E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial Reviews

June 26, 2017
E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial is a timeless film with truly memorable moments. Additionally, it fortifies the filmography of Spielberg and strengthens the pillars of science-fiction and fantasy.
June 26, 2017
June 21, 2017
Overrated.Why on earth is Elliot interested in girls at his age?
June 19, 2017
A classic, timeless tale of friendship between a 10-year-old boy and an extra-terrestrial that warms your heart and remains one of the most well-known science fiction films of all time.
June 13, 2017
Everybody loves E.T. So an alien is left behind on Earth, and is seeking shelter. A young boy named Elliott (Henry Thomas) decides to help by keeping him under wraps and looking after his safety, as many of the adults just wouldn't understand. Now this is a classic that I really didn't grow up with. Almost all of my peers around the same age bracket harbor an adoration for E.T., but I didn't actually experience it for my first time until just a few years back. I thought it was decent when I finally watched it, but didn't really see what the big fuss was about. As the years have passed, I've grown fonder of this little alien who dresses in human clothing. Now I will be the first to admit, the reason why my goodwill for E.T. has developed has a lot to do with the charming attraction at Universal Studios. The ride itself smells like a childhood basement in the best way possible, and if nostalgia had a smell, I feel like it would smell like the maze that you walk through to board the ride. The one thing that you have to understand about E.T. is that it is a kid's movie. It's not much more than a simple boy and his dog story, and it is geared toward pre-teenagers... although nowadays I don't know if they would have the attention span for E.T., with the desensitization of fast paced video games and cartoons. Regardless, Steven Spielberg flat out knows how to craft a film, and he goes that extra mile where a normal director would probably cut a corner. While E.T. has grown on me throughout the years, I don't think it is a perfect film. For one thing, I do feel that it runs a touch on the long side, and while there is never a point where it grinds to a halt, there is a stretch where it slows down considerably between the second act and the bicycle finale. This is a movie that has inspired many other projects, some with great reception (Stranger Things) to others that think that the whole point was product placement (Mac and Me). Will E.T. forever stand the test of time? That remains to be seen, but it is still a staple of many a childhood, and for that, it deserves credit.
June 4, 2017
***
Despite dragging at times and feeling a little dated, 'E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial' has its heart in the right place. Great performances and assured direction from Spielberg help elevate the movie from its familiar premise.
May 28, 2017
A classic story of both childhood and science fiction adventure. Still holds up well even after 35 years. Rating: 8/10
May 21, 2017
Perfect. From story to direction to performances to music to the emotion it inspires you to feel, every time you watch it. Everything is perfect.
½ May 4, 2017
even if this movie is old, it still was enjoyable for my family and cousins.
May 3, 2017
Wow what a great movie I liked it a lot! You can't go wrong with this movie
May 1, 2017
A simple tale, well scripted and filmed. Vintage Spielberg.
April 20, 2017
THIS IS A SUPER FANTASTIC FAMILY FILM. I always enjoy this movie. Definitely one of my top 10 sci-fi movies. 10 out of 10 stars.
April 13, 2017
Pure childhood. Love it
April 3, 2017
I absolutely hated this moving. I found it way to emotionally manipulative.
April 1, 2017
WHAT I LIKED: E.T. is frankly one of the most magical movie experiences out there, as it transports you right back to youth in the simplicity and joy of its charm, anxieties, characters and themes of acceptance and friendship. I suppose that's hardly a shock from Mr Spielberg, but the wonder of his imagination and the beauty of his simple craft shines most strongly here, and the result is an almost dream-like experince.
WHAT I DIDN'T LIKE: It's very hard to fault, but I don't find it top of my lists because it's just nothing particularly stretching, probing or profound. It's not supposed to be though, and for what it is it's pretty damn close to perfect.
VERDICT: A lovely, emotional movie that takes you right back to the shoes of your childhood self. It speaks Spielberg more than any other, and that's both a good and bad thing.
March 29, 2017
September 28th-29th 2012
March 29th 2017
March 24, 2017
I watched this movie thousands of times in my youth. Classic
½ March 20, 2017
Awesome, especially for its time. Very impressive.
March 18, 2017
So awesome and sweet. A very fun and good movie for all ages. The alien is cute and weird at the same time. Very good for kids. I liked it a lot.
½ March 14, 2017
As a 13 year old I can remember crying at the end when ET dies. I really liked it. But as an adult this movie just doesn't hold up. Many of Spielberg's other films do, like Raiders, but not this one.