Hughie Warriner) who some may remember from roles including Titanic. The Zane character is a mysterious one. His story just does not have much credence and so old Sam rows over to the ship to investigate for himself leaving Zane alone with Nicole (Rae in the film). Big mistake. Zane breaks out of his cabin and physically attacks Rae at the controls of the yacht to take control himself! Sam Neil is left alone on a seemingly sinking ship taking in water with a dodgy engine. What follows is 90 minutes or so of terror as Zane and Rae play a game of cat and mouse to control the yacht whilst Sam Neil struggles at an ever increasing distance away on the ship. The film marks one of the first of Kidman before her foray with Tom Cruise! The sailing scenes were actually shot on The Great Barrier Reef I learned during the end credits. I grew increasingly frustrated at some of Rae's incompetence. A primary example being in taking so long to make use of a gun on board and then inadvertently shooting her pet dog dead with a shark gun/arrow. Poor dog! The story moves along at a good pace. Just the right run time. A film that is not reward potential of course but an entertaining little thriller all the same. A good introduction to the talent of Nicole Kidman with the experience of Sam Neill and evil of Zane. Australia knows how to make entertaining cinema.

• Jun 19, 2018

I was so ready for the thrill ride since I am ready to see Dead Calm which is filled with scares, terror and you guys are waiting to know what is happening and getting you on the edge of your seat like myself to be include. This movie stars Sam Neill, a very young Nicole Kidman and Billy Zane. It had that very evocative plot and story it executes really well. It's really like you swimming in the middle of nowhere and then you thinking about how are you gonna get back. The thrills are great, the acting is unbelievable and I quite like the cinematography in this film. Dead Calm is a film that you have to stay calm while you watch it, I mean DEAD calm! I would recommend it if you are a fan of psychological thrillers. If you haven't seen Dead Calm, go watch it! It's just great!