Fame

—— Suburgatory: Season 3

Fame Reviews

Red L

February 2, 2008
I've always liked the song Fame. It took me 28 years to see the movie. I enjoyed the music and dancing. As a film I thought it was mediocre - too many draggy scenes.
hunterjt13
hunterjt13

January 15, 2011
"I celebrate the me yet to come."
Recognizing all its flaws, I unabashedly love Fame. I understand that the characters fall into stereotypes, and I think many of their stories never reach a cathartic or dramatic conclusion; this is especially true of Ralph and Leroy. Also, these are oh-so-clearly adults playing teens; it even seems written that way most of the time. However, Fame achieves a complexity found in few films and almost no musicals. How is it that - for me - this film worked as both a cautionary tale and an inspiration? How is it that I recognized so many people from the acting world in these loosely drawn characters?
Parker's direction and the rather spontaneous musical numbers embody the passion, ambition, dedication, triumphs, disappointments, and blindnesses that afflict these people. More to the point, I've known some artists whose talent amazed me, but yet you don't know them. You know talentless hacks, many of whom can't act dead. Each of these people recognizes that what most likely awaits them is a boulevard of broken dreams, spoiled ambitions, and a life counting their tips, hoping enough is there for rent, but each is also driven by an indomitable spirit. Fame's achievement is capturing all that on film, even to some degree into one fantastic scene toward the end (Irene Cara's nude scene - you'll know what I mean if you see the film).
Additionally, I enjoyed the peripherals: the stage mother, the broken home, the absent but financially generous parents. All of these exist in varying forms.
Overall, it takes some effort to see past this film's flaws, but once you do, you won't be disappointed with what lies at its core.
Spencer S

August 8, 2010
Wildly entertaining, contains vivid musical sequences, and has all the repressed teenage emotion and show business catastrophe involved in a performing arts high school, or even Hollywood in general. The title song was a winner, and the breakthrough actors, who dealt with such issues as poverty, ethnic prejudice, and homosexuality, are sadly less known then they should be. A teen survival tale like none other.
AJ V

September 6, 2010
If you're an arts student, or have been one at one point, you'll be able to relate to this movie like I did. It's a good drama for the most part, and the songs are great too, but the movie is split up into many different stories, which I found made it hard to watch. Today that style is more popular, but it gets on my nerves. If you like those kinds of stories, and love musicals, you'll like this movie.
MeetMeinMontauk
MeetMeinMontauk

August 30, 2010
I think I expected it to be more musically. But I would have honestly classified it more as a drama than a musical. Still, I liked the story and the ways that different kids had different problems. It's been done to death by now but it was still interesting to watch. And of course the fantastic teen performers, Barry Miller and Paul McCrane were my favorites, but Gene Anthony Ray was also fantastic and Lee Curreri was the cutest kid in the whole thing.
I think now this would have worked better as a TV show series, to expand on all the stories, oh wait, that's called Glee. Still, expected more songs, but still entertaining and hard to watch at times.
Leigh R

May 5, 2010
LOVED IT!!! Fabulously done and entertaining and the music was superb.
Nicki M

January 20, 2008
I'm sure I saw this many years ago, but I really couldn't remember it. I am not sure I would have enjoyed it so much had it not been an 80's film (just!). As it was, I found it quite nostalgic viewing and I liked all the little stories about these performing arts students. The main fault is that some of the stories were not fully explored, but I guess maybe that happened in the tv series (I do not remember that and am unsure if the movie was made with intent to spin it into a series - I'm old, but not that old, lol. I was actually pretty young at this movies release).
The characters of Doris and Coco were the highlight. I can remember my mum playing Irene Cara when I was little, somehow did not make the connection between her and this movie. LOL. She really did have a lovely voice, although I'm sure I'm totally ruining my credibility (like I had any!), by admitting that.
This was a fun movie to watch, although I am cringing at the thought of seeing the remake, and may be avoiding that one.
Mark H

July 3, 2008
Ambitious musical drama follows a group of students through their four years at the New York High School of Performing Arts, as they take music, theater and dance. Raw and profane, this bears little resemblance to the hit TV series that followed. Nevertheless, this is a heartfelt and emotionally involving slice of life. Rarely has a film so beautifully shown how people of diverse backgrounds can come together and get along in an effort to be the best. But Christopher Gore's Oscar nominated script isn't cloying or saccharine. This is gritty stuff and he's masterful in juggling multiple characters and storylines. Their lives feel authentic and sincere. A brilliant ensemble film.
movieguru12
movieguru12

May 8, 2008
This movie is the greatest movie about young kids turning into adults,and following their dreams to sing,dance,and act. A GREAT DANCE MOVIE!!! I love it! :) Just great! Love,love, love it! :)
Sophie B

December 15, 2009
I liked the main idea for this film however it seemed to drag and parts were very unconnected it made it difficult to follow. It had some really good themes and messages however some of the good stories never really took hold (pregnancy, being abused by a man) which could have been really good had it been explored in more depth. Very abrupt and unfinished end.
ScoopOnline
ScoopOnline

December 14, 2009
If they've really got what it takes, it's going to take everything they've got.
Carlos M

November 5, 2009
A delightful, absorbing story with a great deal of characters we learn to care about, and it is told with much fluidness in loosely organized fragments and never loses pace thanks to the great editing.
Anthony L

October 12, 2009
Fame is an odd film. It's a four year montage of the most hateful people on earth, young performers. It was the coolest thing before puberty but now nearly 30 years on, I'm not sure why? 80?s fun I guess but not great, that said, the new remake feels me with absolute dread! The original TV series was so much better. I would have a little dance on my car but it's brand new so I won?t.
deano
deano

December 29, 2008
Wonderfully college of the Performing Arts drama movie where the growing-up students process of honing talents, confronting realities, finding love, living life. Genuine treasure, moving and entertaining.
thmtsang
thmtsang

August 10, 2007
I loved the TV series. Excellent music and dancing. Sad in parts.
garyX
garyX

March 31, 2007
The trials and tribulations of a bunch of stereotypes in leotards and legwarmers. Erm...no thanks.
Naughtia
Naughtia

May 15, 2010
I only watched this movie because I wanted to see it before I'm going to watch the new version. 'Fame' is from the early eighties and one can clearly see and hear the stereotypical eighties' fashion style and music style. This gives me a somewhat nostalgic feeling of that period. The movie follows some students as they strive to become succesful performing artists. They all go to school in New York and they all have so many hopes for their future. You really get to feel the eighties' spirit when you watch this movie and the movie has probably been spectacular at the time it premiered but I think that the eighties are very weird and entertaining. This movie is a classic of its time and I'm now looking forward to seeing the new up-to-date version of this same story.
Juli R

September 26, 2010
When I was was growing up in the 80s, I wanted to go to the NYC High School for the Performing Arts that is depicted in this movie. Fame is all about New York City. It is grimy and bittersweet and big-city. It is a thousand miles away from the quiet traditions of my high school in the Midwest.
John2223
John2223

October 23, 2007
Little character development and boring in most parts. It is not perfect, but I wouldn't call it bad at all. it's just it could had been a lot better.
Sunil J

December 16, 2009
Just watched this for the first time and I really liked it. It was like a more active version of A Chorus Line. The dancing was good and the characters were pretty well fleshed out.