Elysium - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Elysium Reviews

October 5, 2016
Finally got around to watching this after about 2 years of wanting to. And can't say I was disappointed, much like district 9 a science fiction spectacle to behold. Good solid story and great effects.
September 18, 2016
I was expecting so much more from this film. It had great action and a great cast but the story lacked something. I didn't care what was happening and what the outcome was for anyone.
September 14, 2016
By no means is this movie perfect. However, it certainly is thrilling long with its social message on healthcare, immigration, and the upper class. It is an above average film.
½ September 13, 2016
I didn't like the fact that the main character dies after reaching Elysium. Couldn't he have been put in one of those healing chamber thingies?! Very good movie overall and it's way way better than Oblivion!
September 3, 2016
I enjoyed this dystopian view of the future - bit of a mix of Robocop, Terminator, Total Recall and some of the better 70s sci-fi movies - bit flakey in places, but kept me entertained all way to the end.
August 17, 2016
Aside from some rubbish back story bits, this movie is an amazing dystopian future one.
August 13, 2016
Interesting concept but dull. I fell asleep a few times.
July 30, 2016
After watching Elysium you could tell it was a Neill Blomkamp film but with better effects, It has a great story, Very well acted, I must admit I expected more action but the action we got was great, I hope Neill Blomkamp sticks to this formula, Sharlto Copley plays an amazing villain which was just as good as his performance in District 9, Although it's not as good as District 9 it's still very entertaining and a must watch for anyone who enjoyed District 9 or likes there sci-fi to have more story than effects and big explosions.
July 27, 2016
Elysium is a good sci-fi movie from Blomkamp, that's helped by an understated performance by Matt Damon and striking visuals. Sharlto Copley's unbearable though.
½ July 12, 2016
very underrated movie. it's worth watching and buying on blu-ray. 2013 sucked for movies but this is good. compared to everything else that came out that year it does look pretty amazing. rating: A-
July 9, 2016
I liked it a lot from start to finish the action was awesome and gory. It's interesting that all these people had different wants about what they wanted to do with the control of Elysium. The ending made me cry though because the selflessness in some of the people there who were fighting and died did it for the rest of humanity and they succeeded, they beat a corrupted government of selfish people.
July 8, 2016
Thin plot, weak characters, bad dialogue. Otherwise, it's great.
½ July 3, 2016
It was ok. I really don't know what to say. The story was ok, but could have been better. The acting on Matt Damon's was fine. It seemed like a wasted role for Jodie Foster. The effects were great. It was too long and there was a lot that could have been better. Save it for a rainy day.
July 3, 2016

For all the imaginative imagery and sci fi intentions, Elysium is surprisingly dull in its depiction of, well, everything.
½ June 29, 2016
Good movie overall and interesting view of what the future may look like with machines healing us, but, I thought it was a bit of a let down at the end.
½ June 27, 2016
With a main character to root for, amazing special effects and well made action, Elysium unfortunately falls short to an unoriginal story and a bad performance by veteran Jodie Foster.
June 25, 2016
A little more fun than I thought I have - mostly thanks to Mr,Copley stealing the show.
½ June 25, 2016
One of the worst sci-fi movies I have ever seen. The story was weak and the acting was horrible. The effects were nice, but the whole thing got so cheesy towards the end it was hard to watch.
June 22, 2016
While Blomkamp virtually struck gold with "District 9" his follow up to it in this film left something to be desired. Very action packed and very interesting concept of overpopulation on Earth causing the rich and priviledged to flee the planet for a "utopian spacestation." The effects and action were great. Could have been a little better and it unfortunately fell into the category of one of those movies that tried to make a social statemenet very much in your face. The rich people led lives of prosperity and no disease (americans) and the rest were left behind to fend for themselves (3rd world countries). The end of the film was appropriate but the "in your face" message was a little much.
June 20, 2016
Gritty sci-fi adventure with a hard-hitting message.