The English Patient - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The English Patient Reviews

½ January 29, 2018
7 7 7 7 7 7 7 7 7 7 = 70
½ September 4, 2017
The English Patient didn't have enough story to fill in it's length, the romance was a bit underwhelming too. The performances were fantastic though and the script well written. The English Patient is a beautiful looking film and has plenty of excellent moments.
½ August 7, 2017
Despite featuring brilliant acting, a brilliant soundtrack and an emotional wartime story unlike often seen, The English Patient is unfortunately a slow-burner and, at times, it seems like this could have been trimmed ever so slightly. There isn't enough happening with their relationship, aside from getting together, being together and abruptly ending, to be able to withstand the time limit, and in the present Willem Dafoe's arc and the romance between Kip and Hana isn't, ironically, afforded enough time for it to merit too much emotional interest. A finely put-together movie, but with its flaws.
July 7, 2017
Expected more but the performances were breathtaking !
½ April 8, 2017
The Casablanca of the late 20th Century? No. Not so much sterile, affected and regular, but passionate, poetic and powerful. Minghella' inspired adaptation of Ondaatje's novel is the finest romantic epic i have ever seen.
April 7, 2017
Overrated, very standard movie.

Not entertaining in the slightest - the book is a better alternative .
March 25, 2017
Enjoyed the love story, could have done with a little less sub-plot with Hana. Ralph Fiennes wins me over in every movie.
February 28, 2017
"The English Patient" is another example that proves if you want to win Best Picture at the Oscars, make the longest, most boring movie the film gods will give you the strength to make.
February 20, 2017
Man, this movie seemed long. I didn't see what was so special with this movie though. I liked the film's music. And it took me a while to figure out that he was actually flashing back and forth. I'm not sure if this ultimately is a love story, but hey, it won best picture. I would definitely not watch this movie again. But it was ok.
February 1, 2017
1962 Was 34 Years Old In 1996 And 1927 Was 69 Years Old In 1996 As Well.
January 28, 2017
Set against the backdrop of the final stages of WWII is a tale of love, betrayal and misery that reminds us of what cinema can be. The rewards given were well deserved.

Note: I did not appreciate this years ago as a young man, therefore I would recommend a second viewing to my fellow movie buffs.
½ January 17, 2017
My first Minghella...and debut of high-fidelity ! ....grandiose
½ January 12, 2017
This was too sad and depressing to watch, but the cinematography was cool.
January 10, 2017
So boring. It maybe a desert simulator.
November 28, 2016
Ambitious, a bit tiresome but worth story of love and traiton. Remarkable performances.
½ November 27, 2016
Fairly standard script, drawn out a bit, acting is a bit hit or miss. Film is saved by a really good performance by Kristin Scott Thomas.
November 26, 2016
The kind of overlong and self-important epic-scale drama that seems tailor-made to win every award for its outstanding visuals, performances, make-up and editing, but which suffers from an excess of characters and subplots while lacking in focus and meaning.
½ September 19, 2016
The first big problem with this movie is that it decided to stick with the structure of the novel by attempting to inter-cut one story in the present and another in the past. The problem is there is no solid connection between the two thematically. It would be different if there were some strong thematic ties between what was happening in the past scenes and what was happening in the present scenes, but I did not see that here at all. It's like someone took 2 movies and tried splicing them together randomly, and then inserted a bunch of lines at the end from Ralph Fiennes in his Voldemort makeup which attempted to portray him as the man in the other story. That's tough enough to swallow, but there's a bigger problem at the core of this film...the star-crossed love affair at the center of it is despicable to begin with. Because they so perfectly show the happy marriage of Kristin Scott Thomas and Colin Firth, it makes me despise the 2 main characters for what they are doing to Firth. They don't even feel the need in this movie to show any real reason that people are falling in love with each other, it's kind of like "Your a woman, I'm a man, let's do this!" I didn't feel a lick of romance in the relationship between the Count and Katharine, and most of the romance between Hana and Kip was overly cheesy candlelit cliches. The pacing of the movie doesn't help either. The entire thing is like a funeral dirge of tedium as they take an agonizingly long time to get anywhere. Also, did I hear right? Did Ralph Fiennes actually say that he DID work for the Nazis? This guy is despicable, why is he the centerpiece of this movie? I hated all the characters, I hated the story, I hated the dialogue, and I hated the acting performances. It's 20 years after the fact, but I can finally join the chorus of people who were appalled that this film won an Oscar for Best Picture.
September 6, 2016
An epic film....cinema at its best.