Dr. Plonk Reviews

• Jun 27, 2013

A cute little ode to silent film filmed all in Adelaide South Australia and really has a lot of charm to it. The story of an inventor from 1907 predicting the world will end in 2008 and creating a time machine to prove to Prime Minister that it does in fact end. Filled with clever gags & really cool set pieces and as silly as it is the film just works. Wasn't a huge success in the Box Office but in my opinion one of my favourite Rolf De Heer films.

• Apr 27, 2012

Most people who have had film conversations with me know that I LOVE Rolf de Heer. I think he's one of Australia's best and most important filmmakers. He never makes the same film twice and they're always unique. His films include Bad Boy Bubbdy, The Tracker, Ten Canoes, The Man Who Read Love Stories & Alexandre's Project... and then there's Dr Plonk! De Heer throws back to the silent era of Buster Keaton and Charlie Chaplan with this fabulous silent feature filmed with an old style crank camera, giving the picture a classic vintage authenticity. The slapstic is nostalgic and probably wont amuse many people under 30... but its good clean humour. All players are wonderful and the real show stopper is Tiberius, a pint sized dog with a flare for theatrics. He's hilarious!!! Hopefully it's not a hard title to come by and I would hope that most video stores stock it... go check it out.

• Feb 18, 2012

This film was very enjoyable (I start which with a believe that I would find it better that "the Artist", and I was not disappointed, it felt a lot more like a silent film than the Artist and the storyline was much more engrossing and irreverent) the visuals in both the past and present are very good, showing crazed and contrasting technology. The storyline itself is sort of a prediction to the response the film would have to present day audiences.

• Mar 25, 2011

laaabai smagus filmukas :) very entertaining movie :)

laaabai smagus filmukas :) very entertaining movie :)

• Jan 26, 2010

This is a very silly film, but then it wasn't trying to be anything else, so I mean in a positive way. A moderately novel idea to create a movie now in the style of silent movies, with the look (black and white, dodgy lighting, slightly accelerated motion) and sound (i.e. lack of it, it's a silent movie with musical accompaniment and text boards to explain things here and there), as well as the content (lots of things made clear by obvious expression, physical gesturing, and slapstick 'interaction', as well as the standard old style chase scenes and host of silly visual jokes, etc.). It drags occasionally ever so slightly, and, of course, it's not deep or taxing on the intellect in any particular way, but a nice, innocent bit of a laugh, with a funny little story about a man from 1907 travelling 100 years into the future to prove the world is going to end, and all the misunderstandings and silliness that result, both on his part, and on the part of the people he meets in 2007. A good film for a relaxing laugh on an evening after a tiring day at work. Just like for me right now this evening.

• Jan 10, 2010

Piu' Buster Keaton che Charlie Chaplin, il Dr. Plonk viaggia avanti e indietro nel tempo in cerca delle prova della fine del mondo.

• Sep 14, 2009

Nel 1907 il dottor Plonk, insigne scienziato e famoso inventore, attraverso calcoli molto complicati, scopre che il Pianeta Terra è destinato alla distruzione e che, se non verranno immediatamente prese delle adeguate contromisure, la fine del mondo arriverà dopo 101 anni. Allarmato, lo scienziato si rivolge alle autorità ma in mano soltanto i suoi fogli fitti di calcoli e non ha prove di alcun genere. Così il dottor Plonk costruisce una sofisticata macchina del tempo pronta a viaggiare nel futuro. La cavia perfetta sarà il suo fedele assistente Paulus. Dopo qualche piccolo errore di calcolo e qualche incidente, finalmente la navetta parte con destinazione 2007. I calcoli dello scienziato sono esatti, ma ora bisogna convincere le autorità ad affrontare il viaggio nel tempo per vedere quanto si è trasformato il mondo. Solo l'incontro del Primo Ministro con il suo pari del futuro potrà cambiare il destino del mondo...[it.wikipedia.org]

• The M Super Reviewer
    Jul 08, 2009

See it. You won't regret it.

See it. You won't regret it.

• Apr 18, 2009

who would have thought I would be watching a silent movie. And it's actually very good. Great perfomrances from the cast (Lunghi not so much).

• Apr 03, 2009

Overlong but still an extremely clever and entertaining silent movie by a director who isn't afraid to take risks. South Australians will note many prominent Adelaide landmarks as well as an appearance by the current premier, Mike Rann