Dinosaurs Alive! 3D - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Dinosaurs Alive! 3D Reviews

½ May 29, 2012
Narrated by Michael Douglas, this former IMAX entry focuses on some researchers doing recent work in areas of both the Gobi Desert and New Mexico. What they've found has led to new discoveries and changed even further the way in which we should look at dinosaurs. For instance, some of their evidence suggests that instead of Velociraptors' hide being a pebbly reptilian like substance, they were instead heavily feathered like modern day birds are. The video explores the evolution of dinosaurs and their close relationship with modern day birds, as well as their relationship with modern day reptiles such as crocodiles. A brief history of an early archaeologist named Roy Chapman Andrews is also given (said to be the inspiration for Indiana Jones ), as he had led expeditions in to both of these areas many, many years ago, back in the 1920s or so. Interspersed between all of the live action documentary segments are snippets of some great CGI dinosaur action, helping explain what Michael Douglas is talking about throughout the film. But, as can happen with library DVDs this one was heavily scratched, so the second half of the documentary was chopped up quite a bit. Overall I got the gist and enjoyed the DVD a lot. Man I love dinosaurs!!
September 25, 2011
Dont buy very limited 3d effects
January 9, 2011
Michael Douglas as the narrator? Should have used someone with a more soothing voice (i.e. Nick Schatzki) to do the narration. Douglas is great as an actor but he doesn't have the rhythm to do narration.

The scenery was beautiful (especially the fly-overs) but it was a very small part of the movie.

The first few minutes of the movie showing the battle between the two dinosaurs was very good. The rest of the dinosaur graphics were horrible.

And the people portion of the movie showed them huddled over fossils or wielding shovels and pick axes. The movie jumped back/forth from one find to another without developing enough of a plot.

I could tell it was an IMAX production because it was SHORT (40 minutes).
The plot in such a show HAS to be tightly condensed but they missed the mark here. Can't really explain much in a show just a few minutes longer than a TV sitcom.
January 15, 2009
Documental de la National Geographic pero a lo 3D. Impresionante experiencia aunque nos quedamos con ganas de ver mas dinosaurios. Como docu es interesante y correctamente realizado.
January 11, 2009
Un documental interesante, no esta mal, corto y con muy buenos efectos visuales, sobre todo si lo ves en el Imax, que aunque disponga de malas y sucias instalaciones si tiene grandes medios tecnicos, en definitiva, ver acercarse a un Brontosaurio hacia ti en 3D no deja de ser una experiencia y una pasada
August 7, 2008
This was ok but took kids to see it and everybody was disappointed with this particular "Imax" experience . Most of the kids found it boring.
April 27, 2008
it was ok it was the kinda movie that made you think
March 26, 2008
I already saw it in 3D it's not that bad.
March 24, 2008
Am I expecting too much from dinosaur films or are they just not any good? The only thing near interesting was the archaeologists and how they got to the fossils.
½ November 30, 2007
This was a pretty huge letdown. While the story of the archaeologists was interesting the parts with the dinosaurs were embarrassingly bad. The animation work is absolutely horrible. A huge let down given the quality of most of the previous OMNI-MAX movies I've seen.
November 19, 2007
There are few things I love as much as dinosaurs, but this just wasn't as good as I had hoped.
½ November 12, 2007
The animation is cool... sort of. And the 3D usually poor. The shots generally aren't of IMAX quality, and who can forget about the laughable 'paleontologist' Sterling Nesbit? The film refers to a couple of famous archaeologists by their first name only. The random dinosaur claws make no sense and serve no purpose other than to scare old ladies and children. The classical-style majestic music doesn't fit at all. It's just kind of a mixed-up movie. But it's far better than T-Rex: Back to the Cretaceous.
October 12, 2007
It is a great documentary about dinosaurs.
September 20, 2007
Holy shit they turned the volume up to 11! Hello. Hello? I can't hear a thing. Don't take kids to this movie, unless you want them frightened and deaf.
July 23, 2007
I hope that it is good
June 22, 2007
Oh this movie is a hot mess. So many things wrong with it. Gah!! I do so hate having to see it at least once a week.
June 13, 2007
Really, really, really bad graphics.
April 18, 2007
looks very interesting enjoy these ones
½ April 16, 2007
informative and the poop was entertaining other wise it was ok