The Dish Reviews

• Sep 29, 2020

This is a charming little film full of good wit and likable characters, the plot is standard stuff - but it's quite fun getting there.

• Jun 22, 2020

I was eight years old when the Apollo 11 mission happened and still remember huddling with my family around our TV to watch Neil Armstrong be the first human to set foot on the moon. This film is an under appreciated gem that perfectly captures life in a small community thrust into the limelight. It is one of my favorite Sam Neil performances but the entire cast is fantastic. And the use of the song "Classical Gas" by Mason Williams the first time the film shows "The Dish" in action was an inspired choice.

• Apr 13, 2020

Great movie. I highly recommend it.

Great movie. I highly recommend it.

• Mar 13, 2020

one of the really good Aussie movies

one of the really good Aussie movies

• Jul 23, 2019

The first time I watched this quiet comedy around the time of its release, I was about sixteen on an international flight to Rome, and cried more heavily during the footage from the moonwalk than I ever have on a plane since. Nearly two decades later, and thanks mostly to a beguiling Sam Neill, I still found the movie quaintly charming, if not quite as moving as the events it depicts.

• Mar 21, 2019

One of my all time favourites. The soundtrack is incredible and Sam Neill is great in it.

• Aug 16, 2018

Overall, The Dish is easily one my top 5 favourite Australian films. There is a great story here to be told and the actors have made it easy to fall in love with its characters (well, expect for a couple maybe, lol). I personally feel it's a shame the Bluray transfer wasn't consistent as some scenes don't look and sound solid until the film's third act. Either way, it's rather enjoyable. - Finesse Movie Reviews

• Jan 22, 2018

Just like Australian people this movie is "warm and friendly". Before watching it I asked myself: the story of a big antenna, will be delivered well enough to make up for a good movie. My verdict: barely. But what saves it are not the fictionalizations (for me, the truer the better) but the images taken with that big antenna! The Moon Landing is an amazing moment in history, and this movie is a good reminder.

• Dec 28, 2017

Good movie. The lunar landing scene in particular was quite touching.

Good movie. The lunar landing scene in particular was quite touching.

• May 27, 2017

Love love love this delightful movie that gets everything right. Not to be missed!