E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial Reviews

½ July 20, 2016
This movie used to scare me to death...but now I love it!
July 17, 2016
I've seen it b4 but it's been a long time.

7/17/16
I put NOT INTERESTED in this??!!! What?! This is so cute!!! And so classic!!! Funny too!
July 14, 2016
I love this universal film of E.T
July 13, 2016
There's a reason that E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial is one of the highest grossing films of all time. This movie gets nearly everything right. Steven Spielberg does a great job of balancing sentimentality and comedy, while also generating a sense of wonder. Plus, the visual effects still hold up after over 30 years. It's a bit slower than I remember, but, nevertheless, this is a film for the ages.
July 10, 2016
De las indispensables de Spielberg. Un personaje entraņable en una historia de amistad sin fronteras. Cuidense de las imitaciones. A destacar el score de John Williams.
½ June 29, 2016
My all time favorite movie! I cry everytime.
June 25, 2016
When we haven't moved on with our life, when something is missing along. When we can't get off our mind the ones that left and the ones that come to our life. When we are morally obligated to help those in trouble or strangely wound up in a different place from their home. When we lack a father figure in our life that changes
½ June 24, 2016
Looking back tough to rate these
June 22, 2016
I love this movie it is great and hartwarming
June 20, 2016
Emotional, heartwarming and superbly directed.
June 19, 2016
This wonderful film will go down in history as the most timeless and most influential story ever.
June 18, 2016
One of the greatest films ever made. Emotional roller coaster throughout the film. One of the few movies to ever make me cry. Without question should be watched by everyone more not just once but multiple times.
June 17, 2016
Emotionally powerful.
June 12, 2016
ET is one of Steven Spielberg's most beloved films and debatably one of his best. It has a great cast of characters, a nice atmosphere to it, and isn't too predictable - it's made to be iconic. Something about the plot, however, never stuck with me - its second half's energy feels as low as the characters feel in that half.
A Californian small town kid named Elliot finds an alien who has crash landed in his backyard. Taking him in as a pet and exposing him to his older brother and younger sister, they try to avoid from their mother and a scheming team of government alien specialists.
Spielberg has ton of a great films and is a revolutionary director. I would, without a doubt, consider him one of the greatest directors of all time - I personally think Tarantino tops him on certain films - and ET is no exception. Spielberg was on a roll with alien related films in his early years as a director and ET is one of the pinnacles of his career. From the moment Elliot and ET's great chemistry is introduced, the film shines as something bold and immediately classic. Scenes like that with pure magic to it are all throughout the film. ET's abilities being exposed is great to watch and the big scene of the film is the flying bike scene, the scene shown on every poster, advertisement, or merchandise. ET also shows great child acting in a field that is hard to work with. Drew Barrymore as a kid is notable in the cast and is often brought up in discussion with ET. ET really is great, but something about the second half of the film seems really off. (Spoilers, btw) When ET is found sick and dying by Michael, the tone of the film turns from magic to bleakness - honestly this is what the film is trying to accomplish and it works but the atmosphere of the scene where Elliot and ET are both lying sick and being examined, talking to each other and a bleak white room - what once was magic turns to an odd change of tone to off putting. The end makes up for it, but even then a lot of sadness in the tone feels off for a film with a lot of imagination and color to its first half. This really is only minor, but it takes up a good half hour of the film. It seems like the film still could have been really effective without it and the ending still stay the same. ET is one of Spielberg's best and is one of the greatest childrens films ever, with a great premise, great chemistry, and lovable characters - it still holds up very well today and ET still proves as iconic as ever.
June 10, 2016
I now know why I never liked this movie and it had nothing to do with my brother but rather how slow it was and how unsettling the second half is. I feel like I watched it as a kid but mom must have made me leave after they fly away in front of the moon either that or I fell asleep by then... Now having said that the music and Drew Barrymore's performance is why it gets 2 stars.
June 5, 2016
Still one of the best movies of all time (period).
June 2, 2016
Not sure why the user reviews only have 74%. I think this is a kind of movie you had to grow up with as it is a story about humanity and connections on a higher level. If you are looking for action packed with cars exploding with fast paced dialogue, than the wrong movie it is.
May 30, 2016
The emotional parts were simply unforgettable. I may or may not have seen this as a kid, but either way, I always seemed to remember some of the well-known parts (possibly from trailers and what-not). It certainly did get to me, especially the ending. It is quite understandable enough to why this film was so good during its day. The E.T. character himself was well made for non-CGI. I did find it slightly strange that the government scientists wanted to help the alien right away and not take it. Overall another good Stephen Spielberg film. I wish I had seen this one more as a kid.
May 27, 2016
This is a weird movie for me to talk about...I both LOVE and HATE this movie at the same time. This film has a lot of style...yet not enough substance.

The relationship between the boy and the alien is excellent throughout, and the emotion between over the two heroes is something to invest in. And the animatronic alien (when they are not using CGI), is one of the greatest special effects I've seen.

The problem is that those emotional (Both Over-Happy and Over-Sad) scenes happen too often, and dragged for too long. I didn't feel as much atmosphere as I should have, instead I felt like I was watching some overly cute Disney Channel show with a big budget and big score. OK, that was too harsh...But no excuse for being melodramatic to the highest degree.

I can why this is a classic for many people, but I'll just put this in the "Meh" pile.

P.S. WE GET IT SPIELBERG!!! YOU AND GEORGE LUCAS ARE BEST BUDDIES! BUT THE STAR WARS REFERENCES WERE OUT OF CONTROL!!! NOT COOL,DUDE!
May 25, 2016
This film was amazing (Drew Berrymore waz sooo cute in this film)!