Dead Silence - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Dead Silence Reviews

½ November 24, 2016
His movie scares the hell out of me.
November 21, 2016
good movie, unless you don't like dolls
November 1, 2016
I think this was a decent horror film!
October 20, 2016
So i will start this off by saying it wasn't overall horrible. It was okay to watch once. I watched it with friends and it was a fun time but overall not very scary.
½ October 19, 2016
"Beware the stare of Mary Shaw. She had no children only dolls. And if you see her in your dreams. You must never, ever scream." Fortunately for you, "Dead Silence" is so devoid of scares, you're likely to be as silent as the grave.
½ October 15, 2016
Half of this looked promising, but unfortunately, the suspense and scares were too predictable to point out! Jamie isn't quite that sympathetic here, since Ryan Kwanton had a hard enough time trying to act as Jason Stackhouse from True Blood. The man looks better playing a model than at having a career as an actor. Just ignore this flick if you find it!
October 9, 2016
A sensory, visual delight. The plot (which isn't too bad) almost doesn't matter. This is sure to become a firm favourite in our household.
½ September 19, 2016
It was boring, Jamie is boring. The doll creeps you out just with its presence and the ending was anticlimactic.
August 25, 2016
I'm surprise of the low rating of this film! It's not an awful horror film but it was a pretty entertaining one! I wish the film was a strong as the ending!! I didn't see that ending coming!
½ August 12, 2016
As a movie it doesn't really hold up. As a horror movie it deserves some credit for some atmospheric chill and some genuine scares, but it's cheap tricks for the most part and the twist at the ending is just painfully obvious. James Wan still seems to be polishing up his scare tactics here before really hitting hard later with hits like "The Conjuring" and "Insidious".
½ August 12, 2016
The twist is pretty predictable but there are some decent scares. Decent early effort by James Wan.
½ August 8, 2016
I've only seen a few doll horror movies cause I'm afraid of them but this one either cured of worsened my fear.I really hate those ventriloquist puppet things.
August 7, 2016
omg, absolutely terrible.
½ July 19, 2016
Dead Silence has a promising premise, and effectively emulates the eerie retro look of horror classics. Unfortunately all this potential is squandered with a weak script, dull characters, non-scary kills, and a short 89 minute running time (5 minutes of which are spent on opening credits), all concluding with an uninteresting twist ending. Any creepy moments here are mild and intermittent.
July 18, 2016
There are two things in this world that creeps the hell out of me: the first being clowns and the second being evil puppets. Terrifyingly enough, this movie has both! Now, I'll be honest here and say that I didn't expect much out of this film. In fact, I was but a word of discouragement away from skipping it altogether. But I'm very pleased that I didn't, because this was so much better than I first gave it credit for. In similiarity to Insidious, it's a very atmospheric production, with spooky, nightmarish settings, enveloped in mist and spine-tingling tension. Although the characters are one-dimensional and pretty brainless in their actions, there's a lot to love about the movie in terms of scare factors and excitement. All-around, the directing is superb, and it feels like one of those old-school horror movies that I used to watch as a kid. Surely not to everyone's taste, but if you like Kwan's other films, then you'll probably enjoy this one as well. And did I mention how seriously creepy it is?
July 12, 2016
really cheesy and paint by numbers, bland plot, but good james wan jump scares and soundtrack.
July 11, 2016
James Wan does it again with another fantastic horror film that will scare you silly and has the MOST jaw dropping, nail biting, Nightmare Fueling twist that will leave you speechless!
July 7, 2016
"Dead Silence" is an odd horror film from the creators of the "Saw" franchise. Ventriloquist dummies are creepy enough as is but this story goes beyond the doll and focuses on the puppetmaster. Simply put, it's a total creepfest. It has some similarities to "Saw" like its use of puppets and a mind-bending twist that completely alters your perspective. Unfortunately, its story lacks the depth found in other Leigh Whannell scripts like "Saw" or "Insidious" and the acting falls short of the quality expected in modern horror films. The film builds a lot of suspense but the story is so thin and disjointed that the suspense doesn't mean much. I found it to be the sort of horror film that won't give you nightmares because it is so unrealistic. The content would have been terrifying if done in a realistic way but the supernatural elements take away a lot of the scare factor. When I watch a horror film, I want to be terrified because my empathy psychologically puts me in the position of the terrorized character. I don't want to feel indifference as someone's tongue is cut out because the situation isn't relatable. I also don't want to be left wondering why simple questions weren't answered. Like, why does someone have to scream in order for Mary to kill them? Or why is the cop continually shaving his neck? It would've taken 20 seconds to explain a number of these plot points but we are left in the dark for no reason. That being said, I have to compliment this film for ending with one of the most insane twists that I have ever seen. I was disappointed with the first 85 minutes of the film, but the last minute was so incredulous that I'm actually glad that I sat through this. The film obviously falls far short of classics like "Psycho" and "The Sixth Sense" but its twist is somehow worthy of being mentioned in the same sentence. The answer is right there all along but you will never see it coming. You wouldn't expect an average horror film to have the continuity that sets up the ending from the opening credits through the final scene, but this one does a great job. It's definitely one of those films that you will appreciate more once you go back and watch a few key scenes. Even with this amazing plot twist, the story again suffers because the big reveal lacks clarity. It isn't one on those things where the writers want to make us interpret the ending in our own way; instead, they assume that the audience can figure a piece of the puzzle out on their own but some Googling has revealed that nobody actually fully understands it. There is a difference between allowing the audience to make inferences throughout a film and failing to properly explain an important piece of information. Dolls are up there with clowns and scary basements when it comes to creepy things that we commonly encounter throughout our lives and "Dead Silence" brings a fresh interpretation to this classic horror device. Unfortunately, its interpretation is overshadowed by too much reliance on the supernatural and an overall lack of clarity.
½ July 6, 2016
let me be honest, this is NOT the best movie I've seen, but it is really far up there. I found this movie on Netflix and it didn't seem like much because it was a not too well known movie. I started watching it and by the end I was shocked. the way everything just comes together at the end is hands down AMAZING! it's like, you spend the whole movie trying to figure out what is what but then at the end it's just something you would never suspect. Some of the quotes from this movie are absolutely brilliant for the characters. this is a MUST watch, especially on a friends night.
July 4, 2016
I'm pretty sure the concept of actual "dead silence" is scarier than the movie "Dead Silence". Feels like a movie middle school kids watch at a sleepover. Hokey, old-fashioned (in a bad way), and abounding in horror clichés.