Fargo - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Fargo Reviews

October 24, 2016
This is a great piece of writing, great piece of acting, and a great piece of directing - but best of all, it's surprising.

This is a very grim subject put in to a very light hearted place (at least light hearted in the minds of the American Public). And you have everyone being a dunce that you would expect to be a dunce except for the one person that you would think would be the biggest dunce. Francis McDormand's character is surprising capable and intelligent whilst retaining some of that Minnesotan non-confrontational attitude. But if you need an example of femanism and breaking stereotypes - it resides in this character.

Beyond the cool character - the film is fun, it is funny, it is serious a bit, and it is a good watch.
½ October 23, 2016
It is no Big Lebowski, but Fargo has very funny and very violent parts that really impress.
October 13, 2016
Steve Buscemi gets an A
October 4, 2016
Mesmerizingly, brilliant movie in all departments. This will resonate many years to come.
October 3, 2016
Fantastic performance from McDormand and certainly a fantastic film as well!
September 28, 2016
I was interested to see how good this "classic" was suppose to be... but after i watched it i actually cant believe this movie is a coen brothers classic. I didn't like this movie and i can sum it up in one word..... YAASSSSS
½ September 21, 2016
A unique thriller, as only the Coen bros could create. While the accents are laid on a little too thick, the film still delivers some interesting characters that make the film's quirky plot memorable.
September 14, 2016
One of my favorite crime movies of all time! Directed by the Cohen brothers and cinematography by Roger Deakins.
September 10, 2016
Maybe I approached this in the wrong mindset but I didn't enjoy this movie as much as I usually enjoy a Coen brothers flick. Felt fairly plain to me. Maybe I need a rewatch.
½ September 10, 2016
Why would Jerry Lundegaard's wife be kidnapped, & her father, getting shot? And, why would Jerry Lundegaard get arrested in his motel room at the end?
September 7, 2016
The most idiotic movie I have ever seen......
September 2, 2016
With a complex original story and several excellent performances on display, the Coen brothers created their best film with brilliant dialogue and unexpected comedic moments, all converged to become a meaningful, and often times darkly beautiful, cinematic masterpiece.
August 28, 2016
Well-made creative movie-cum-social commentary in the full Cohen Bros tradition, but very violent. I personally prefer their less bloody comedic fare (e.g. The Big Lebowski). Never has been clear to me why this is/was more highly regarded/better reviewed -- except for the obvious: Americans in general prefer graphic violence to even a whiff of light-hearted sex.
August 18, 2016
Fargo is a gift of great directing by the Coen Brothers, with subtle but amazing editing, stunning visual narrative through its snowy landscapes but most of all a whimsical script that made the actors shine with funny and quirky dialogs and visceral violence that somehow always end up in a Coen's film without ever feeling cheap or overused.
August 14, 2016
The Coen brothers craft a fun and interesting kidnap story. Buscemi and Macy carry the movie with a back and forth power struggle between the two.
August 10, 2016
Simple, raunchy, terrifying look at humanity in the Midwest. The simplicity and one-mindedness of cruelty and desperation.
August 9, 2016
quirky and funny one moment. dark, brutal and violent the next. This movie to me is the perfect crime story. No matter how many times I watch it I am glued to the screen everytime its on. Absolutely brilliant performances from everyone involved especially Frances McDormand and William h Macy. To me this is the Coan brothers best movie in a very long list of impressive movies. Definitely a must for any film lover.
August 7, 2016
While Frances McDormand's performance is genuinely flawless, Fargo tries to go in the same vein as "SE7EN" and "Silence of the Lambs" and it fails horribly.
July 29, 2016
Reviewed 2015- Great performance by McDormand. Other than that, I guess it doesn't "hold up". A simple ransom story, no twist as stated in the synopsis. Mostly bland (I guess like Minnesota) if not for Steve Bushemi. Disappointed overall, after so much hype and great reviews from everyone.
July 27, 2016
He can't stop lying to save his life.