The Exorcism of Emily Rose - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Exorcism of Emily Rose Reviews

November 9, 2016
This holds a special place in my heart as one of the first horror movies I ever really loved. I was hesitant to revisit it, worried that my nostalgia would be tainted. Luckily, that wasn't the case. A well-acted & well-directed mixture of drama and horror, the courtroom setting is a welcome spin on the genre. The way it counters the possession scenes by showing what the court doctors and lawyers present as more likely keeps the affairs close to earth, while leaving plenty of room for spiritual possibilities.
September 14, 2016
Courtroom drama, with the possession told as the case. Some truly terrifying scenes, that made me scared when I went to bed.
½ August 7, 2016
Not to bad. With committed performances from Jennifer Carpenter and Laura Linney, as well as a few creepy moments, it's definitely worth a watch.
½ August 3, 2016
great under rated horror movie
July 25, 2016
A very good and scary movie, especially the second half of the film. Of all the films with exorcisms, this is, without a doubt, the second best one after "The Exorcist" (1973). The performances by everyone are pretty solid and it's good a thrilling and clever plot, in a way, it even feels like a documentary on what really happenned. Very entertaining and good. Recommended !!
July 2, 2016
Una de las mejores cosas que se puede decir de "Emily Rose" es que es un interesante acercamiento a una historia de terror, que además se basa en hechos reales. Es refrescante el tratamiento que se le da y el hecho de que a pesar de la aparición de elementos sobrenaturales estos son tratados desde la perspectiva de sus personajes, porque lo que la realidad de su existencia radica en la creencia de estos por partes de los personajes. ¿Existe el demonio de verdad? Quizás sólo en nuestra cabeza, pero lo importante no es si existe o no, sino lo que creemos que existe. He aquí el razonamiento de la película. Como poco, yo diría que refrescante...
½ June 12, 2016
No fue tan terrible como todo mundo dijo, sin embargo fue interesante ver el punto legal al que puede llevar un exorcismo.
½ June 11, 2016
Not a bad movie.. possession scenes are great and she does remind of Annaliese Michel pre and post possession.
May 23, 2016
If you like a good supernatural story this is for you, especially if you like stories based off true events.
May 13, 2016
The Exorcism of Emily Rose is a movie that's full of good ideas, and very compelling source material to work off of, but just can't capitalize on all of this. Based (loosely) on the story of Anneliese Michel, the movie is essentially two parts: the main half is a courtroom drama, while the latter half actually deals with the titular exorcism. This results in a story that is only sporadically compelling. The courtroom aspect has lots of potential, but falls into the trap of being a little too one-sided. The key to a courtroom drama is making sure that both sides are presented fairly and are valid to the viewer: unfortunately, writers Scott Derrickson (who also directs in his debut feature) and Paul Harris Boardman fail to deliver in that manner. The acting here is good, at least: Laura Linney, Tom Wilkinson, and Campbell Scott all do well, with Scott being the standout as a lawyer rooted in fact over faith. The other half, the exorcism, is much more compelling, but naturally doesn't have enough screentime. The scenes are quite suspenseful and horrifying, largely due to Jennifer Carpenter's performance as Emily Rose. Carpenter's performance is little more than scared hyperventilating, gruesome contorting, and screaming, but she does so in a chillingly realistic way. It's a shame that this one isn't great, because the story of Anneliese Michel (which the film strangely ignores in favor of making Emily's story seem to be the "true story" this is based on) is a haunting tale that poses some very thought-provoking questions about morality that this film lacks.
½ April 29, 2016
3.5/5*
The movie is very different from all the stereotypes in the current horror genre.
The first act is sort of slow to me but the rest is very interesting to watch.
March 6, 2016
The second best exorcism movie next to the exorcist.
February 26, 2016
A very creepy film indeed.
½ December 29, 2015
Pretty good film, not so scary but very interesting as it is based on a true story. I wonder how it really happened especially in court.
December 3, 2015
It really doesn't have much to offer in terms of originality, and turns out to be very fast and loose with handling it's source material. But The Exorcism of Emily Rose is a generally compelling horror with some courtroom drama substance to go along with it's intense moments.
½ November 3, 2015
A fresh take on the traditional exorcism movies - woven around a courtroom trial. I liked it.
½ August 15, 2015
There are some rather creepy moments in the movie but just never finds its stride.
July 27, 2015
I saw this on Halloween with friends and it made me realize that I underestimated this film! I originally had given this a three out of four stars but I've recently decided to regard as a four-star picture. I guess this is more of a courtroom drama than a horror film but I think that's a wise decision. It provides a fresh outlook about exorcism. Laura Linney is amazing as a defense lawyer who initially took the job because she wanted to make partner but changes as her faith (or lack thereof) is challenged by both the darkness and the people that have been affected by it. The courtroom scenes are definitely highlights but the scene that stood out to me the most was when Emily Rose's boyfriend woke up in the middle of the night and Emily was not right next to him like she was supposed to. Whenever I go to sleep, I think about that and it freaks me out. This is a chilling film that has great focus. Not only that, it also challenges those who have faith, those who do not have faith, and those who are inbetween, such as me, in so many levels.
July 15, 2015
A horror movie as courtroom procedural...or is it the other way around. Either way the characters are pretty much standard archetypes, yet played (mostly) with such sincerity that they are effective. The performance of Jennifer Carpenter as the titular subject of the exorcism is especially superb as she devolves from innocent girl next door to, perhaps, possession of 6 demons. So while you should find all the plot elements cloying, it somehow works.
July 5, 2015
crap i hate this move i was so bored