Elysium - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Elysium Reviews

May 12, 2018
1. Bad script in general.
2. Neill Blomkamp's social commentary is on the level of a mentally challenged 13 years old socialist.
½ April 30, 2018
On the edge of being really great, just misses the mark in a few areas.
½ April 13, 2018
visionary and a lot of fun. the political message is overt and sloppy, and the characters mainly props to this, but when potential sophistication is stripped away it just becomes a simpler film, not necessarily a lot worse than it could have been. the cast is having a blast and so did i.
½ April 8, 2018
Watched Mar 31, 2018

Matt Kerr's review published on Letterboxd :
I love the setting and the premise, the execution could have been better though - also, Jodie Foster I know you are a better actress than this!
March 30, 2018
What a stinking pile of pooh. Ridiculous plot, headache inducing camera work and editing, and Sharlto Copley hamming it up, and not in a good way! Desperately disappointing.
March 3, 2018
Run of the mill Karl Marx story about the downtrodden poor and those dastardly rich people, bad dialogue, surprisingly bad acting from both Damon and Foster, very predictable story in general. Effects are top notch.
½ February 24, 2018
This is one of the worst movies I've ever seen and the LAST Matt Damon movie I'll ever pay to see.
November 11, 2017
I know mine is just a user review, but this film is worth watching, I?m not a huge Matt Damon fan, an this plot does seem a little fat fetched, however, the fact that it is underrated actually works in its favour, trying to be the big box office knockout carries a large ball and chain, whereas this film just tries to stand on both feet, everyone should give it a go, I really enjoyed it.
½ November 6, 2017
After the incredible achievement that was District 9, Elysium is a bit of a step down for director Neill Blomkamp. That being said, it has great action, strong performances, a very good script, a surprisingly good story, and an over abundance of badass sci-fi weapons and gadgets. There is a continuity error, but if you notice it it's easy to overlook.
October 27, 2017
Four stars hands down! Terrific job by Sharlto Copley, he's hilarious! You've got to see him in District 9!
½ October 21, 2017
A fun, action film. While it does not exactly pack in deepness and theme, it serves in fun storytelling and is the perfect action movie. Matt Damon's acting pulls this movie through.
½ October 13, 2017
A flawed but entertaining film, with some assured direction, thought-provoking imagery and strong performances in Damon and Copley. The film is well shot, and the fight scenes, though occasionally confusing, are well choreographed. Copley is fantastic as the vile Kruger, and Damon turns in a typically good performance as Max. The film's main issues lie with the plot, which sometimes feels trivial, and Jodie Foster, who overacts for the entirety of the film's runtime. Though she is a talented actress, Foster definietly falls short here.
October 12, 2017
This movie is so bad, that if I could go back in time, and kill Joseph Stalin, or the people responsible for this abomination, I'd easily choose the latter.
I give it half a star because there are cool toys sprinkled throughout this immoral mess, which I hope someone would be inspired to include in a better story.
October 4, 2017
It's okay. It won't blow you away or surprise you, but Damon has a way of making it watchable.
September 23, 2017
I had seen District 9 at the cinema and was amazed by the work Blomkamp had done. This film feels rushed but is just as interesting as anything I've seen this year. Damon isn't the right choice for the lead role, he feels too pristine for that character. The idea is bigger than the film, Blomkamp openly admits this film is weak and it's the motivations of everyone involved, the film needed to be longer. Elysium isn't a bad film, comparing it to District 9 isn't the right comparison either. I liked the film and the action scenes were impressive, I can see where the interest for Halo came from. Blomkamp should direct the next Alien, he is an incredible talent that is on the rise, much like Scott was. 24-09-2017.
September 14, 2017
The movie does drag at times, but overall I thought it was fantastic. The special effects are of the elite, and Sharito Copely is tremendous as usual. As for Blomkamp, not quite as good as his first film 'District 9' but good enough to say he's becoming one of my favorite directors.
½ August 28, 2017
Better than Chappie, worse than District 9
½ August 17, 2017
GREG: (Greg Smith, Founder of Agile Writers of Richmond, VA) Scott, Matt Damon is back with a new action/adventure movie: Elysium.

SCOTT: (Dr. Scott Allison, Professor of Psychology, University of Richmond) Yes, he s back and he s a born hero on a mission. Or should I say bourne ?

GREG: It s 140 years in the future and Earth is barely habitable. The rich have a solution, though. The privileged have built a space station where they can live in luxury and free of disease. Elysium is a paradise for the few with the means to get there. But occasionally some illegally land on Elysium and, with faked citizenship credentials, jump into one of the healing chambers (which look alarmingly like tanning booths) and are 100% cured of all ills, including cancer.

SCOTT: Matt Damon plays Max Da Costa, a blue-collar worker on Earth who leads a tough life but dreams of one day making it to Elysium. In an accident at work, Max sustains a lethal dose of radiation and has only five days to live. His sole chance of survival is to reach Elysium s healing chambers. He contacts a man named Spider (Wagner Moura) who will send Max to Elysium but only if Max hacks the codes of entry into Elysium from John Carlyle (William Fichtner), the corporate liaison to Elysium s government.

GREG: Meanwhile, back on Elysium, Secretary Delacourt (Jodie Foster) has worked out a deal with Carlyle: bring me the codes to reboot Elysium (and turn the control over to her) and he will get contracts to support Elysium for the next 200 years. Max is injured in his attempt to extract the codes from Carlyle and turns to old friend Frey (Alice Braga) to fix him up. He befriends Frey s young daughter who has cancer and decides that the three of them will go to Elysium to get fixed up. Now, all the players are in place and we re off!

