Dear John Reviews

• Feb 24, 2020

Even though it panders the the problematic depiction commonly presented by Nicholas Sparks with all the cliches, you can't help but admire how well it's filmed and acted, as well as the depictions of families dealing with autism.

• Feb 22, 2020

I didn’t get attach to the actors to feel bad for them, but a good movie to kill time.

• Feb 09, 2020

Not bad but not good

Not bad but not good

• Jan 27, 2020

I think i would have had more fun changing my cats litter box, then to watch this sh*t again. Absolutely hilarious to compare this with how emotional ‘The Notebook' was... The chemistry between John and Savannah was appalling; not to mention how poorly the both of them acted throughout... And no raunchy sex scene? I thought this was a Channing Tatum romantic chick flick? Boring... The climax of the movie – unexpected – although super unsatisfying... SHE JUST LEAVES? AND HE BURNS ALL THE LETTERS? COOL. There goes my Friday afternoon... The entire plot was blander then the dead father's Sunday lasagne. After all of the recommendations I had from friends to watch this movie and get a good cry, my eyes are dryer than a grandma's pus*y. Its like watching a C- levelled highschool film assignment. i'm not even going to address how weird it was that she just randomly marries some old dude out of guilt in the end… THATS THE CONCLUSION?? LOL. Don't watch it. OR do - but play it during a friendly gathering if you want the guests to f*ck off to home early.

• Dec 29, 2019

I was expecting a bad romance film but damn, this was horrible. It's moving so slow trying to present various serious matters but without actually saying something. No concrete plot, no concrete dialogues, no realism. Nothing to hold on to.

• Aug 14, 2019

Channing Tatum and Amanda Seyfried have good romantic chemistry and their performances aren't terrible but the story is full of Nicholas Sparks cliches and generic writing though I never felt like I was watching a bad movie. There weren't any moments where I yelled "Shut up!" or "End, damn you!". Just thought this was painfully average.

• Apr 18, 2019

Channing Tatum and Amanda Seyfried are both likeable onscreen and they have great chemistry with each other, and at times made this awful movie bearable. This movie isn't just formulaic and overly sentimental, it's also exploitative. The time period of this movie isn't clear until the second act, where we're shown a news footage of a terrorist attack on the World Trade Center. It's distasteful because it's used as the stake to their relationship, as 9/11 motivates John to re-enlist for two more years, making Savannah upset. But every conflict is resolved quickly in this film because it's an idealized romantic drama with the PERFECT couple. And it doesn't stop there. The movie also exploits autism. The autistic kid and even John's autistic dad are only autistic to make Savannah look like a saint. She doesn't drink. She doesn't smoke. She doesn't fuck anyone (except John). The only thing she does that makes her character less than perfect is "curse", in her head. She also has a line about how horses can sense danger and evil and that autistic kids have it too. Yes, there's a line about that, and Savannah even had a camp called "Camp Horse Sense". But wait, there's more. In the third act, John's dad has a stroke, and a character that we barely know (but is an important part of the two main character's life) named Tim is suddenly struck with cancer. It's these contrived moments that tries to wring tears from the target audience, but it's never earned. We have an annoying friend of Savannah (Randy) who has a crush on her, and gets instantly jealous when she develops a relationship with John. John also has a lame monologue about coins. He thought about coins when he got shot because his dad is a coin collector, and even creates a metaphor between his life and coins. "I am a coin in the United States Army. I was minted in the year 1980. I've been punched from sheet metal. I've been stamped and cleaned, and my ridges have been rimmed and beveled. And now I have two small holes in me. I'm no longer in perfect condition." Yes, these are actual lines from the movie... at the beginning of the movie. And the payoff with his father's coin collection is to pay for Tim's treatment because it's worth a lot of money. Of course, he dies in the end because the movie has to predictably end with John and Savannah reuniting back together. The movie also has too many montages. The letters that John and Savannah send to each other and John's military service are shown through multiple montages that last up to about three minutes. It's as if the script for this movie was missing a second act. Out of all the Nicholas Sparks movie adaptations so far, Dear John is the second best. When a movie this awful is the second best of the Nicholas Sparks lineups, it makes me wish that Nicholas Sparks would stop writing so that Hollywood doesn't adapt his books into terrible movies. Though Dear John is bearable at times, it's a generic tearjerker that embodies everything a romantic drama shouldn't be.

• Apr 15, 2019

Dear John, Your film is shit. Yours sincerely, Me

Dear John, Your film is shit. Yours sincerely, Me

• Jan 15, 2019

âThe ending is absolutely the worst ending to a film ever waste of time watching it, n she left him for some D what a hoe.â? Molly Walker

• Dec 27, 2018

The storyline of this movie is good. Channing have a good acting. I loved him. Unfortunately, it's just that it has an ugly plot twist. I mean, it's like an abysmal responsibility to complete the storyline by making the last scene a little bland. imo