Eyes Wide Shut Reviews

• 9m ago

One of the best movies ever. Cruise and Kidman are both phenomenal. It is eerie, dark and gritty and held my attention all the way through. My favorite Kubrick movie.

• Sep 14, 2019

It is based on a novel in 1920s. I'd like to say Stanley Kubrick adapted it in a motion picture really great.

• Aug 24, 2019

Eyes Wide Shut needs second viewing for me, as upon first watch I find it just solid, and I respect it more than I truly love it. That's because it's a very long, overly puzzling movie which relies too much on style over substance. However, the symbolism is still great, especially the use of colors, the atmosphere is amazing, the mystery is intriguing and the score is particularly memorable. As a story, it relies too much on symbolism to really make an impact, but as a cinematic experience, it's an undeniable treat.

• Aug 16, 2019

Kubrick crafts a film that with no hesitation dives deep and explores topics such as women's sexuality, desire, sex, taboos and especially the way men have perceived women for way too long and how far off that perception is from reality. An in-depth character study of both men and women. "Don't you think one of the charms of marriage is that it makes deception a necessity for both parties?" Deception, one of the film's biggest factors and which was greatly depicted through showing how Cruise's character goes down a rabbit hole when he learns that his wife has as many human desires as him or any other person. All those timely topics are treated carefully and shown with such raw authenticity that is just hard to ignore. Giving audiences a message that they can't avoid and that will force them to face their own internal beliefs and contemplate whether they need to change or improve them. Stanley's Eyes Wide Shut seduces you into its world with its flirtatious atmosphere and gives a cinematic experience with beautiful production design, cinematography, and scenarios while combining them with its timely themes, an incredible soundtrack that intensifies every scene with another layer of emotion -regardless of which one that may be- and great performances from the majority of the cast -especially Nicole and Cruise-. It was always unpredictable and never what it seemed to be, keeping viewers more and more interested as the movie unfolded. Also, it can't help but feel like it aged like fine wine, and proving that it was way ahead of its time.

• Aug 09, 2019

What a shame that the brilliant career of Stanley Kubrick ended with the amateurish piece of tripe. Boring and self indulgent.

• Aug 06, 2019

Significantly scary and full of symbolism.

Significantly scary and full of symbolism.

• Jul 27, 2019

Kubrick has created one of the most horrifying and unsettling scenes in cinema, you know which scene I'm talking about...

• Jun 23, 2019

In addition to a strange yet powerful combination between Kubrick and Cruise, Tom Cruise is the center of the story as the lonely man who has wild fantasy. Cruise and Kidman presented both couples as charming yet sexy characters. The movie also ends with a simple word directly emphasized by Kidman herself. After Kidman said the word, the end credit appeared. "Eyes Wide Shut" is one of the conventional films from Stanley Kubrick and was a terrific thriller movie. Kubrick is a genius, even understanding his films takes time to be able to explore what he really wants to convey. This idealism became this film. This movie has a full of nude, sex, concise and artistic.

• Jun 16, 2019

Great movie, still a classic film

Great movie, still a classic film

Aldo G Super Reviewer
    May 28, 2019

It's a headscratcher. That's part of why it's a masterwork. Dream-like and filled with clues of deep meanings Stanley Kubrick's last film is a must-see. Multiple times. Keep digging for meaning. But, do it with eyes wide open.