E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial Reviews

½ November 9, 2018
This film was solid.
October 29, 2018
Liked it as a kid but it doesn't really hold up as an adult.
½ October 22, 2018
The Extra-Terrestrial is one of the biggest money makers in box-office history. It is quite possibly the best known of all Steven Spielberg's films. Even at the relatively young cinematic age of two decades, it is beloved by multiple generations of film-goers. Yet it is arguably the most overrated motion picture to arrive in theaters during the 1980s. Obviously, this isn't a popular thing to say, and it's not meant to denigrate E.T. as being badly or clumsily made. In fact, viewed as a fable or an allegory (it's actually based on The Day the Earth Stood Still, which is a thinly-veiled re-telling of the Christ story), E.T. is successful. But there are times, especially during the final third, when it is hugely overwrought. Spielberg has always shown a penchant for overt manipulation, but nowhere is this more obvious than in E.T., where he pulls out all the stops in an effort to bleed tears from the eyes of every audience member. It doesn't take a cynical nature to recognize what the director is doing. Regardless, this is a classic. (In hindsight slightly overemotional but still great).
October 20, 2018
Steven Spielberg's Crea este magnifico y clásico film que conecta la amistad entre un extraterrestre y un joven , la increíble fantasía que este cineasta logra plasmar en este film que cautivar a su audiencia de manera increíble, un real clásico de ciencia ficción .
October 16, 2018
its..a feel good story...time jumper to the old....but a story that holds up over years.
October 14, 2018
One of the most legendary films of all time!
October 13, 2018
This is my favorite movie of all time. I HIGHLY recommend it. When I first watched it at age like.. 6... I did not speak a single word for the entire film... completely mesmerized. I've realized as an adult, I have a very soft spot for alien movies and this was the start. It's cinematically stunning.. the music is classic... and the actual story is perfection. This movie is truly a masterpiece. Bravo, Steven Spielberg. MAJOR PROPS
October 10, 2018
Spielberg's meaning of true friendship
October 7, 2018
An almost flawless portrayal of childhood, as well as an exciting children's movie.
September 30, 2018
Steven Spielberg's great as always. No matter how much I get old, I will always love this movie and keep watching it.
½ September 19, 2018
One of the best Steven Spielberg films and one of the greatest masterpieces ever; With a great soundtrack, good actors, good scenes and special effects. One of the best classics of science fiction. Highly recommend.
September 6, 2018
A classic for the family.
½ September 3, 2018
Playing with invisible friend and looking after a pet combined. But from space.
½ September 2, 2018
Hihi... Ma première grosse trouille devant un vrai film (Il est moche même s'il est gentil).
September 1, 2018
A touching family film that is worth rewatching many times. The idea of family and friendship is really strong and throughout the movie the child actors were able to show the progression in friendship and how ET slowly got closer to the children. The ending was extremely touching and wrapped up this beautiful craft perfectly. The plot, conflict and characters were very well-made and Spielberg, the writers and the actors all deserve the praise that this film is getting.
August 30, 2018
And so began Spielberg's 1980's descent into filmmaking mediocrity with this fairy tale of a walking honey bun with eyes and his human companions.
August 27, 2018
Yeah its predictable all throughout the movie but as it is playing as a fun adventure full of wonder and succeeds as playing a portrait of childhood, E.T is the embodiment of Spielberg magic.
August 19, 2018
OK, but very manipulative, like most of Spielberg's movies.
August 7, 2018
Spielberg's greatest impact on pop culture.

E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial is Steven Spielberg's ultimate cultural touchstone for everyone's childhood. Spielberg redefines alien encounters with E.T. as a lovable, yet realistic puppet instead of the more mystic alien life of old stories. E.T. is what people are thinking of when they refer to 1980's pop culture. It has the child protagonist that must grow up, witty humor, pop culture references, thrilling action sequences, iconic imagery, and intriguing cinematography that keeps you in suspense.

E.T. was the first film I ever saw as a child. It moved me so much that I cried. I understood the emotional connection that Elliott the boy had with E.T. even as a young boy myself. Upon revisiting E.T. as an adult, I found it largely remains charming. The wonder of the story and likability of its characters hold up well. You feel for this 80's California family suffering divorce, boredom, and bullying. You naturally empathize with Elliott's plight and situation.

On the other hand, I found E.T. to have certain aspects that so not hold up when held up to the light of modern day criticism. The acting is mostly passable from the mother and older brother in particular. They are believable and likable. Then, the main son Elliott and daughter Gertie of the movie are pretty compelling as leads. They emote well and deliver lines in a natural manner. Spielberg really coaxed respectable performances out of the young Henry Thomas and Drew Berrymore.

However, I cannot say in honesty that they are always excellent. Their screams are incessant at times and all together unpleasant. In their quieter moments, their emotions ring true. Thomas and Berrymore play innocent, afraid, curious, charming, hilarious, quaint, and brave well to their credit, but their outrageous screeches and yells are blatantly overacted. The supporting cast are serviceable as they play their parts nicely enough with what little screen time they get. Overall, I enjoyed E.T. still regardless of the performances as the film presents its own special charm all the same.

The effects are dated as far as the CGI and green screen, while the puppetry and mini models are masterful landmark achievements in special effects history. You believe the spaceship, flying, and of course, the titular character of the alien E.T. Spielberg's crew did an excellent job building a world that we can believe in reality.

Speaking of Spielberg, the director solidified his legacy as the man who made pop culture what it is today with E.T. He lets us into this world, explore the house set, and believe in E.T. as more than a puppet, but as a character too. Spielberg continues his masterful and subtle use of shadow silhouettes in E.T. as well as emotional close up shots that hold up beautifully. The cinematography is lovely and all based in a real home and neighborhood. The direction is as focused as the stream lined story. E.T. does not overstay its welcome at a respectably short run time.

Furthermore, the writing is superb. Children actually talk like real kids. The teenagers mouth off and act on their own, the little kids speak truthfully with an innocent wonder for all things new, the parents are sincere, yet aware, and the government is curious and intrusive. In all, E.T. works so well as a little adventure with a boy who befriends an alien and must accept his leaving. It's played up to be more empathetic, but it is effective. The science fiction plot-line of Elliott feeling what E.T. does is an exquisite metaphor for Elliott's empathy for E.T's emotions. I think audiences will still be moved by E.T.

Lastly, I must mention John Williams' most enchanting score is what absolutely secures E.T.'s place in people's mind as a cultural touchstone. Williams composed a beautiful score that varies from cues of uncertainty, leaps of fear, to flying through sky with his magically emotive music in the background. It fits E.T.'s atmosphere so well that the music is much of what many remember from E.T. years later. Williams' scored the soundtrack to many childhoods including mine as E.T.'s music is truly a major moment in movie history. Even taking off our nostalgia glasses, E.T. has a lovely and sweet symphony of feelings.

To conclude, Spielberg invents new iconography for our pop culture with each new release and E.T. is perhaps the greatest example of a movie that is magical. Anyone who views E.T. gets wrapped up in the little waddling alien and all the emotion that comes with him. It's a thoroughly charming movie that is highly entertaining to this day. E.T. also doubles as a well made film with all of Spielberg's movie making skills on full display. Watch E.T. with your children, friends, or family and you'll surely have a fun time. It's worth a watch.
August 5, 2018
One of my top 5 favorite movies of all time!