Ed Wood Reviews

• Mar 30, 2021

Usually hate films about the movie industry but this is an exception. Very witty and some superb performances mingled with Burton's typically cartoonish direction make this really light hearted fun. It just works.

• Feb 26, 2021

This is indeed a strange movie. But not for the cool out of nowhere type stuff. Maybe this isn't the right movie for me but maybe I don't get it. I like the personality of Ed wood portrayed in this movie but to me it feels like this is an exaggeration of what really happened. This cannot be real life. How could some nobody automatically on his first attempt get a movie that he directs. Maybe he got lucky but chances are that he actually applied for many jobs and was unsuccessful at it. There's a lot of grey area in this movie that I would've liked if they talked about it. It felt like a fictional movie, not based off real life. It didn't have the real life grit that life is but maybe Ed wood saw life differently. And good for him if he saw life like that but we'll never know because he passed many many years before this movie ever came out. One final positive about this is it has given me knowledge of Ed wood and I would like to watch one of his pictures in the future but for this movie is was ok.

• Feb 26, 2021

This is indeed a strange movie. But not for the cool out of nowhere type stuff. Maybe this isn’t the right movie for me but maybe I don’t get it. I like the personality of Ed wood portrayed in this movie but to me it feels like this is an exaggeration of what really happened. This cannot be real life. How could some nobody automatically on his first attempt get a movie that he directs. Maybe he got lucky but chances are that he actually applied for many jobs and was unsuccessful at it. There’s a lot of grey area in this movie that I would’ve liked if they talked about it. It felt like a fictional movie, not based off real life. It didn’t have the real life grit that life is but maybe Ed wood saw life differently. And good for him if he saw life like that but we’ll never know because he passed many many years before this movie ever came out. One final positive about this is it has given me knowledge of Ed wood and I would like to watch one of his pictures in the future but for this movie is was ok.

• Feb 17, 2021

As a former film student I am familiar with the director Ed Wood and his reputation as the worst filmmaker in Hollywood. Simalarly familiar with Goth king director, Tim Burton with his reputation at times equally quirky. I empathise strongly with the main character Wood, portrayed in this by Johnny Depp. I too have struggled financially in the pursuit of art and identity of which this film tackles neatly. Depp more than embraces Woods infectious charisma which gifted the real Wood the majority of his collaborators. On casting the likeness between Martin Landau and Bela Lugosi was a unforeseen gem, as was the use of Lugosi off beat voyeurism to create an awkward but essential run of comic one liners. I think this is an underrated cult classic and a shout watch for members of the LGBTQ+ community of whom Wood is unknown by!

• Nov 20, 2020

What "Once Apon A Time In Hollywood..." wished it was. Best work I've seen of Tim Burton yet, and that's saying something. Every shot perfection. It was intresting, funny and artistically flawless.

• Nov 01, 2020

Thought it would never end.

Thought it would never end.

• Oct 11, 2020

Awesome movie extremely funny.

Awesome movie extremely funny.

• Sep 28, 2020

Ed Wood is a typically strange Tim Burton flick with a typically strange but endearing Johnny Depp performance, as well as Martin Landau’s brilliant supporting role, showing the life and legacy of an infamous director and his greatest creation.

• Aug 24, 2020

Given to a unique, cohesive style that might not appeal to all, but it is certainly elevating. It's weird and willing to go there, and I love that! Remarkable production design and value with great performances.

• Aug 17, 2020

Biographies don't get more weird and better than this.

Biographies don't get more weird and better than this.