Elysium - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Elysium Reviews

January 17, 2017
I don't understand the hate against this movie. At its simplest level it was an entertaining action movie. Action sequences were interesting and the acting was fine. Maybe too many people thought this was District 9-2.
January 16, 2017
District 9 is one of my favourite movies of all time, and I love Neill Blomkamp's style. I was really looking foreword to Elysium. Well, it was much different than I thought, but I really liked it a lot.

ACTING: The acting in this movie was pretty good. Matt Damon was a badass as his character, and Jodie Foster was pretty great as hers. The real standout here was Sharlto Copley as the badass villain. He was flippin awesome! 9/10

SPECIAL EFFECTS/GRAPHICS: Most sci-fi movies now have incredible effects and graphics, and this movie was no exception. It looked breathtaking on IMAX and made you feel like you were actually there. 10/10

STORY/PLOT/WRITING: The writing in this movie was pretty good. Nothing incredibly special here, though. The plot was well constructed and was very interesting. The main problem here was the pacing. I thought it got very slow a little more than half way through, and I got bored. 8/10

OVERALL: Elysium is a very good original sci-fi movie with a cool plot and great effects! See it in IMAX if you like these types of movies.

RATING: 8.5/10
January 11, 2017
I'm right in the middle on this one. While it had cool moments it suffered from weak ones too. The visuals were good and some of the performances were as well. The movie just seemed all too familiar to me. So it's just so-so.
½ January 9, 2017
Dafuq bro. I mean, bru.
January 6, 2017
loved the idea of this film just the filming itself that was rubbish I wish I could get all these friggin directors that think shaky cam is cool in one place so i could give them food poisoning for 2 hours so they no what it feels like to watch there films when you have motion sickness issues twats
January 3, 2017
Good movie. Action is good, solid plot. Nothing groundbreaking, but one thing is heartbreaking...Niell once again reminds everyone that he does sci-fi well, but I'm still reminded of the Halo movie that never was.
½ January 1, 2017
Good. I wish there was more to the ending or more insight into what life was like afterwards.
December 30, 2016
It's good movie to watch
December 27, 2016
Eh, ok I guess... I have seen better dystopian flicks...
December 22, 2016
In the year 2154, the very wealthy live on a pristine man-made space station called Elysium, and the rest who live on an overpopulated, ruined Earth. Matt Damon dream of going up there since young in the orphanage. His best friend Alice Braga is a nurse. Matt has multiple criminal records especially GTA. He works in a robot police making factory run by William Fichtner. One day he is force to fix a jammed door and it close on him, exposing him to radiation. William wants him out. Wagner Moura who is a thug, organize shuttle service to Elysium. Jodie Foster is the defense secretary in charge of the peace, is cold blooded. She activate a sleeper agent Sharlto Copley on Earth to launch missiles to shoot down 3 shuttles to Elysium. 2 went down and 1 landed. A handicapped girl use the high tech healing machine to cure her legs but soon all refugees are caught. The president is not happy of Jodie method of using agent and order the agent denounce. Matt has few days of survival only and he find Wagner for help. Given a job to hijack a wealthy man's brain for data, Matt choose William as target and himself fix up exo-suit to be strong and powerful like robot. Jodie ask William to re-program the robots so that a coup is executed for her to become the president. William over write the program and is on the shuttle. Matt and gang shot it down and trying to sync the data. Jodie receive the news and secretly activate Sharlto and 2 others to rescue William but he is dead. Matt got the data but it is scrambled mode. Injured Matt find Alice for help. She want Matt to bring her ill daughter to Elysium and get the machine to cure her illness. Sharlto track down him and barge into Alice home to interrogate.
½ December 19, 2016
I was no fan of 'District 9' and although this was nowhere near as boring it certainly has it's failings. On the surface it's a watchable action sci-fi, everything moves along at a decent clip and Damon and Foster are bafflingly willing to take this all seriously. I'm really not sure how though, the plot is appalling and full of crow-barred contrivances. Doctor girlfriend - Check, that'll come in handy. Poorly daughter - Check, we can use that to demonstrate the laughable make me better quick chamber or whatever they're called. Cyborg Exoskeleton - Check, that'll solve the whole I'm dying bit. Just a terrible, terrible plot. As for the South African strolling around growling at everyone, the big bad wolf would easily have made for a more interesting and multi-layered villain. Popcorn fodder, nothing else.
½ December 4, 2016
As much as I liked the premise of this movie, the writing and the acting rendered it unwatchable. It takes what could be a very compelling plot about a socialist revolution of Earth's underclass against their orbital masters, but instead delivers a painfully generic action film with no emotional or narrative substance.
½ November 26, 2016
Aside from Jodie Foster's over-the-top performance and an irritating shaky camera that makes it hard sometimes to follow what is happening in the action scenes, Blomkamp really hits the mark with this efficient sci-fi that is entertaining and even thought-provoking.
November 25, 2016
Lots of action. Jodi Foster as a villain? Story was a bit loopy in places. Matt does a really good job playing an impossibly resilient hero.
November 13, 2016
Enjoyable sci-if with incredible production design.
November 11, 2016
A non stop sci fi action classic with Matt Damon and Alice Braga!
½ November 2, 2016
Decent Cast - good lead, a fine premise but somewhat poorly and wastefully told
½ October 24, 2016
It's not as heady as it's predecessor, but Elysium still packs enough punch to entertain.
October 5, 2016
Finally got around to watching this after about 2 years of wanting to. And can't say I was disappointed, much like district 9 a science fiction spectacle to behold. Good solid story and great effects.
September 18, 2016
I was expecting so much more from this film. It had great action and a great cast but the story lacked something. I didn't care what was happening and what the outcome was for anyone.