Everything is Illuminated Reviews

• May 30, 2019

Awful adaptation of the novel. Completely loses the profound, riveting, and unique effects created by the book's concurrent storylines.

• Apr 28, 2019

Quirky and thought provoking. If you can stick with it in, you'll find its persistent eccentricity worth the time.

• Jan 31, 2019

I'm surprised that the Tomatometer isn't higher for this film, and seriously wonder if I've missed something given the significantly higher Audience Score.

• Apr 01, 2018

Steeped in affecting history but lacking countless cinematic must-haves, this movie is a long, dull, albeit quirky ride that goes in circles as oppose to nowhere which is all the more frustrating. While it is proficiently made, I was underwhelmed by the production and think Liev Schreiber, although competent as a filmmaker, should stick to acting because ironically Everything is Illuminated never shines.

• Aug 28, 2017

"Laughter thru tears is my favorite emotion" Unlike Steel Magnolias, Everything is Illuminated only a mild to mostly moderate tear jerker. But if you were crying and then suddenly laughing when Claire suddenly urged M'Lynn to slap Shirley MacLane then Everything is Illuminated might be the kind of movie that will go on your list of favorites. In the beginning the movie feels a little absurd, two very different people start the search for an unknown person in a place that doesn't exist anymore. Wood and Hutz play characters whose contrast in culture and personality is a riot and I was enjoying the film before their adventure really started. The Steele Magnolias quote came to mind because this movie is a comedy as well as a drama rooted in the holocaust. Conflicts and frustrations are tempered with just enough comedy that showed different sides to the characters, and I think prepared them and us for the climax. I noticed that a lot of the critics who gave this movie a 'rotten' mostly compared it to the book it is based upon. I like this movie so much I should read the book, and because I saw the movie first I will probably like both.

• Jun 13, 2017

This movie is thoughtful, in depth, and beautiful. The dynamics of the characters are wide ranging with Alex providing the most humor. This is my favorite movie. The story is beautiful and well directed and acted.

• Apr 29, 2017

Absolutely fantastic and worth watching. A story of strange minds with a simple story of searching for your roots. A couple of underlying plots from Jewish history but the film focus is on the journey, not the Nazi mistakes of the past.

• Dec 16, 2016

Smart & modern story-telling of a journey back into history. Watch this

Smart & modern story-telling of a journey back into history. Watch this

Letitia L Super Reviewer
    Sep 29, 2016

Plot was draggy but the Gogol Bordello guy (and the dog) stole the show.

Plot was draggy but the Gogol Bordello guy (and the dog) stole the show.

• Jun 16, 2016

Actually helps to illuminate the somewhat confusing plot in the book. The dog is wonderful!