E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial Reviews

January 14, 2017
The best family film ever. *great movie
January 12, 2017
honestly, I don't really remember it
January 10, 2017
I remember seeing this film as a kid on VHS, but little did I know that I was watching the altered CGI Version aka the Director's Cut. Word around the web is that that particular version is a disgrace to the E.T legacy, much like the Star Wars special editions (George Lucas and Steven Spielberg are best buddies you know?). Anyway, I was able to watch the unaltered, original version shown in theatres. Sure I didn't get all the scenes I remembered as a kid, like the scene where Elliot pours Coca-Cola onto the telephone, but what I did get was pure 80's kids sci-fi magic. I really think this is the perfect way to introduce children to Science Fiction, other than Star Wars of course. Speaking of which, there are a ton of Star Wars references in this film (Another nod to Spielberg's good buddy George Lucas). The reason why this film is so beloved by many, is because of the relationship between the kids and E.T. Not only are these some of the best child performances I've ever seen, but the way they interact with E.T is so dead on. Even E.T. is cute and charming to watch. He sees the world with curious eyes much like how the children view him. I will admit, however, for young children, there are some downright terrifying scenes. For kids aged 8 and older, I don't see it being a huge problem, but there is a subplot about the government looking for E.T. which comes to the forefront later on which can be pretty dark for a kids film. Also, one mention of "son of a bitch", but kids films could get away with that film. Also, warn the social justice warriors for scenes of alien and child intoxication and a young middle school boy kissing a girl without her consent. I'm only kidding of course. This film takes the subject of "are we alone in the universe?" and turns it into wonderful kids, science fiction adventure. Every kid should experience the magic of E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial!
½ January 3, 2017
E.T. is a great 80's movie with all the best elements especially direction and vision by Spielberg. It was a fun, energetic, and a bit childish. The only portion of the movie I didn't understand was when ET was dying how did it come back to life? It was great to see the streets of my neighborhood in the movie. Overall it was a great movie with a young Drew Barrymore in one of her first films.
January 3, 2017
Good movie, but lags at times. Watched as a kid and adult with my kids, they thought the same thing.
December 28, 2016
A fantastic film. Good plot. good pacing, memorable characters, and E.T is so cool! There are parts that almost made me cry! I highly recommend this film if you haven't seen it!
December 28, 2016
Not a fan of Spielberg but gotta say this drama sci-fi movie it's brilliantly executed.
December 20, 2016
One of those all-encompassing children's/family films.
December 18, 2016
One of Steven Spielberg's best films to date, E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial is a true sci-fi classic thanks to a subtly touching story with an ending that will make even older viewers feel like dwelling up with tears, unforgettable performances from its memorable characters including, in a breakthrough role, Drew Barrymore and even a couple of laughs. I mean, who wouldn't laugh at seeing an alien unintentionally dress in drag or get drunk resulting in Elliott behaving oddly at school because of a psychic connection he has with the aliens? A true masterpiece.
December 6, 2016
it was such a joy to return to this film and esp share it with my younger niece and nephew. While the slow start (while I love) took them a little while to get into the film, lots of fiddling and wanting to play with their smartphone.. soon the fidgeting stopped and along with me, they were wiping away tears.. forever a beautiful film.

Roger Ebert describes it best..
"E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial" is a reminder of what movies are for. Most movies are not for any one thing, of course. Some are to make us think, some to make us feel, some to take us away from our problems, some to help us examine them. What is enchanting about "E.T." is that, in some measure, it does all of those things.
December 4, 2016
Top 10 all time best movies for sure!
November 26, 2016
Rating: 9.1 out of 10.
November 23, 2016
Gotta love it. I wonder if new generations are being properly introduced to this super cool classic.
November 22, 2016
72%?? what the hell is wrong with you people!? Let me just say this...

one of the greatest movies of all time!

shove your 72%!
November 21, 2016
Star 1969 Julie andrews full movie
November 20, 2016
this is one of the best movies I have seen in a long time. I'm seven and this is a wonderful movie and kind of sad at the end. from Olivia.
November 13, 2016
One of the greatest movies ever made.
No one has ever made a valid critcism of this movie.
I donīt know what the 28 percent of the audience that doesnīt like this movie must be thinking. its as simple as this:
you donīt love e.t, you donīt love movies. E.t is the definition of movie magic.
October 28, 2016
A story of friendship that can never be replicated; E.T. is a milestone in storytelling, directing, and emotionally impacting movies. Spielberg proves his mastery of the craft with this extremely fun and touching story of an unlikely friendship that deserves all the praise it gets. I recommend this to anyone.
October 23, 2016
Another awesome Spielberg film.
October 22, 2016
However technically proficient the filmmaking may be the sentimentality is cloying not enduring, and you know I'm right.