El Café Don's Reviews

• Jan 29, 2016

Absolutely brilliant! Incredibly fresh, real, and tragic.

Absolutely brilliant! Incredibly fresh, real, and tragic.

• Jul 21, 2014

A phenomenal cast struggles to carry a realistically scripted but cliche script that Maguire and Dicaprio have sued Robb over.

• May 31, 2013

A pretty ridiculous film about insecurities and social situations. No wonder Leonardo DiCaprio tried to keep this movie hidden.

• Oct 09, 2012

awesome film, should be more well known

awesome film, should be more well known

• Jul 17, 2012

LOVED IT. FUCKING AMAZING. I have no idea why the fucj tobey/leo banned its distrubution, but this movie was splendid, and had such a great 90s artsy feel w/o being pretentious. Amber Benson was also beyond amazing.

• May 08, 2012

i see why some people wouldn't like it, but i REALLY loved it. :) its kinda like surrealism and super-realism mixed together, only for true artists ;) just another day of friends hanging out , totally relatable.... kinda x)

• Apr 22, 2012

This movie isn't the most incredible thing in the world, but it's really entertaining

• Feb 13, 2012

A group meets at a local diner spot with half the people knowing each other, the others just meeting-- a perfect example of how a bond is really formed and whats always been a lie.

• Jun 18, 2011

So I'm gonna be honest, the only real reason I watched this movie was because it stared Leonardo DiCaprio, who is my favorite actor. First of all I wasn't completely happy with the fact that the movie was in black and white because it was visually difficult to watch but I was really surprised to see how the movie actually digs into the lives of teens instead of the fake crap we see on t.v now a days. It was actually quite refreshing and it wasn't the best acting out there but for me personally it was more about the message, in the sense that it's about the struggle and just overall being of a teenager. This movie is just plain different in all aspects of it. It's strange and a little awkward also I felt that I was nervous when watching this movie because you'll realize that you have found yourself in situations similar to those in the movie and then you become nervous for yourself and the characters. It's always good when a movie gets you to feel something but I realize that this movie is not for the large majority.I have mixed feelings about this movie because it's different but there was room for improvement. I did like his movie but like I said before it was different

• Manu G Super Reviewer
    Apr 16, 2011

A group of Los Angeles teenagers meet every day at their local diner hangout to discus their latest misadventures with their miserable lives. Good movie. Been a Leonardo DiCaprio movie fan I had to see this and wasn't that bad. I understand why some actors didn't want for this film to be released but it sure was decent enough. It is true that impact is a little bit lost sometimes because it's hard to relate with the characters. It's hard to admit for anyone that they've asked out a 'friend' sometimes just for accompaniment and self-gratification like the characters seem to do in this film. But I'm a 100 % sure that everyone has done it at least once in their life. This film is hard to watch cause it takes this very aspect of relationships and puts in under a magnifying glass.I think the film is good in the way that it had it's desired effect. It's not your cup of tea if you want to watch something entertaining, something fun with your friends. Acting is very interesting, because it mainly plays in the same room and the film is in black and white attention is focused on the words, and even more on the gestures and facial expressions of the characters. Nice cast and it had some comedy and drama which was a nice treat overall. Directed by R.D. Robb, the largely unreleased Don's Plum made headlines throughout the late '90s for featuring Leonardo DiCaprio, who, after scoring big with the success of Titanic, was enjoying the top spot on young Hollywood's A-list. The film stars DiCaprio and Tobey Maguire as two of several obnoxious rich kids whittling the night away at Don's Plum, a local diner. Shot in black-and-white and largely improvised, the kids speak candidly about women, sex, drugs, and the nuances of relationships -- if by "nuances" one means adultery, masturbation, bisexuality, and whatever shock-topics the moment may have called for. Maguire and DiCaprio claimed to have worked in Plum free of charge on the condition that it would not be made into a feature release, and promptly sued Robb for distribution rights after it was, indeed, stretched into a 90-minute film. Though the young actors successfully blocked Don's Plum from release among American and Canadian audiences, it was shown internationally, albeit without much success.