Fargo - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Fargo Reviews

May 11, 2018
I can't believe it's been over twenty years since I first watched it. Holds up surprisingly well. I highly recommend the tv series.
May 7, 2018
An originally done movie that is part drama and part comedy, it failed to live up to my lofty expectations for it.
½ April 19, 2018
frances mcdormand and william h. macy star in this thriller-comedy. violent and plucky screenplay ensures this as one of the quirkiest oscar best picture winners. buscemi's and stormare's characters are the most interesting, as a pair of criminals hired by macy's conman to kidnap his wife. the plot is average, but it doesn't matter because the four characters are so memorable.
April 18, 2018
Hands down one of my favorite movies of all time
½ April 15, 2018
All of the acting is great, and it's nice to see a normal healthy relationship between the cop and her husband, especially in contrast to the craziness she is dealing with, In fact, her personality alone is in stark contrast to what she is dealing with and it makes for a great movie. McDormand is able to appear kind while also simultaneously appearing very clever and skilled within her job. The film itself is a fable, which makes one feel lied to once you find out since it is pushed as based on a true story. Other than this, the fable is solid in showing the consequences of dishonesty and hubris.
April 9, 2018
A weird, off-beat, absurd tale.

A stupid string of events, loony characters with a funny accent, and a somewhat sad and pathetic conclusion.

I didn't feel much during this movie, I was mostly weirdly entertained by the bizarrely humorous dialog in certain scenes, and mostly trying to make sense of the sad little mess Jerry set in motion.

While very deliberate and curious, the acting and the story didn't really do it for me (the music too). Not sure I'm impressed by it all. I feel very ambivalent towards this entire ordeal. I can definitely see the cult-ish charm this movie emanates. Unfortunately it didn't particularly appeal to me.

I guess that's Fargo, huh. At least Frances McDormand did a great job. Loved her and Macey the most.
April 7, 2018
I love that movie. The story keeps you interested and the characters are wonderful.
½ March 29, 2018
This is a very good, darkly comic film. Its maybe a bit too short and rushed at the end, but then most Cohen films are that way. It has two great performances, by Steve Buscemi and Frances McDormand. The rest of the cast are good, but not quite as up to the standard. Follwing a vagurly sinister beginning, the plot gets way and it is a crazy one, crazy like Raising Arizona and the Big Lebowski. What follows is violence (one scene involving a woodchipper), the odd moment of humour, and a whole lot of whacky scenes, making for an entertaining film.
March 29, 2018
Genuis of the Cohen's.
March 5, 2018
Awesome movie in just about every way. Great, breakthrough acting performances by McDormand, Macy, Buscemi and Stormare opened the door for big career moves for all of them. This is one of those rare times where I agree with the Academy on all the Oscar nominations for this movie - Fargo deserved the recognition.
½ February 25, 2018
I love this quirky black comedy. Funny and entertaining.
February 24, 2018
1001 movies to see before you die.
½ February 24, 2018
It's really something to be able to make so successful a black comedy out of such a cruel event. A perfect combination of the different genres included.
February 19, 2018
Dark and intriguing, but not very funny as the critics would have you believe.
January 24, 2018
***LAUGHED AT ITS ECCENTRICITY, YET FELT ODDLY SHAMEFUL AND QUEEZY BY FILM'S END***
½ January 14, 2018
4.5/5. An excellent movie that reminds me a lot of home. The performances are excellent and it spawned an equally excellent TV show. What's not to love?
½ January 13, 2018
it was a mixup, i guess

Fargo

The resemblance towards the reality is the greatest strength of Fargo since it questions the sarcasm, logic and perspective about individual characters that can only be written by observing the surrounding.
December 29, 2017
Joel and Ethan Coen, a dynamic duo in directing and producing, and Fargo only reinforces that idea of excellence. Fargo further enforces this because of its phenomonal casting and storyline.
December 26, 2017