The Exorcism of Emily Rose - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Exorcism of Emily Rose Reviews

October 29, 2017
4/5. The Exorcism of Emily Rose is an interesting twist on a possession movie, in that it is more of a legal thriller that takes place after the spooky stuff. The story is very interesting and does a good job of presenting both sides of the case. It could use a few more scares, but Jennifer Carpenter gives a haunting performance as the titular Emily Rose.
½ October 3, 2017
Despite this "movie" being a few years old, I am only just seeing it now on Syfy. To even call this a movie is like calling a leaking septic tank a garden. Even commercials for feminine hygiene products are more exciting than this "movie". I think I've been more entertained by finding dog feces on the bottom of my shoes.
½ October 3, 2017
I'm split on this movie to be honest. I think it is fairly accurate in the fact that if this TRUE story happened in todays world, this would have been fairly accurate in the fact that in the U.S her death would have surely gone through the courts. I truly believe in the story of Annaliese M. the German girl which this movie it is based on. Annaliese's possession was very well documented with the technology that was available at
the time, and the audio is the ONLY sounds in hundreds that I have heard,that sound genuine to me tbh. Google it! Scary inhuman sounds & pics.
Acting is good, and I respect the fact that they were going for the 50/50 scenario half possession vs laws & courts etc... rather than trying to top the masterpiece known as The Exorcist which thousands have tried and failed. So good movie but a bit too practical to be memorable, but good acting and logic make it a single view.
September 23, 2017
When I watched it initially, as a teenager, I remembered enjoying it a bit more....first time watching since its release....not at all what I remembered
July 14, 2017
NOT a horror movie, but solid.
½ July 6, 2017
Despite of its long duration, this suspense movie is well-told with a disturbing performance from Carpenter.
April 29, 2017
Too much courtroom, not enough exorcism!
½ February 1, 2017
The film is a mix of court room drama and The Exorcist. It is intense and well executed. It has some stirring scenes, but does not fall into the category of cheap gore that many of the "exorcism" genre fall into. However, the chronicling of the exorcism of a young girl is not an original idea.
½ January 16, 2017
Man this movie had so much potential - and it didn't suck, but it just missed SO many marks. It has a good and serious enough story to keep you engaged, but then they throw in these loud, obnoxious jumpscares - why? Why not just make it eerie? Why startle your viewers when you are telling a serious story? And then there's the philosophical miss - the movie aims to draw the viewer back and forth between religion and science, but fails to do so by seemingly completely losing the aim of the trial to begin with (the trial outcome is not influenced by whether demons are real or not, it is entirely about whether Emily had a medical condition that could have been treated to prevent her death) - and then there's the lack of realism in general. This is based on a "true story" from late 60s early 70s Germany - a completely different setting. The story makes little to no sense in the day and age the movie set it in. The legalities are unrealistic (and in some cases untrue - why only sue the priest, not the parents? It made no sense, and in reality BOTH were sued). The verdict and sentence, though close to the "true story" the movie is based on, made sense in 70s Germany but NOT in 2000s America. Then there's the specific legal expectations in the trial that seem rather vague; is it even legal for parents and a priest to FORCE treatment and food onto someone who does not want medical help if she is an adult? If this were a child, absolutely. But Emily is an adult. Do these writers have a concept of how hard it is to have someone forcibly admitted against their will for mental illness in THIS day and age? This could have been such an interesting existential, eerie movie - but it turned into an unrealistic, unfocused startle-fest. Sure, watch it - but don't expect to be too impressed.
January 8, 2017
Good way to mix court and horror suspense
November 9, 2016
This holds a special place in my heart as one of the first horror movies I ever really loved. I was hesitant to revisit it, worried that my nostalgia would be tainted. Luckily, that wasn't the case. A well-acted & well-directed mixture of drama and horror, the courtroom setting is a welcome spin on the genre. The way it counters the possession scenes by showing what the court doctors and lawyers present as more likely keeps the affairs close to earth, while leaving plenty of room for spiritual possibilities.
September 14, 2016
Courtroom drama, with the possession told as the case. Some truly terrifying scenes, that made me scared when I went to bed.
½ August 7, 2016
Not to bad. With committed performances from Jennifer Carpenter and Laura Linney, as well as a few creepy moments, it's definitely worth a watch.
½ August 3, 2016
great under rated horror movie
July 25, 2016
A very good and scary movie, especially the second half of the film. Of all the films with exorcisms, this is, without a doubt, the second best one after "The Exorcist" (1973). The performances by everyone are pretty solid and it's good a thrilling and clever plot, in a way, it even feels like a documentary on what really happenned. Very entertaining and good. Recommended !!
July 2, 2016
Una de las mejores cosas que se puede decir de "Emily Rose" es que es un interesante acercamiento a una historia de terror, que además se basa en hechos reales. Es refrescante el tratamiento que se le da y el hecho de que a pesar de la aparición de elementos sobrenaturales estos son tratados desde la perspectiva de sus personajes, porque lo que la realidad de su existencia radica en la creencia de estos por partes de los personajes. ¿Existe el demonio de verdad? Quizás sólo en nuestra cabeza, pero lo importante no es si existe o no, sino lo que creemos que existe. He aquí el razonamiento de la película. Como poco, yo diría que refrescante...
½ June 12, 2016
No fue tan terrible como todo mundo dijo, sin embargo fue interesante ver el punto legal al que puede llevar un exorcismo.
½ June 11, 2016
Not a bad movie.. possession scenes are great and she does remind of Annaliese Michel pre and post possession.
May 23, 2016
If you like a good supernatural story this is for you, especially if you like stories based off true events.
May 13, 2016
The Exorcism of Emily Rose is a movie that's full of good ideas, and very compelling source material to work off of, but just can't capitalize on all of this. Based (loosely) on the story of Anneliese Michel, the movie is essentially two parts: the main half is a courtroom drama, while the latter half actually deals with the titular exorcism. This results in a story that is only sporadically compelling. The courtroom aspect has lots of potential, but falls into the trap of being a little too one-sided. The key to a courtroom drama is making sure that both sides are presented fairly and are valid to the viewer: unfortunately, writers Scott Derrickson (who also directs in his debut feature) and Paul Harris Boardman fail to deliver in that manner. The acting here is good, at least: Laura Linney, Tom Wilkinson, and Campbell Scott all do well, with Scott being the standout as a lawyer rooted in fact over faith. The other half, the exorcism, is much more compelling, but naturally doesn't have enough screentime. The scenes are quite suspenseful and horrifying, largely due to Jennifer Carpenter's performance as Emily Rose. Carpenter's performance is little more than scared hyperventilating, gruesome contorting, and screaming, but she does so in a chillingly realistic way. It's a shame that this one isn't great, because the story of Anneliese Michel (which the film strangely ignores in favor of making Emily's story seem to be the "true story" this is based on) is a haunting tale that poses some very thought-provoking questions about morality that this film lacks.