Downton Abbey Reviews

• Sep 23, 2020

It was incredible. If you are a fan of the show you will love this. It's like an extended episode. The writing is great the intellect, warmth, drama, & humor you love from the show is all present in the film.

• Sep 21, 2020

A trip back to the beautiful series...Still manages to touch the heart.

A trip back to the beautiful series...Still manages to touch the heart.

• Jaclyn S
    Sep 10, 2020

As good as the TV episodes

As good as the TV episodes

• Aug 23, 2020

Come for the pomp, stay for the circumstance.

Come for the pomp, stay for the circumstance.

• Aug 13, 2020

Once you get used to the more "cinematic" Downton Abbey (fancy camera angles, larger setpieces, more locations), you realize it is just more of the same, and not in a good way. The film is trying to do too much with too little time, giving every character a subplot that is not fleshed out and wraps up too quickly. Most of the characters are even blander than their series counterparts. The pro-aristocracy propaganda is layered on thick, and all I could wonder was why anyone would fall for it when life as an aristocrat seemed so boring! The film suffers from an inconsistent tone, jumping between "Home Alone" style servant shenanigans and a "tragic gay" subplot that, like all the others, is too rushed to leave much of an impression. It also lacks any kind of stakes that keep the viewer watching, just skipping from one scene to the next with no dramatic tension ever building. Even Maggie Smith's witticisms as the Dowager Countess failed to amuse me. I usually found the longer episodes (season finales and Christmas specials) to be the best parts of Downton Abbey, so I'm disappointed I can't say the same for the movie.

• Aug 09, 2020

As a fan of the television series which I simply adored unfortunately, I cannot say the same about the movies. When a hit television series ends it should be left alone. I was excited to learn that a movie version was to be released, but to my disappointment "Downton Abbey" should've been left alone. There was no need to continue revisiting "our" favorite British dysfunctional family and servants. The script was lacking. All the pomp and circumstance remained. A royal visit? "Really?" as Mary would snidely say.

• Aug 03, 2020

My husband and I both loved it! I loved the show and he'd peek in from time to time and knew almost all of the characters -- miss the show and it was just great to see them again. Never would've thought this would be a show that I'd get addicted to, but I started watching to just make all my co-workers shut up about it and say I tried to watch it but then I got addicted and watched like 2 seasons in 2 nights. LOL

• Aug 01, 2020

Like many films adapted from hit TV shows, Downton Abbey assumes that its viewers will have a familiarity with the source material, and fails to establish its characters in any meaningful way over the course of the runtime as a result. The film retains many of the same weaknesses and strengths as the show - beautiful production quality (indeed, the greater budget allows for improvements over the usually solid standard) that feels cheapened by the plot's insistence on throwing in pointless melodrama. The characters attempt to hide their lack of depth through posh accents and short quips (except Maggie Smith, she's a treasure). Beyond that, the necessary runtime restrictions make the film feel overstuffed trying to give representation to each of its ensemble cast, and leaving supposedly impactful storylines feeling hollow as a result (including an assassination attempt that might have received ten minutes in total). Fans will love it because it continues on the same trajectory as the series, but it won't win many new hearts. (2.5/5)

• Jul 15, 2020

Perfect continuation to the series, so enjoyable for the fans. I completely loved it

• Jul 11, 2020

I loved this show and was heartbroken when it ended. Despite it being a period show, the solid ensemble cast makes it an incredibly easy watch.