Downfall (Der Untergang) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Downfall (Der Untergang) Reviews

July 16, 2017
Questo a mio parere non Ŕ un film, ma una forma diversa di ricostruzione storica. Impossibile giudicarne la veridicitÓ o il realismo, visto il livello di dettaglio con cui vengono raccontati gli eventi. Sembra uno di quei film educativi che ci facevano vedere a scuola, lunghissimo e noioso, solo per appassionati di storia.
½ July 10, 2017
A truly stellar film that captures the last days of Hitler. Captivating from start to finish. Great acting work all around.
July 8, 2017
Downfall is a momunental account of hitler's last days and the terrible decline seen by the prospective of his human side rather than his madness.
July 2, 2017
A great performance by Bruno Ganz
½ July 1, 2017
In 1942, young Traudl Junge (Alexandra Maria Lara) lands her dream job -- secretary to Adolf Hitler (Bruno Ganz) at the peak of his power. Three years later, Hitler's empire is now his underground bunker. The real-life Traudl narrates Hitler's final days as he rages against imagined betrayers and barks orders to phantom armies, while his mistress, Eva Braun (Juliane K÷hler), clucks over his emotional distance, and other infamous Nazis prepare for the end.
June 29, 2017
Great film about the final days of the European theater, in World War II. Bruno Ganz is amazing.
½ June 26, 2017
I've been watching a lot of foreign films lately. Here's an excellent German film about Hitler's last days hiding out in a bunker as the Russians slowly advanced toward Berlin during World War 2. The movie is based on the memoirs of a young secretary who worked for Hitler. It shows Hitler's descent into madness as he realizes that he is losing the war and finally commits suicide along with his lover, Eva Braun. Many begged Hitler to leave the bunker but he refuses. He is brilliantly played by Bruno Ganz. The actor who portrays Joseph Goebbels looks extremely evil.
½ June 9, 2017
"Downfall" is a daring account of the last days of Nazi rule made all the more striking by unrelenting themes of corruption and the desperation of clinging to power.
½ June 6, 2017
No complaints here. Downfall is a well-acted and well-directed account of the Final days of Hitler, told from the German perspective. I wander what was going through these actors' minds as they played these characters.
June 1, 2017
From profound German order to near anarchy, Der Untergang provides an insider's witness into the emotional loss and emptiness of a failing socialist tyranny.
May 27, 2017
"Wow", is the only word to describe this moving, accurate and realistic reconstruction of the downfall of Hitler and Nazi Germany. Ganz is perfect in the role of Adolf Hitler, and the execution of the film is on-point to deliver the atmosphere, brutality and slowly growing insanity in the last hours of the Nazi's rule.
May 18, 2017
Powerful film about the fall of one of the most evil and cruel men in history.
½ April 7, 2017
Great film with an even greater cast.
March 23, 2017
Incredibly daring and completely engrossing.
February 7, 2017
Downfall, or Der Untergang in German, is directed by Oliver Hirschbiegel, and it stars Bruno Ganz and Alexandra Maria Lara in a historical war drama about the final days of Adolf Hitler during World War II and how Germany went into surrender to Russia forces. I remember when I first known about this film, and that's from YouTube when they show many Hitler parodies that play this movie with Hitler complaining about something when the translation is about something else that's recent news in a hilarious way. I would've got the chance to watch Downfall again in Holocaust class, but we didn't have enough time to watch it, so we watch something else. Luckily for me however, I managed to find it on Netflix, and watch it at a later time, which is now, and even when watching so many of those parodies, I still find it to be a tense film that I took it serious. I saw one of the comments that ask why are the parodies so successful that has been running for more than 5 years, and when I saw one of the answers, I agree with it, which is that the acting is so real and haunting, especially from Bruno Ganz that eerily looks similar to Adolf Hitler and is fantastic in it that feels. mentally frightening towards his thinking process, that whenever someone puts in translations to them that have nothing to do with the film, it makes it feel like the actors were actually talking about that which makes it hilarious, even though it's not the case to what they're really saying. The writing by Bernd Eichinger is very strong at keeping the viewers invested in the film, even if for us in the United States and other countries besides Germany, we have to read the translations. Everybody knows about the characters for what they have done that made history, but seeing in this film from how they act towards the end of World War II, there are some deeper characteristics from them that we might've not quite seen, even from Hitler who is starting to have some human qualities to him, although not that much to the point that we misunderstand him as a person consider that we see a lot of horrific things from his mentality that makes him what we remember him by. With a film like this, it's so easy to portray the characters so evil that they'll do things that will be shocking to viewers, especially since it takes place during the last days of World War II, but all it shows is that they remain faithful and loyal to Hitler, while questioning him at the same time and are actually starting to care about the German citizens and want to protect them instead of themselves, even though Hitler doesn't have the same thought as them. Downfall is probably one of my favorite foreign films, and if it wasn't for the Hitler parody videos on YouTube, I probably wouldn't have heard of this movie.
November 8, 2016
An amazing , true to life account of the last days of Adolph Hitler and the 3rd Reich. It will grab you almost immediately and take you to dark places in the story of one of the worlds most evil yet effective leaders. Acting and casting could not have been better and the action sequences are among the most realistic I have ever seen.
October 24, 2016
Superb movie depicting the final few days of Hitler in the Berlin bunker. Downfall makes for fascinating viewing and is based on accounts of people who were present at the events depicted. Director Oliver Hirschbiegel weaves a story that shows the way in which the Nazi plans spiralled out of control as Hitler becomes increasingly deranged as the Soviet forces close in on Berlin. Bruno Ganz is superb as Hitler, chilling, charismatic and unhinged. He throws everything into his performance and it is perhaps unfortunate that one of the key scenes has been so often and effectively parodied on the internet as this detracts a little from the power of the scene. There are so many chilling moments in this film. One of the most affecting has to be the murder of her children by Magda Goebbels which is horrific owing to the clinical nature in which it is executed. This is a very fine WWII movie indeed and will not be for everybody but for anyone interested in the story of this conflict, it is a gritty and realistic account of historical events.
September 27, 2016
Great film with a fantastic cast.
August 26, 2016