Elysium - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Elysium Reviews

September 23, 2017
I had seen District 9 at the cinema and was amazed by the work Blomkamp had done. This film feels rushed but is just as interesting as anything I've seen this year. Damon isn't the right choice for the lead role, he feels too pristine for that character. The idea is bigger than the film, Blomkamp openly admits this film is weak and it's the motivations of everyone involved, the film needed to be longer. Elysium isn't a bad film, comparing it to District 9 isn't the right comparison either. I liked the film and the action scenes were impressive, I can see where the interest for Halo came from. Blomkamp should direct the next Alien, he is an incredible talent that is on the rise, much like Scott was. 24-09-2017.
September 14, 2017
The movie does drag at times, but overall I thought it was fantastic. The special effects are of the elite, and Sharito Copely is tremendous as usual. As for Blomkamp, not quite as good as his first film 'District 9' but good enough to say he's becoming one of my favorite directors.
½ August 28, 2017
Better than Chappie, worse than District 9
½ August 17, 2017
GREG: (Greg Smith, Founder of Agile Writers of Richmond, VA) Scott, Matt Damon is back with a new action/adventure movie: Elysium.

SCOTT: (Dr. Scott Allison, Professor of Psychology, University of Richmond) Yes, he s back and he s a born hero on a mission. Or should I say bourne ?

GREG: It s 140 years in the future and Earth is barely habitable. The rich have a solution, though. The privileged have built a space station where they can live in luxury and free of disease. Elysium is a paradise for the few with the means to get there. But occasionally some illegally land on Elysium and, with faked citizenship credentials, jump into one of the healing chambers (which look alarmingly like tanning booths) and are 100% cured of all ills, including cancer.

SCOTT: Matt Damon plays Max Da Costa, a blue-collar worker on Earth who leads a tough life but dreams of one day making it to Elysium. In an accident at work, Max sustains a lethal dose of radiation and has only five days to live. His sole chance of survival is to reach Elysium s healing chambers. He contacts a man named Spider (Wagner Moura) who will send Max to Elysium but only if Max hacks the codes of entry into Elysium from John Carlyle (William Fichtner), the corporate liaison to Elysium s government.

GREG: Meanwhile, back on Elysium, Secretary Delacourt (Jodie Foster) has worked out a deal with Carlyle: bring me the codes to reboot Elysium (and turn the control over to her) and he will get contracts to support Elysium for the next 200 years. Max is injured in his attempt to extract the codes from Carlyle and turns to old friend Frey (Alice Braga) to fix him up. He befriends Frey s young daughter who has cancer and decides that the three of them will go to Elysium to get fixed up. Now, all the players are in place and we re off!

SCOTT: Greg, I liked this movie. And what a nice change of pace, to be able to say that I really enjoyed a movie after a summer in which excellence in film-making was beginning to look like a lost art. What exactly made Elysium so appealing? For starters, the premise is interesting, if not original. We are witness to socioeconomic stratification and elitism taken to a fascinating extreme. We also have an exemplary hero journey with unusual depth. Matt Damon plays a hero role reminiscent of an ancient Greek tragic hero. As a young boy, Max is prophesied by a spiritual figure to make a special contribution to humanity. Elysium resembles the story of Christ, too. Max is a born hero, fated to suffer greatly at the hands of his oppressors, and destined to die to save the world. It s all very powerful.

GREG: I think Elysium was a well-constructed movie with a lackluster message. Writer/director Neill Blomkamp brought his experience from District 9 to build a universe with dexterous androids, nimble airships, and a beautiful space station. Upon this foundation he laid a story of class warfare (see The Purge) and really clumsily executes it. The message we re supposed to take away is that if everyone who made it to Elysium (an allegory for the United States) were allowed to take advantage of the excesses there (health care) everyone would live happily ever after. The people of Elysium are painted as narcissistic and oblivious to the problems of Earth. The leader Delacourt even wants to eliminate access to Elysium by anyone who is not already there. The parallels to the United States illegal immigration problem is clear. But what is not clear is the simplistic answers that Blomkamp offers. Apparently if you don a very powerful exoskeleton and download secret codes into the superpowers computers, everyone will get free health care. I didn t follow the metaphor.

