The Dish Reviews

• Jul 23, 2019

The first time I watched this quiet comedy around the time of its release, I was about sixteen on an international flight to Rome, and cried more heavily during the footage from the moonwalk than I ever have on a plane since. Nearly two decades later, and thanks mostly to a beguiling Sam Neill, I still found the movie quaintly charming, if not quite as moving as the events it depicts.

• Mar 21, 2019

One of my all time favourites. The soundtrack is incredible and Sam Neill is great in it.

• Aug 16, 2018

Overall, The Dish is easily one my top 5 favourite Australian films. There is a great story here to be told and the actors have made it easy to fall in love with its characters (well, expect for a couple maybe, lol). I personally feel it's a shame the Bluray transfer wasn't consistent as some scenes don't look and sound solid until the film's third act. Either way, it's rather enjoyable. - Finesse Movie Reviews

• Jan 22, 2018

Just like Australian people this movie is "warm and friendly". Before watching it I asked myself: the story of a big antenna, will be delivered well enough to make up for a good movie. My verdict: barely. But what saves it are not the fictionalizations (for me, the truer the better) but the images taken with that big antenna! The Moon Landing is an amazing moment in history, and this movie is a good reminder.

• Dec 28, 2017

Good movie. The lunar landing scene in particular was quite touching.

Good movie. The lunar landing scene in particular was quite touching.

• May 27, 2017

Love love love this delightful movie that gets everything right. Not to be missed!

• Jan 04, 2017

An interesting movie about Australia's role in the first man to land on the moon.

• Oct 25, 2016

The Dish is loosely based on the true story of the small Australian town that was one of the only places in the southern hemisphere with a dish of sufficient size to pick up transmissions from the Apollo 11 moon landing. The film introduces us to a handful of humorous characters who run the station. The actors are all quite good, even if Sam Neill's attempt at an Australian accent was muddled at best. Their interactions have that comfortable small-town feel as if they have known each other basically their entire lives. There are definitely moments that made me laugh, including one that was downright hilarious. However, The Dish was a very slight film. There isn't a whole lot that happens in the movie, the conflict is minimal, and the resolution is straightforward. In fact, I understand that the small amount of difficulty they experience was a fabrication of the script, so they even felt the need to punch up the history just to make it more engaging as a film. It's a small movie with a quaint feel, and if there were a clearer arc to the story it might be the kind of thing I would love. As presented I find The Dish to be a good nod to the Australian men-and-women who helped in this historic moment, and overall a pleasant film that I'd watch again but probably won't seek out.

• Sep 11, 2016

A fun, light relief comedy drama.

A fun, light relief comedy drama.

• May 25, 2016

If you could define a prototypical perfect Indie movie with the most bang for your buck, I'd say this movie.