Edward Scissorhands - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Edward Scissorhands Reviews

April 29, 2017
9.8/10
Brings so much heart to the table. Tremendous film making.
April 26, 2017
This movie is good, but after seeing it a bunch of times I am bored by it
March 22, 2017
Very interesting and new concept, good acting.
½ March 21, 2017
A true work of genius by Tim Burton!
March 20, 2017
An artistic & imaginative depiction of society & it's prejudices
March 17, 2017
Very sweet and original. A good story and good acting. Not too bad for kids even though it's PG-13. It's a good movie and touching.
February 28, 2017
Very charming and delightful tale with easily recognizable Tim Burton themes and production design. Johnny Depp gives one of his eccentric performances as Edward who falls in love with beautiful Winona Ryder. Note the legendary Vincent Price as Edward's creator.
February 23, 2017
Expect for the scissors gimmick and the topiaries , it's pretty much a continuous cliche.
½ February 12, 2017
Out of the films by Tim Burton that I have viewed, Edward Scissorhands is much more heartfelt and emotional than some of his others. I don't believe it's his best work, but when you give the guy the right material, he can do some great stuff. And, don't get me wrong, I love some of his other movies that aren't as deep. I just think that when Burton breaks away from his signature style of freak-show weirdness, it makes for an extremely more compelling experience than some of his more formulaic movies.
½ February 8, 2017
Tim Burton's sentimental masterpiece is a film you will never forget. (First viewing - Childhood)
½ February 8, 2017
even know about most this movie is considered a classic I found it cool.
January 23, 2017
Love this movie. The acting, the story, the characters, all of it was a work of art.
January 19, 2017
Edward Scissorhands (1990) - Is considered my favorite out of all of Tim Burton's movies and it definitely shows. The story has a great mixture of heart, humor and Burton's creepy but enchanting imagination, it's about as perfect a Tim burton film as you can get. What really makes this movie is Johnny Depp playing the title character. Admittedly I haven't been much of a fan of Depp as an actor but his performance as Edward was probably the best role he's ever played. I also love the way he uses his scissors to do all kinds of cool things whether it be. Trimming bushes, Cutting hair or even making it snow. I also love his curiously and his naive innocence. His personality felt very relatable to my feelings and I felt very sad when Edward was going through moments of pain and confusion. His character is a great example of not judging a person by the way he looks or even by his actions. The rest of the characters work off of Edward in a very unusual way but it works as it challenges Edward's perception on how he sees the people around him. I love that at first Edward thinks he's found his place down in the neighborhood but then suddenly things take a turn for the worse and he starts to crumble slowly until he finally breaks down. This is due to a fact that people are constantly bugging him and doing strange things too him and most of the time he's uncomfortable of unfamiliar with doing certain tasks. The last character to mention is the love interest Kim. I like that over time she starts to understand the pain Edward goes through even though no else does. I really do love the bond they share and their understanding for each other really tugs at my heartstrings from time to time. The cinematography is dazzling to look at. From the oddly colored neighborhood to the spooky unknowns of Edwards home, It captures Tim Burton's creepy vision while also Throwing in some in some beautiful scenery. The music is done by Danny Elfman and his score is both enchanting and sometimes kinda depressing in a good way. When certain moments hit, the music score accompanies greatly with the situation and it delivers something magical and mysterious. Tim Burton has made some great movies in his lifetime but in my opinion this is what I consider the best movie he's ever made (A+)
January 2, 2017
Personajes poco memorables, escenografía infantil, sobremusicalización y transiciones tontas en los sentimientos de la preciosa Winona Ryder. Para niños. 4/10
December 28, 2016
Top Tim Burton quality with amazing character development.
December 21, 2016
When I sat on my couch and the film's opening credits has started, i thought this film would be a thriller-drama but instead it is a drama based with a splash of comedy on it. This film has its good elements and bad elements, I'm going to start with the bad.

The second half of this film feels so underwhelming as a finale and conclusion, I understand that the film's third act is meant to explore a little more on Edward's place in the world that he is placed in but it is done with such haste that the audience could just end up not caring or at least forgetting to care. The ending of this film is just so underwhelming and predictable that I stared at the screen for three minutes blankly and passively watching the credits go by in frustration. Burton has created quite a world with such imagery that he could not put that creativity on producing a strong and emotional climax. Another thing that I didn't care much for this film was the relationship between Kim (Winona Ryder) and Edward (Johnny Depp). To me, the dialogue and acting Ryder brings when it is just Edward and Kim was poor. She didn't bring a sense of care towards Edward and at the final scene, she didn't bring that urgency that the situation needed. Also,The death of Anthony Michael Hall's character was too predictable.

Now I'm going to discuss the things that worked in this film. Tim Burton did an amazing job of creating a colorful neighborhood, full of color and life. What Burton has done here with the imagery is to show you a neighborhood with colors that give off a feeling of warmth and welcome and at the same time giving you a glimpse of the characters and personalities living in these houses. The people in these houses are mean and very self-involved. Throughout the film, I started to hate the citizens that occupied the neighborhood, which in my opinion is great because that is the reaction Burton wants from the audience, you are not meant to side with these people even if they are just doing what is right for their community. I think Burton did a wonderful job with the way Edward looks and interacts with the community, throughout the film Burton shows the damage that the 'scissorhands' has brought to the community and also the beauty it creates, shown through the trimming and carving of magnificent shapes from hedges and ice sculptures. Burton really explored the themes of belonging and morality. Throughout the film Edward feels like a fish out of water and is shown through the minimal dialogue that Depp brings and the artistic vision that Burton creates around Edward Scissorhands. Although I didn't really feel the connection between Kim and Edward, I did feel it strongly with Kim's mother, Peg (Dianne Wiest). She was there for Edward since the beginning and not once she has doubted or felt any sort of negativity towards him. Edward's care for her is shown through the occasional smiles he gives towards her and the way he treats her delicately, shown in Peg's first haircut. The whole acting crew did well in playing their roles, Ryder was not too bad in the first half of the film when he had no love-like feelings for Edward and Anthony Michael Hall played excellent as the antagonist that personally is against Edward's existence, it's just a pity that he had to die in such a predictable and boring way.

All in all, this film has more positives than negatives but the difference between the two is very slim. This is a film I can see myself go back to on a rainy day when you just want to watch something while being cosy in your bed or this is something people can choose to study for a film report of some kind as the themes are not too complicated to analyse.
December 12, 2016
Edward Scissorhands is an amazing film which started a beautiful friendship between Johnny Depp and Tim Burton and is shown to have a story worth telling, humour, heart, drama and the great visual style one would usually come to expect from Burton. An unforgettable classic that will be enjoyed by generations for a pretty long time to come as well as a recommendable option for one's first Tim Burton film with a rating stronger than PG.
December 8, 2016
Edward Scissorhands brings Tim Burton and Johnny Depp together for one of the greatest actor-director collaborations.
November 21, 2016
Obviously I love this movie.
½ November 15, 2016
I've been watching to watch this movie for a long time, and I'm glad I finally did.
The story is sweet and sad. And the irony in the movie is beautiful. Edward looks evil but has a sweet and pure heart. The town and townspeople look sweet and innocent, but are evil.
There were some parts of the movie that I had to trudge through, but overall it was an enjoyable movie.