SCOTT: I just viewed the inclusion of exoskeletons as a means of evening up the technological playing field with Elysiums ultra-strong Androids who protected Eylsium from the Earth s masses. If I had a criticism of Elysium, it is with the monolithic way that the film portrays the rich and the poor. The rich are depicted as universally bad and the poor as universally good. I believe the movie would have benefited from including at least one privileged character on Elysium who was sympathetic to the suffering on earth and who assists Matt Damon on his quest to free Earth from the oppression. But overall, the characters are strong and memorable. Jodie Foster s icy cold performance strikes exactly the right diabolical notes, and Sharlto Copley as Kruger effectively displays a fearsome, pathological streak of cruelty. I also enjoyed the inclusion of Frey and her daughter, who is also in desperate need of a healing chamber. The dynamic of all these characters, along with some excellent directing, editing, and pacing, all made for a great movie experience.

GREG: I was confused by Jodie Foster in this movie. She s a great actress and was strangely underutilized. And, they overdubbed her voice with some sort of semi-British accent. I like Jodie Foster s voice so I don t know why they felt the need to change it. Matt Damon does a great job of playing a man who has a past and is just trying to get by. When he is unfairly treated and irradiated he turns into a man who is out to do whatever it takes to save himself. But when he decides to save a helpless little girl, he becomes a proper hero. As you point out the villains in the story are patently evil and give little for Damon to play against. For a good, balanced set of visuals offset by a clumsily executed message I give Elysium a score of just 3 Reels out of 5. In order to get another Reel I would want to see more interaction between Damon and Foster and more complicated villains. I give Matt Damon 3 out of 5 Heroes for his portrayal of a man put in an impossible situation who ends up saving a planet. It s a simplistic character but Damon plays it very well. Movie: Hero:

