Elysium - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Elysium Reviews

April 5, 2017
Elysium, is from the creator of a beloved S-F movie District 9. However, this film is a different approach of his on this genre. Elysium is a bit of a comedown for director Neil Blomkamp. But on the film's own terms it succeeds successfully with an amazing performance from Matt Damon and Sharlto Copley. A very interesting and innovative camera work with well filmed intensity of action. It does lead to a straight up action flick, but handles this clutch professionally. Like in District 9, it still has some social commentary included which makes it thoughtful and lifts it's level up rather than following the path of typical action flick. Also, the film has a strong sense of grounded realism and a character to have a sympathy of succeeding. Overall, Elysium finds director Neil Blomkamp able to be working on different types of genres but also making a very realistic grounded and thoughtful film than one might expect.
½ April 1, 2017
astoundingly well filmed, the action comparable with michael bay sequences. it has a heart though and a message. while it's no district 9 it's still full of energy, good acting and maximum sci-fi atmosphere. in some ways it's like district 9 but on a larger scale. we've progressed from apartheid to worldwide segregation irrespective of race and discriminate of all the have nots.
½ March 29, 2017
Neill Blomkamp was always going to find it hard to live up to the high expectations he set with District 9. If it wasn't for that film most people would have been well pleased with this above average sci-fi drama.
March 16, 2017
I like the picture it was well done , good topic, and great actors
½ March 4, 2017
In spite of being a little novel plot, in which the resources of the classic heroic-action film are repetitive, resulting in an ambitious narrative, visuals are well worked and the general idea is interesting and even provocative. 70/100
½ February 26, 2017
The movie setup is disaster. There is no logic behind at all.
½ February 19, 2017
Blomkamp's vision is strong, science fiction that comments about current affairs, political and social, but his story about an everyman up against the Man (here portrayed by the surprising casting choice of Jodie Foster) needs development and has only a makeshift finish. The story's the reason that this'll fail the memory test. Nonetheless interesting if finally flawed.
February 16, 2017
Quite lost ... not me, the plot ...
½ February 1, 2017
Almost everything is bad about this movie.
January 17, 2017
I don't understand the hate against this movie. At its simplest level it was an entertaining action movie. Action sequences were interesting and the acting was fine. Maybe too many people thought this was District 9-2.
January 16, 2017
District 9 is one of my favourite movies of all time, and I love Neill Blomkamp's style. I was really looking foreword to Elysium. Well, it was much different than I thought, but I really liked it a lot.

ACTING: The acting in this movie was pretty good. Matt Damon was a badass as his character, and Jodie Foster was pretty great as hers. The real standout here was Sharlto Copley as the badass villain. He was flippin awesome! 9/10

SPECIAL EFFECTS/GRAPHICS: Most sci-fi movies now have incredible effects and graphics, and this movie was no exception. It looked breathtaking on IMAX and made you feel like you were actually there. 10/10

STORY/PLOT/WRITING: The writing in this movie was pretty good. Nothing incredibly special here, though. The plot was well constructed and was very interesting. The main problem here was the pacing. I thought it got very slow a little more than half way through, and I got bored. 8/10

OVERALL: Elysium is a very good original sci-fi movie with a cool plot and great effects! See it in IMAX if you like these types of movies.

RATING: 8.5/10
January 11, 2017
I'm right in the middle on this one. While it had cool moments it suffered from weak ones too. The visuals were good and some of the performances were as well. The movie just seemed all too familiar to me. So it's just so-so.
½ January 9, 2017
Dafuq bro. I mean, bru.
January 6, 2017
loved the idea of this film just the filming itself that was rubbish I wish I could get all these friggin directors that think shaky cam is cool in one place so i could give them food poisoning for 2 hours so they no what it feels like to watch there films when you have motion sickness issues twats
January 3, 2017
Good movie. Action is good, solid plot. Nothing groundbreaking, but one thing is heartbreaking...Niell once again reminds everyone that he does sci-fi well, but I'm still reminded of the Halo movie that never was.
½ January 1, 2017
Good. I wish there was more to the ending or more insight into what life was like afterwards.
December 30, 2016
It's good movie to watch
December 27, 2016
Eh, ok I guess... I have seen better dystopian flicks...
December 22, 2016
In the year 2154, the very wealthy live on a pristine man-made space station called Elysium, and the rest who live on an overpopulated, ruined Earth. Matt Damon dream of going up there since young in the orphanage. His best friend Alice Braga is a nurse. Matt has multiple criminal records especially GTA. He works in a robot police making factory run by William Fichtner. One day he is force to fix a jammed door and it close on him, exposing him to radiation. William wants him out. Wagner Moura who is a thug, organize shuttle service to Elysium. Jodie Foster is the defense secretary in charge of the peace, is cold blooded. She activate a sleeper agent Sharlto Copley on Earth to launch missiles to shoot down 3 shuttles to Elysium. 2 went down and 1 landed. A handicapped girl use the high tech healing machine to cure her legs but soon all refugees are caught. The president is not happy of Jodie method of using agent and order the agent denounce. Matt has few days of survival only and he find Wagner for help. Given a job to hijack a wealthy man's brain for data, Matt choose William as target and himself fix up exo-suit to be strong and powerful like robot. Jodie ask William to re-program the robots so that a coup is executed for her to become the president. William over write the program and is on the shuttle. Matt and gang shot it down and trying to sync the data. Jodie receive the news and secretly activate Sharlto and 2 others to rescue William but he is dead. Matt got the data but it is scrambled mode. Injured Matt find Alice for help. She want Matt to bring her ill daughter to Elysium and get the machine to cure her illness. Sharlto track down him and barge into Alice home to interrogate.