Disgrace Reviews

• May 09, 2020

This is an adaptation from a novel with the same name written by J.M. Coetzee. I don't understand why some novels are adapted into movies. I just can't comprehend what's accomplished. What I noticed pretty quickly was that it was harder to empathize with the character in the movie. Whereas, in the novel, you really feel like you are experiencing the world through the character. You're not shut out the same way you are when you view him on the screen. Rather than engaging with the character it just feels like you are spending time with a friend, a friend who comes across as rather stuck up. These are rather harsh statements I'm making. But perhaps with translations such as these we should first and foremost try to find a way to, as Ishmael so eloquently puts it, penetrate the wall that is appearances. On a more superficial level, I could absolutely recommend this adaptation but again I am forced to wonder, to what purpose? It is a book, and it is well written, why not read the book? Are these adaptations for people who cannot read or who have no imagination of their own? Or are we supposed to assume that what we are seeing is Coetzee's story as imagined by someone who read it?

• Nov 09, 2015

WOW......WOW....WOW......WOW.....WOW.....SUCH A BEAUTIFUL, BRILLIANT MOVIE 2 WATCH WITH A FANTASTIC CAST THROUGHOUT THIS MOVIE IT IS SUCH A POWERFUL DRAMA MOVIE 2 WATCH, BUT IT IS SUCH A BRILLIANT MOVIE 2 WATCH WITH A SUPERB CAST THROUGHOUT THIS MOVIE....... WARNING THIS MOVIE CONTAINS STROBE LIGHTNING EFFECTS THROUGHOUT SOME SCENES THROUGHOUT THIS MOVIE.......

• Jun 23, 2015

Strange story of alienation in alien nation. What america could have been if the englishes had not completed their invasion maybe.South Africa at the time of passing of the powers to the africans natives. An old white prof takes advantage of one student and life takes an ironic revenge, coincidentally. His daughter is taken advantage of and likes it. For me, it's a clash of societies that hurts because of their respective psychopaths. The women, especially the black-skinned ones are incredibly beautiful in this film. They stand out so much. Please, move to Canada!

• Jun 23, 2015

• Jan 25, 2014

I read this book at book club and really enjoyed it. The film is just as good. John Malcovich is well cast in the lead role. His performance holds the film together - some parts are uncomfortable to watch

• Jan 11, 2014

This film bothers me. It took me a while to get into the characters, they are rather unique. The story is interesting. The main character is very well written. I guess it is good, since I am still thinking with the choices they make. Not perfect, but very intriguing.

• Oct 04, 2013

As the film progresses early on, and even more so as it enters the second half, it becomes clearly evident that not a single lead character in this story has any redeeming qualities whatsoever. David Lautie (John Malkovich) is an unlikable villain from the start, and as the film slowly limps along, his daughter Lucy (Jessica Haines) and her good for nothing neighbor Petrus (Eriq Ebouaney) follow suit. Lucy at first appears strong and charismatic, but then loses ground to weakness and poor decision making. The underlying story of the struggles between Lucy and Petrus gets lost in the mumbled shallowness of their roles. It's hard to completely devote yourself to a story (even one compelling as this) when midway through the film you begin to realize that you don't really care what happens to anyone involved. Granted, not all characters in a film need to be 'likable' to deliver a moving and thought provoking script, but when ALL characters fall flat, the film does as well.

• Jul 10, 2013

wow. what did i just watch. Disgrace is the perfect name. Good film for analysis

• Feb 06, 2013

Brilliant movie - you forget you are watching John Malkovich (rare for me to experience in his movies) he embodies the character to perfection. Tackles some full on issues but doesn't feel draining to watch.

• Jan 17, 2013

Interesting premise of a rapist who got what he had coming. Unfortunately, the production does not manage to strip the low-budget look it has. Slow to begin, the film eventually finds its own rhythm but too late. John Malkovich may have been a good choice but he overdoes his part and comes off as detached and lacking commitment. Some of the decisions made by Jessica Haines' character are difficult to understand for people who have never been exposed to South African native culture.