SCOTT: I obviously enjoyed this movie more than you did, Greg. Elysium provides the perfect boost to the end of the summer malaise that has gripped the movies of late. We don t just have excellent action and mind-blowing CGI effects. We are also treated to a clever movie premise featuring memorable characters caught up in a compelling story. I believe Elysium has earned 4 Reels out of 5. And as noted earlier, Elysium s strong hero journey led to our hero through all the classic stages. There is a call to adventure, a missing quality that the hero must obtain, an appealing love interest, two formidable villains, help from unlikely sources, and a selfless choice that needs to be made at the end. Max fulfills his destiny and shows all the traits of a great heroic figure. For this reason I m happy to say that the character of Max Da Costa earns 4 Heroes out of 5. Movie: Hero:
August 11, 2017
Great movie! I'm not sure why this got bad ratings
August 6, 2017
Not that bad..but not brilliant. The tech and effects are impressive, with Blomkamp's usual grounding in realism. However not much else to it. This is another film that has suffered from the 'great concept, poor delivery' that we have seen in the cinema of late. Elysium itself is beautiful and contrasts nicely to the bleak, dusty, dying Earth below. The idea is set up nicely but the characters are paper thin. The actors do ok with what they've got. Damon and Braga are believable in their roles..but I didn't really care enough about their journey. Jodie Foster is awful in this movie which is a pity. She seems to have temporarly forgotten how to act and murders an attempt at a British accent. Her inflecitons are all over the place as are her 'supposed' emotions and she holds absolutely no authority...considering the role she plays. I love Sharlto Copley in anything and he has a lot of fun playing a bad guy, just the right side of balmy. Kudos to the Afrikaans slang he got into too...looking forward to more from him. Overall...I was expecting more from this and was disappointed. The concept had a lot of potential, the design is pretty but the story needs a lot of work. I had higher hopes for Neill Blomkamp. Hope his next brings him back to form.
July 26, 2017
Despite some good ideas - and Diego Luna - this didn't really grab my attention, which meant I didn't properly grasp what was going on - or care much about the characters.
July 14, 2017
Matt Damon seems miscast to me and I really don't ever buy that he is a former gang banger. That aside, this movie is a visual treat but nothing really to crow about. It merits a one time watch, especially if you liked district 9 because it's really more of the same thing, sans prawns.
½ July 8, 2017
The film was very good in the aspect that although its set in the future, the principle is truthful in todays society, where you have the rich and the poor and (especially in America) the rich can get medical treatment and be cured of illnesses and the poor can't. But the controversial subject matter that they are trying to address is whether or not the poor be allowed to have medical treatment and film tries to show that the poor will always be poor and if they are treated they're only gonna over populate
July 6, 2017
Though having an interesting concept and a hoop of charasmatic leads..."Elysium" lacks in originality and is too chaotic in way to many areas.
½ July 6, 2017
While not as deep as one would hope from such a talented director, Elysium is nonetheless an entertaining thrill ride.
½ July 1, 2017
Despite it's original and thought provoking premise, Blomkamp can't make lightening strike twice with Elysium. It's a fragmented film, laudably trying to blend social commentary with action and Sci-Fi. Yet even Hollywood's finest talent can't distract us from a hollow script populated by wafer thin characters desperately in need of more development. Matt Damon's natural charm lifts Max marginally off the page. Foster however sleep walks through her cardboard cut out villain, bringing nothing to the role except an excruciating off-colour British accent showcased by possibly the worst sound dubbing ever committed to celluloid. The effects are good, action engrossing enough, but after the first 30 minutes it's all a little disappointing.
July 1, 2017
Con varios fails evidentes dejando bastantes pensamientos de "┐por quÚ no utilizˇ esas armas antes?", en general es una buena pelÝculas con una buena historia. Jodie Foster es una buena villana.
½ June 30, 2017
Ottimi effetti speciali e sonori per un trama che non coinvolge. Come in District 9, il regista e sceneggiatore Neill Blomkamp propone uno script senza anima, che riesce solamente ad offrire dell'intrattenimento temporaneo.
June 24, 2017
8.5/10
Would have liked to see what happend after elyisum reebooted a little more. WE NEED A SEQUEL. Came out of watching this movie and gave it a 90 because stakes always remained high and didn't get bored for a second but then I forgot about the impact this movie originally had on me and dropped it two points.├├,├,┬░~,
NVM fam its back to 90 but I don't think I will remember this movie for long

1 month later
yeah forgettable cant beleive this is 4 and a half stars a Wonder Woman 4. tskkk ok this is prob still better than Logan who knows I just dont think bout it much
June 10, 2017
Elysium has some very cool SCI-FI elements and is visually fantastic, but the lack of compelling characters and plot do bring it down.
½ June 10, 2017
Elysium has the positives of strong direction from Neil Blomkamp, excellent effects and some strong action sequences. The movie is able to balance the brilliant lived in universe and also contain lots of cool sci-fi technology. The acting is pretty good, especially from Sharlto Copley who gives a wonderfully hammy performance that steals the show. While Jodie Foster does a bizarre mix of English and French. It's far from being great as the message is way too obvious, the pacing is all over the place and the film can't help but squander it's brilliant potential. A good film but far from being anything special. B
June 9, 2017
After District 9, Elysium is a brilliant and engaging Sci-Fi film that secures Blomkamp as a talented director who can craft something truly memorable ! The performances of Matt Damon and Jodie Foster are incredible ! Highly recommended !
June 1, 2017
It's not the brilliant Shakespearean sci-fi epic that 'District 9' was, and it's not without its frustrating plot holes, but 'Elysium' still boasts some impeccable visuals and brutal violence, both of which help to create an incredibly immersive motion picture.
May 30, 2017
Elysium is a disappointment...neither deep enough to affect or action-filled enough to munch popcorn to.