Detour Reviews

• Mar 27, 2019

A great Noir film by Edgar Ulmer that does not play out as a traditional Noir film. It moves like poetry as Al Roberts journey to be reunited with his love is thwarted by a series of misfortunes. Roberts sums it up best as he talks about the Saxophone player is not playing a love song but a dirge. Should be at the top of anyone's Noir list of films.

• Dec 20, 2018

A smart, unpredictable, and often overlooked film noir, Detour deserves to be recognized as one of the most clever movies of its genre.

• Apr 28, 2018

Everything about this film (except the cinematography) is wrong. Insane acting by Ann Savage. Weird, badly-written script. But it's one of the most mesmerizing movies I've ever seen! Can hardly wait to see it again.

• Nov 18, 2017

The good kind of ridiculous

The good kind of ridiculous

• Sep 15, 2017

It was so much fun to watch Detour again on a early Fall Friday evening! I love old black-and-white classics that give us a good tale in 60 minutes.

• Jul 22, 2017

What is most intriguing about Detour is its ability to convince us that Al Roberts is just unlucky, but with more than enough hints that tells us he is lying even when it is physically being acted. Is it fantastical or can a man have this much misfortune is a question that if you aren't asking at the end of the movie then watch it again.

• Jul 21, 2017

This guy just can't get a break.

This guy just can't get a break.

• Jul 16, 2017

You know those Whose Line is it Anyway? skits that parody old Film Noir that is just trounced with inner monologue and misunderstanding. Imagine that but not as funny and actually pretty decent.

• Mar 21, 2017

A delicious delight. The moody direction and top notch performances make this a fine thriller. I appreciate it's lack of control. My review would have been higher, but I think it cuts off too quickly. A longer story would have fleshed out the characters a bit more to my liking.

• Jan 11, 2017

Turner Classic Movies is always a great way to grab a few Films Noir for later viewing, and I was pleased to finally get around to crossing this one off the list. The story of a poor bastard caught in the wrong place at the wrong time, when a man he catches a ride from suffers a coronary and dies, our hero tries to avoid letting anyone know lest they think he had something to do with the death. This eventually leaves him under the thumb of a manipulative Femme Fatale, and things get increasingly bleak. Great little low-\budget affair, and well worth tracking down if you are into the genre.