Diary of a Wimpy Kid - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Diary of a Wimpy Kid Reviews

January 18, 2017
It's good movie to watch
½ January 16, 2017
I HATE this "movie" . But you should of guess that, you reading a 1/2 star review. Never have I ever watched a movie with so many unlike able characters! It's also gross! Do you expect me to like a movie that makes me want to turn around and never look at the screen until this Monstrosity of film is over? Is it rude I didn't give it 1 star? No, because it sucked. But my gosh is Grayson Russel a good actor! Hey Nick, maybe put him in your TV movies. He'd make it a little less worse. But he couldn't save this one. I can describe wimpy kid with one word: Gross
½ January 16, 2017
Diary of a Wimpy Kid is one of my favorite book series. It's smart and hilarious. So as a fan of the books, I actually think this movie is an okay adaptation. It did follow the story pretty well and it did capture the characters correctly, although I did find Greg to be a bit meaner in this movie, but I still like him, and I really liked it when he took the blame for eating the Cheese to save Rowley. That was very nice. I think the film does manage to capture the humor of the book, with many hilarious moments. I think it's a nice little family movie. While the book is of course better, Diary of a Wimpy Kid is a sweet, funny little comedy
January 14, 2017
The movie is accurate to the book, but was the book even that good? I don't think so. The movie and book share flaws with bad luck from a bad person. Most of the movie is not enjoyable due to it being completely based on the book. It's fine to watch it a few times, but this movie is very forgettable.
½ January 10, 2017
A pretty good adaptation of one of my favorite novel series, however at times it feels very different and not very faithful to the book, but its not bad if you are a fan of the series like I am.
½ December 19, 2016
Amusing family fare. The cast were good.
November 19, 2016
Fun and laughable. Especially if you've read the books.
October 13, 2016
even with it's flaws diary of the wimpy kid is still very entertain film with some great humor.
October 8, 2016
This is one underrated gem. This could be better than it is. This film is better than it is given credit for.
October 7, 2016
Is way to childish even for kids.
September 24, 2016
i want to see it but its not lettin me :(
½ September 22, 2016
Admittedly, I liked this movie when I was younger. I loved the book series, so I was really excited to see the movie now that it was coming out (I barely found out there was a movie a week before it was supposed to come out).

Sadly, as time went by, I started seeing the major problems with the film, and I started to like it less. For a movie called "Diary of a WIMPY Kid", Greg Heffley is a bit of a jerk. He's too jerky to be likable. Apparently, we're supposed to root for him, hope that he will make it through the harshness of middle school. But because he is way too self-absorbed and insults everyone around him, it really shows how jerky he is. If he were more innocent (like Rowley), he'd be more likable and charming, but he claims to be smarter than everyone else and knows more than everyone else, which just makes him more jerky than wimpy. So, yeah, I don't really like this character, which kind of ruins the premise of "Diary of a WIMPY Kid".
August 23, 2016
Although this movie goes into Napoleon Dynamite levels of kid gloving (No middle-schoolers say darn), this movie is very relevant to how a kid might feel when he's arrogant, not popular, and hasn't hit puberty. So, kudos to the filmmakers for getting that aspect right.
½ August 12, 2016
For those who are fans of the book series, Diary of a Wimpy Kid is the movie for them. For movie-goers, you'll still find it entertaining.
August 1, 2016
Like most adults, I was under the impression that the wimpy kid series was nothing more than the latest fad in youth literature to hit the big screen. I figured it was just another kids movie and passed it off as such, but recently at a family event, I was forced to see parts of it and found it interesting, so I queued it up and as it turns out, this film was legitimately funny! Greg Heffley (Zachary Gordon) is about to start middle school, where all he wants to do is become popular, like his older brother was. Greg goes to extremes and displays some very odd behavior, as he and his best friend, try to enter the elite club of popularity. What's really interesting about these films are that most of the cast members have limited to no experience what-so-ever before being cast in a major motion picture. Some of them, like Gordon, are really talented, while others like Robert Capron are just awkward kids, who are just naturally funny in the way they carry themselves. The dynamics of a family film are always a very difficult thing, because if you don't take a few risks, it's a kids movie that the adults with be bored with. On the other hand, if you go too far, the film will get a PG-13, which means the kids won't be allowed to see it and your audience becomes very limited. The writers of Diary of a Wimpy Kid found the magic formula however, as they managed to create a cult classic, that is fun for kids, teens, and adults alike. The film has it moments and at least a few things that every single one of us can relate to. It certainly isn't goodfellas, but I thought this film was a lot of fun, and I can't believe I'm saying this, but I'm actually looking forward to checking out the sequels.
May 29, 2016
A good film for the 10-12 year old crowd. I dunno, I found it charming and my little siblings loved it very much.
May 27, 2016
Certainly not the best book-based movie, but it has childish humor and is entertaining enough to watch once.
May 16, 2016
Very Mean-Spirited, but can catch a few laughs from the characters
½ May 4, 2016
Is Diary of a Wimpy Kid the most resonating coming-of-age movie out there? No. Is it going to subvert the genre for years to come? No. What it is, however, is harmless family entertainment. That's all it's trying to be, and it's not all that bad. It has its fair share of clichés and predictable plot points, and the plot is little more than a series of vignettes with a very basic storyline holding them together, the film has a nice sense of heart that's almost too charming to hate. Much of that charm comes from the chemistry between the two leads, played by Zachary Gordon and Robert Capron. Their relationship has the standard ups-and-downs of your typical film of this type, but they completely sell their characters and make for surprisingly likeable leads. It's not Oscar winning acting, obviously, but it gets the job done. Don't expect too much from this one, and you might just get some mild enjoyment out of it.
½ March 11, 2016
Quite a cute little movie, actually. It had me laughing throughout, it had a lot of heart, and it was fun. Risk yourself the cheese-touch and see Diary of a Wimpy Kid, especially if you have kids.