Fargo - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Fargo Reviews

July 21, 2016
McDormand is truly the heart and soul of Fargo, and she delivers her role as an officer of the law with pride. Violent, sinister, and relevant to timely matters, Fargo earns its place as one of the best things cinema has ever produced.
July 20, 2016
i love this film the perfect amount of humour and thrills and a phenomenal cast one of the Coen brothers finest films.
July 16, 2016
holds up really well
½ July 7, 2016
Strange (but not as strange as its reputation suggests) with some sparse humor, this solid crime thriller sports a story that keeps your attention but isn't anything particularly special, don't cha know?
½ July 2, 2016
A quirky, restrained drama with a very dark sense of humor is what the Coen brothers are famous for. For all its cheery characters and seemingly ordinary exterior, there is a distinct heart of darkness and this is a quick, memorable outing for sure. Thanks to Francis McDormand's winning performance, I never thought a pregnant, optimistic cop lady would kick-ass without lifting a finger! Kudos to William H. Macy and Steve "Freaking" Buscemi as well!
July 1, 2016
What an amazing film! The acting, down to the accents, is incredible. Quirky and funny, but also dark and a bit shocking in its subject matter. Great cast, great script! Could watch this many times.
June 24, 2016
Very odd atmosphere,.. but an outstanding movie.
½ June 20, 2016
Filme curioso...meio que dá pra dar risada, achar triste...tenso...bizarro...no fim das contas é um filme bom demais! Tem uns atores que dão um show.
½ June 10, 2016
Good fun intriguing story.
May 19, 2016
The ordinariness of the characters in this film are so carefully crafted, and if the scenes are carefully analysed in the light of all the information, the characters are really not simple and black/white as they seem. The Coen Brothers, being brought up in Minnesota, critique the Minnesota Nice nature - people with their plain and warm exterior with folksy speaking style, but not so empathetic or well-wishing from within; the characters are as cold and distant as the letters of the film title because the characters are as emotionally isolated as story's vast empty landscape. The accent and snow, the white and distant environment, all these things accentuate the feel of the living conditions and community of northern US. I can't testify to the accuracy of the time and place, but the Coens surely give us an intriguing character study.

The film takes quite a few witty jabs at capitalism and consumerism; it explores people's (here, especially Americans') obsession with fast food, television and cars. The realistic dialogues and quirkiness do make the characters stand out, like all Coen Brothers films. Many might say Marge Gunderson is the only character with good morals, but she isn't as pure as she seems. Marge, though an interesting character who defies prescribed gender roles and becomes our lead protagonist (though she enters only after one-third the film), she is as emotionally distant as the rest, as evidenced from her murder-scene inspection and ending ride with one of the kidnappers. Her routine life and by-the-book procedure, combined with her husband's not-so-sophisticated paintings about ducks and the decor of their house, exemplify the fact how they are a regular couple in a consumerist web so blissfully content in their simplicity and mediocrity.

Expectation vs what's given to us. From the opening title where it says that this is based on a true story and events are shown as it occurred, a certain expectation is set. The Coens take advantage of this liberty and tell the story in the most unusual but interesting way. But they subvert these expectations by slowly inserting scenes that people couldn't have known (if the events are being shown as they occurred). But this helps us understand the characters much better. (We now know that almost the entire thing is fictional, other than, maybe, the murder that inspired them.) The Coens do this throughout the film. Two other good examples come from the scene where Marge meets her Asian friend from college. Compared to the ways Asians are traditionally portrayed in films, Mike really stood out - not at all a clichéd, accented Asian guy, but an emotionally unstable lonely guy who still stays with his parents in his 30s. And the story he tells Marge about his life, we immediately lap it all up, just like Marge does, not realising that the story had the exact plot details from 'Love Story'. The Coens surely take other such jabs at American pop culture. It's not what you expect from a true-story-based crime thriller. It's not what you expect from a comedy. Coen Brother films never usually fit into a single genre, and the unusual blend of crime and humour makes the film stand out.

And without Roger Deakins, the film wouldn't look the way it does. That parking lot scene has been praised and analysed to death by now. And yes, it's a spectacular shot and has so much to say. The acting from everyone in the cast is terrific, especially Steve Buscemi, Frances McDormand and William H. Macy. Macy gives us such a unique and memorably loathsome character - an apathetic, selfish and cowardly hypocrite, always maintaining such a cheery facade. But he represents the frustrations felt by the pawns in the capitalist system, rarely able to earn or save much to be financially or emotionally satisfied. Hence, his various schemes to collect enough money, run away and start a new comfortable life.

Though just a little less than 100 minutes, the film has been assembled with such attention to detail and innovation that it can be analysed and understood in so many different ways. It's not something that seems so great in the first view itself, but the more you see it or think about it, the more it lingers in your mind. Clever to end the film with the words "Two more months", since we know it might be a reference to the end of winter when the snow might melt and reveal the suitcase to a passerby.
May 19, 2016
Fargo is a classic Coen Brothers movie and more.
May 18, 2016
A serious candidate for the Coens's best film. The real stroke of genius here is adding Marge as the audience surrogate and moral center of the film. There's a lot of films that deal with the stupidity of criminals (although not as spectacularly as here ... Jerry never seems to have anything approaching a coherent plan), but very few have a character as fundamentally decent and likable as Marge at their center. It allows them to pull of the wonderful trick of having a deeply depressing conclusion of their narrative that seems somewhat uplifting by giving Marge the final say.
May 16, 2016
You know that Fargo is a great movie, because unlike most other recognized films of this era, it's still a hoot to watch twenty years later. I saw this when it was first released, but remembered nothing except Steve Buscemi and snow. An smart unpredictable dark comedy crime-caper was rare mix to find back in the late nineties; and even today, very few quality pictures like this are made. Both Buscemi and William H Macy deliver stellar hysterical performances that couldn't be duplicated if a sequel or remake was ever attempted.
½ May 8, 2016
Great gritty and somewhat grotesque comedy-thriller
½ May 8, 2016
A brilliant little dark comedy that I'm ashamed took me this long to get around to watching. McDormand and Buscemi are brilliant.
May 6, 2016
One of the Coen Brothers' best films. Dark, funny, superbly written, and well-acted, Fargo boasts an incredible amount of spunk an aptitude, given it's rather dorky setting.
April 29, 2016
A suspenseful and insightful darkly comic crime-noir, not unlike their debut 'Blood Simple', though quite a bit better. 'Fargo' is yet another triumph for Joel and Ethan, as well as my all-time favorite film. It's charming, unpredictable, shocking, and undeniably brilliant.
April 26, 2016
I'm sorry it took me nearly 20 years to get around to watching this. It's a nearly-perfectly-crafted film, and it has held up well over a couple of decades. It's one of those movies where ever scene, character, line, and shot just works.
April 21, 2016
Still my favorite movie.
April 19, 2016
A simple yet intruging story. Very well written.