SCOTT: Greg, I liked this movie. And what a nice change of pace, to be able to say that I really enjoyed a movie after a summer in which excellence in film-making was beginning to look like a lost art. What exactly made Elysium so appealing? For starters, the premise is interesting, if not original. We are witness to socioeconomic stratification and elitism taken to a fascinating extreme. We also have an exemplary hero journey with unusual depth. Matt Damon plays a hero role reminiscent of an ancient Greek tragic hero. As a young boy, Max is prophesied by a spiritual figure to make a special contribution to humanity. Elysium resembles the story of Christ, too. Max is a born hero, fated to suffer greatly at the hands of his oppressors, and destined to die to save the world. It s all very powerful.

GREG: I think Elysium was a well-constructed movie with a lackluster message. Writer/director Neill Blomkamp brought his experience from District 9 to build a universe with dexterous androids, nimble airships, and a beautiful space station. Upon this foundation he laid a story of class warfare (see The Purge) and really clumsily executes it. The message we re supposed to take away is that if everyone who made it to Elysium (an allegory for the United States) were allowed to take advantage of the excesses there (health care) everyone would live happily ever after. The people of Elysium are painted as narcissistic and oblivious to the problems of Earth. The leader Delacourt even wants to eliminate access to Elysium by anyone who is not already there. The parallels to the United States illegal immigration problem is clear. But what is not clear is the simplistic answers that Blomkamp offers. Apparently if you don a very powerful exoskeleton and download secret codes into the superpowers computers, everyone will get free health care. I didn t follow the metaphor.

SCOTT: I just viewed the inclusion of exoskeletons as a means of evening up the technological playing field with Elysiums ultra-strong Androids who protected Eylsium from the Earth s masses. If I had a criticism of Elysium, it is with the monolithic way that the film portrays the rich and the poor. The rich are depicted as universally bad and the poor as universally good. I believe the movie would have benefited from including at least one privileged character on Elysium who was sympathetic to the suffering on earth and who assists Matt Damon on his quest to free Earth from the oppression. But overall, the characters are strong and memorable. Jodie Foster s icy cold performance strikes exactly the right diabolical notes, and Sharlto Copley as Kruger effectively displays a fearsome, pathological streak of cruelty. I also enjoyed the inclusion of Frey and her daughter, who is also in desperate need of a healing chamber. The dynamic of all these characters, along with some excellent directing, editing, and pacing, all made for a great movie experience.

GREG: I was confused by Jodie Foster in this movie. She s a great actress and was strangely underutilized. And, they overdubbed her voice with some sort of semi-British accent. I like Jodie Foster s voice so I don t know why they felt the need to change it. Matt Damon does a great job of playing a man who has a past and is just trying to get by. When he is unfairly treated and irradiated he turns into a man who is out to do whatever it takes to save himself. But when he decides to save a helpless little girl, he becomes a proper hero. As you point out the villains in the story are patently evil and give little for Damon to play against. For a good, balanced set of visuals offset by a clumsily executed message I give Elysium a score of just 3 Reels out of 5. In order to get another Reel I would want to see more interaction between Damon and Foster and more complicated villains. I give Matt Damon 3 out of 5 Heroes for his portrayal of a man put in an impossible situation who ends up saving a planet. It s a simplistic character but Damon plays it very well. Movie: Hero:

SCOTT: I obviously enjoyed this movie more than you did, Greg. Elysium provides the perfect boost to the end of the summer malaise that has gripped the movies of late. We don t just have excellent action and mind-blowing CGI effects. We are also treated to a clever movie premise featuring memorable characters caught up in a compelling story. I believe Elysium has earned 4 Reels out of 5. And as noted earlier, Elysium s strong hero journey led to our hero through all the classic stages. There is a call to adventure, a missing quality that the hero must obtain, an appealing love interest, two formidable villains, help from unlikely sources, and a selfless choice that needs to be made at the end. Max fulfills his destiny and shows all the traits of a great heroic figure. For this reason I m happy to say that the character of Max Da Costa earns 4 Heroes out of 5. Movie: Hero:
August 11, 2017
Great movie! I'm not sure why this got bad ratings
August 6, 2017
Not that bad..but not brilliant. The tech and effects are impressive, with Blomkamp's usual grounding in realism. However not much else to it. This is another film that has suffered from the 'great concept, poor delivery' that we have seen in the cinema of late. Elysium itself is beautiful and contrasts nicely to the bleak, dusty, dying Earth below. The idea is set up nicely but the characters are paper thin. The actors do ok with what they've got. Damon and Braga are believable in their roles..but I didn't really care enough about their journey. Jodie Foster is awful in this movie which is a pity. She seems to have temporarly forgotten how to act and murders an attempt at a British accent. Her inflecitons are all over the place as are her 'supposed' emotions and she holds absolutely no authority...considering the role she plays. I love Sharlto Copley in anything and he has a lot of fun playing a bad guy, just the right side of balmy. Kudos to the Afrikaans slang he got into too...looking forward to more from him. Overall...I was expecting more from this and was disappointed. The concept had a lot of potential, the design is pretty but the story needs a lot of work. I had higher hopes for Neill Blomkamp. Hope his next brings him back to form.