E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial Reviews

½ March 20, 2017
Awesome, especially for its time. Very impressive.
March 18, 2017
So awesome and sweet. A very fun and good movie for all ages. The alien is cute and weird at the same time. Very good for kids. I liked it a lot.
½ March 14, 2017
As a 13 year old I can remember crying at the end when ET dies. I really liked it. But as an adult this movie just doesn't hold up. Many of Spielberg's other films do, like Raiders, but not this one.
March 6, 2017
Easily and simply one of the greatest films of all time. Words really cant describe this masterpiece directed by one of the most sucsessful directors in history of film and tv Stephen Spielberg.
February 27, 2017
One of my most hated movies, even as a child.
February 21, 2017
'E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial' is a well-crafted reflection on the beauty of childlike innocence and friendship, as well as humanity's ability to depart from it, all empowered by the graceful direction of Steven Spielberg and an iconic score by John Williams.
February 12, 2017
Cute Movie with a message but sometimes just gets caught up in being cutesy
February 6, 2017
Interestingly, it hasn't quite held up as strongly as some of the other nostalgic treats of the 80s. Curious to see some of the CGI work done to replace the original puppet but I had forgotten how grim a huge chunk of the movie is. Still, it does feature one of the best "kids doing amazing things" scenes from cinema history.
January 29, 2017
A good kids movie that's actually well written to a point were adults can watch it and like it as well.
½ January 24, 2017
Watched E.T. again after many years of belittling it's impact. How I ever managed to meh this in my memory is beyond me. From realistic dialogue and a marvellous family dynamic to *gasp* actual humans on the government response team, Spielberg just nailed it.

And holy cow, could Stranger Things have borrowed more heavily from E.T.? The D&D campaign, the kids on bikes getting chased through back roads by police cars, the central kid terrifying his single mom, the older brother who seems like a bag of dicks but is truly a standup guy... it goes on.
January 23, 2017
Charming, magical sci-fi-fairy tale, and a true 80s classic. The excellent child actors carry this film (there is only one adult's face visible for the first 90 minutes), and the E.T. doll was wonderfully convincing for that time and still works today. The message of tolerance and friendship may be naive and predictable, and the melodrama a bit over the top, but it's hard not to lose your heart to this adorable story. A bit slow at times, the magical, exciting showdown speeds things up really well, leading to a heart-warming solution. Adults may grow out of being fascinated by this film, but it will forever be a movie that brings a glow into children's eyes.
January 14, 2017
The best family film ever. *great movie
January 12, 2017
honestly, I don't really remember it
January 10, 2017
I remember seeing this film as a kid on VHS, but little did I know that I was watching the altered CGI Version aka the Director's Cut. Word around the web is that that particular version is a disgrace to the E.T legacy, much like the Star Wars special editions (George Lucas and Steven Spielberg are best buddies you know?). Anyway, I was able to watch the unaltered, original version shown in theatres. Sure I didn't get all the scenes I remembered as a kid, like the scene where Elliot pours Coca-Cola onto the telephone, but what I did get was pure 80's kids sci-fi magic. I really think this is the perfect way to introduce children to Science Fiction, other than Star Wars of course. Speaking of which, there are a ton of Star Wars references in this film (Another nod to Spielberg's good buddy George Lucas). The reason why this film is so beloved by many, is because of the relationship between the kids and E.T. Not only are these some of the best child performances I've ever seen, but the way they interact with E.T is so dead on. Even E.T. is cute and charming to watch. He sees the world with curious eyes much like how the children view him. I will admit, however, for young children, there are some downright terrifying scenes. For kids aged 8 and older, I don't see it being a huge problem, but there is a subplot about the government looking for E.T. which comes to the forefront later on which can be pretty dark for a kids film. Also, one mention of "son of a bitch", but kids films could get away with that film. Also, warn the social justice warriors for scenes of alien and child intoxication and a young middle school boy kissing a girl without her consent. I'm only kidding of course. This film takes the subject of "are we alone in the universe?" and turns it into wonderful kids, science fiction adventure. Every kid should experience the magic of E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial!
½ January 3, 2017
E.T. is a great 80's movie with all the best elements especially direction and vision by Spielberg. It was a fun, energetic, and a bit childish. The only portion of the movie I didn't understand was when ET was dying how did it come back to life? It was great to see the streets of my neighborhood in the movie. Overall it was a great movie with a young Drew Barrymore in one of her first films.
January 3, 2017
Good movie, but lags at times. Watched as a kid and adult with my kids, they thought the same thing.
December 28, 2016
A fantastic film. Good plot. good pacing, memorable characters, and E.T is so cool! There are parts that almost made me cry! I highly recommend this film if you haven't seen it!
December 28, 2016
Not a fan of Spielberg but gotta say this drama sci-fi movie it's brilliantly executed.
December 20, 2016
One of those all-encompassing children's/family films.
December 18, 2016
One of Steven Spielberg's best films to date, E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial is a true sci-fi classic thanks to a subtly touching story with an ending that will make even older viewers feel like dwelling up with tears, unforgettable performances from its memorable characters including, in a breakthrough role, Drew Barrymore and even a couple of laughs. I mean, who wouldn't laugh at seeing an alien unintentionally dress in drag or get drunk resulting in Elliott behaving oddly at school because of a psychic connection he has with the aliens? A true masterpiece.