The English Patient - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The English Patient Reviews

½ July 10, 2018
I walked out of this movie within the first half hour when it as first shown in cinemas... something I've done that less than a handful of times in four decades of cinema going. If you like most mainstream war/romance/drama films, then you might like this movie. I find all those genre types generally quite boring, so it's no surprise that I hated this film as much as Elaine did in one episode of Seinfeld.
½ June 21, 2018
The English Patient is a 1996 American romantic war drama film directed by Anthony Minghella.
AAW GGWD 1001
½ May 16, 2018
I'm not a hard guy to entertain. This is the most boring movie I ever tried to sit through. This has got to be the least entertaining movie ever made.
½ April 26, 2018
Too long and drawn out. He would not die...
April 22, 2018
The 69th Academy Award Best Picture winner, famous for the excellent performances of Ralph Fiennes, Kristin Scott Thomas and the Oscar winner Juliette Binoche in which a badly burned man, Laszlo de Almasy, is tended to by a nurse in an Italian monastery near the end of World War II. His past is revealed through flashbacks involving a married Englishwoman and his work mapping the African landscape. Winner of 9 out of 12 nominations, it is perhaps excessively long but it is a good romantic drama, whose novel could be worthy of reading.
½ April 16, 2018
Worst movie I've ever seen in my life
½ April 7, 2018
and you never want to talk..

The English Patient

Few high pitched dramatic sequences are shot so beautifully that it is almost impossible not to be moved by it but ticking for around 160 minutes the build of the scrutiny is chewed off way too much before it even hits the screen. Anthony Minghella's adaptation isn't smart enough to match its brilliant execution skills that helps connect the dots no matter how much time it consumes. Ralph Fiennes is brilliant in his portrayal and is supported thoroughly by a great supporting cast like Juliette Binoche, Willem Dafoe and Colin Firth. The English Patient is a character driven feature where it goes boldly to a dark place and still somehow manages to keep it beautiful and filled with hope where the key lies onto its moving performance.
March 30, 2018
The English Patient makes my 100 best films list!
March 8, 2018
"The English Patient" is another example that proves if you want to win Best Picture at the Oscars, make the longest, most boring melodrama the film gods will give you the strength to make.
March 1, 2018
Takes ages to get going, but an excellent last 45 minutes makes up for it.

(However it?s hard to watch Ralph Fiennes in prosthetics and not see Voldemort, and there are quite a few pervy Weinsteinesque touches...)
½ February 24, 2018
Best picture. 1001 movies to see before you die.
½ January 29, 2018
7 7 7 7 7 7 7 7 7 7 = 70
½ September 4, 2017
The English Patient didn't have enough story to fill in it's length, the romance was a bit underwhelming too. The performances were fantastic though and the script well written. The English Patient is a beautiful looking film and has plenty of excellent moments.
½ August 7, 2017
Despite featuring brilliant acting, a brilliant soundtrack and an emotional wartime story unlike often seen, The English Patient is unfortunately a slow-burner and, at times, it seems like this could have been trimmed ever so slightly. There isn't enough happening with their relationship, aside from getting together, being together and abruptly ending, to be able to withstand the time limit, and in the present Willem Dafoe's arc and the romance between Kip and Hana isn't, ironically, afforded enough time for it to merit too much emotional interest. A finely put-together movie, but with its flaws.
July 7, 2017
Expected more but the performances were breathtaking !
½ April 8, 2017
The Casablanca of the late 20th Century? No. Not so much sterile, affected and regular, but passionate, poetic and powerful. Minghella' inspired adaptation of Ondaatje's novel is the finest romantic epic i have ever seen.
April 7, 2017
Overrated, very standard movie.

Not entertaining in the slightest - the book is a better alternative .
March 25, 2017
Enjoyed the love story, could have done with a little less sub-plot with Hana. Ralph Fiennes wins me over in every movie.
February 20, 2017
Man, this movie seemed long. I didn't see what was so special with this movie though. I liked the film's music. And it took me a while to figure out that he was actually flashing back and forth. I'm not sure if this ultimately is a love story, but hey, it won best picture. I would definitely not watch this movie again. But it was ok.