Empire of the Sun Reviews

• Jan 07, 2021

Story about a boy that grows up in a Shanghai prison camp during WWII. A few flaws. Sometimes Spielberg gets way too grandiose and sentimental. The kid (Christian Bale) over-acts to the point of embarrassment. But it's a good movie.

• Sep 01, 2020

Empire of the Sun doesn't really feel like a Steven Spielberg movie. This film focuses on the beauty of cinema rather than telling a story. It takes its time and meanders its way through the plot while showcasing some amazing cinematography. Christian Bale is also very impressive, even as a young actor, and even though I had a difficult time identifying with his character.

• Jul 16, 2020

About to climax, Spielberg paints a beautiful picture in the light of the sunset, with Jim watching his young pilot friend getting ready to take off for the first time, with Bale singing a beautiful song composed by John Williams - in fact, part of a beautiful track from the veteran - only to then introduce a past action sequence with the sun high. Okay, we can use common sense and see it as a more fantastical scene, in which Jim feels in a way that only that lighting could illustrate, and it would make sense. However, what really suggests is that Spielberg was so enchanted with his aesthetic achievements in A Cor Púrpura (1986), that he also abused this photograph, and decided to repeat it as soon as possible.

• Jul 12, 2020

Overly long and surprisingly boring.

Overly long and surprisingly boring.

• Jul 08, 2020

Empire is a film that is often overlooked by many of Spielberg’s more popular works. It definitely isn’t perfect and often seems overlong, but it is filled with many moments of pure emotion and heart. Bale’s youthful performance is something of a spectacle. He comes at this role with such an advanced skill level that most actors dream of, even if his character was annoying at times. Malkovich was excellent as well. The Suo Gan melody was incredibly emotional too, as it is performed at many of the film’s most important moments

• Jun 29, 2020

No words can describe this movie.

No words can describe this movie.

• Jun 10, 2020

Say on my shelf to watch for far too long and I've watched a lot of dross instead of this over the past couple of years. Had no idea what a fantastic and weirdly offbeat film this would be. Interesting for Spielberg, not sure where it was going or even where it went but it was a great tale. Really enjoyed it.

• Jun 06, 2020

Young Christian Bale's performance here makes every other child actor's pale by comparison. Wow!!

• May 05, 2020

I have always hated Christian Bale, and now I know why. I watched this annoying little Sh**, frustrate me, the entire movie, without knowing it was him. I kept saying under my breathe "God, I hate this stupid kid!" I had to look it up, to find out this, screeching, irritating, infuriating, un-self-aware, naive, little A-hole, was CHRISTIAN BALE??? The script is probably to blame, for his overzealous, attitude, during a grave situation, but I can't get over how tiresome, this actor is, as a child, and an adult. He is an exasperating, self-entitled, crap actor, who needs to go away, or do plays with his ego. Oh my god, I waited the whole movie for someone to punch him in the face, for being such a crazy unaware annoying little Cu**. I honestly can't think of anyone more fu**ing annoying than Christain bale at 12 years old, other than Christian Bale as an adult throwing temper tantrums on set, at real hard workers. Spielberg's WORST MOVIE EVER. Okay, I will admit, that I liked Bale in THE BIG SHORT, and HOSTILES, but he played a quiet, reserved, soldier of war, traumatized by action, and he did a good job keeping his trap shut. but I still hate almost all of his other films.

• Apr 30, 2020

Empire of the Sun is a lesser Spielberg work that benefits from some terrific technical aspects – particularly the cinematography is great and the score is beautiful and grandiose. But the movie has forgettable characters, it's overlong and emotionally manipulative per usual for the director. On a side note, it's comforting to know that some things in life just never change with Christian Bale having been just as annoying as a kid as he is now.