Fargo - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Fargo Reviews

January 15, 2017
If you've been living under a rock and missed this ,I don't have to convince you. Just see it period. A masterpiece
January 12, 2017
It's funny, it's exciting, it's simply great. I'm only watching Fargo now nearly twenty years later and I was surprised it was enjoyable after all these years.
January 4, 2017
The Coen Brothers are two very talented individuals when it comes to the ability of storytelling, across a variety of genres, characters and locations, yet each time they seem to be able to pull off the seemingly impossible by crafting a new original piece out of nothing. Whilst I do enjoy other Coen films over 'Fargo', it is nonetheless a riveting and hilarious black comedy that features stellar performances from the likes of William H. Macy and Steve Buscemi, as well as the fantastically quirky Frances McDormand whose awkward performance garnered her an Oscar.

With a story that delves into a blend of humour, violence and thrills, the black comedy elements of 'Fargo' make it both a bitter and comedic edge-of-seat thriller with Marge Gunderson's "Oh ya betcha" becoming a highlight over the course of the running time. 'Fargo' is undeniably a fantastic black comedy and one of the Coen Brothers's finest efforts.
½ December 31, 2016
Un vendedor de automóviles ha estado metiendo la pata en su oficio por ineptitud, ha tenido que poner de su bolsillo, ha intentado recuperar estafando a sus clientes y ahora necesita un cojonal de plata para salir del enredo. Interpretado por este actor que siempre interpreta fracasados, es angustiosa su falta de carácter, su impotencia ante lo que enfrenta. En una ocasión se lo muestra a través de los barrotes en su ventana, como en prisión. Los asesinatos cometidos por quienes secuestraron a su esposa son investigados por una oficial embarazada. La constante exposición a los escenarios del crimen la ha inmunizado contra los sentimientos febriles, lo que le permite disfrutar de las virtudes que ofrece una vida rústica. Ser uno más de los pueblerinos de cuya simplicidad que raya en el aburrimiento es ella consciente, y a los que la película satiriza. 8.5/10
½ December 28, 2016
The ordinariness of the characters in this film are so carefully crafted, and if the scenes are carefully analysed in the light of all the information, the characters are really not simple and black/white as they seem. The Coen Brothers, being brought up in Minnesota, critique the Minnesota Nice nature - people with their plain and warm exterior with folksy speaking style, but not so empathetic or well-wishing from within; the characters are as cold and distant as the letters of the film title because the characters are as emotionally isolated as story's vast empty landscape. The accent and snow, the white and distant environment, all these things accentuate the feel of the living conditions and community of northern US. I can't testify to the accuracy of the time and place, but the Coens surely give us an intriguing character study.

The film takes quite a few witty jabs at capitalism and consumerism; it explores people's (here, especially Americans') obsession with fast food, television and cars. The realistic dialogues and quirkiness do make the characters stand out, like all Coen Brothers films. Many might say Marge Gunderson is the only character with good morals, but she isn't as pure as she seems. Marge, though an interesting character who defies prescribed gender roles and becomes our lead protagonist (though she enters only after one-third the film), she is as emotionally distant as the rest, as evidenced from her murder-scene inspection and ending ride with one of the kidnappers. Her routine life and by-the-book procedure, combined with her husband's not-so-sophisticated paintings about ducks and the decor of their house, exemplify the fact how they are a regular couple in a consumerist web so blissfully content in their simplicity and mediocrity.

Expectation vs what's given to us. From the opening title where it says that this is based on a true story and events are shown as it occurred, a certain expectation is set. The Coens take advantage of this liberty and tell the story in the most unusual but interesting way. But they subvert these expectations by slowly inserting scenes that people couldn't have known (if the events are being shown as they occurred). But this helps us understand the characters much better. (We now know that almost the entire thing is fictional, other than, maybe, the murder that inspired them.) The Coens do this throughout the film. Two other good examples come from the scene where Marge meets her Asian friend from college. Compared to the ways Asians are traditionally portrayed in films, Mike really stood out - not at all a clichéd, accented Asian guy, but an emotionally unstable lonely guy who still stays with his parents in his 30s. And the story he tells Marge about his life, we immediately lap it all up, just like Marge does, not realising that the story had the exact plot details from 'Love Story'. The Coens surely take other such jabs at American pop culture. It's not what you expect from a true-story-based crime thriller. It's not what you expect from a comedy. Coen Brother films never usually fit into a single genre, and the unusual blend of crime and humour makes the film stand out.

And without Roger Deakins, the film wouldn't look the way it does. That parking lot scene has been praised and analysed to death by now. And yes, it's a spectacular shot and has so much to say. The acting from everyone in the cast is terrific, especially Steve Buscemi, Frances McDormand and William H. Macy. Macy gives us such a unique and memorably loathsome character - an apathetic, selfish and cowardly hypocrite, always maintaining such a cheery facade. But he represents the frustrations felt by the pawns in the capitalist system, rarely able to earn or save much to be financially or emotionally satisfied. Hence, his various schemes to collect enough money, run away and start a new comfortable life.

Though just a little less than 100 minutes, the film has been assembled with such attention to detail and innovation that it can be analysed and understood in so many different ways. It's not something that seems so great in the first view itself, but the more you see it or think about it, the more it lingers in your mind. Clever to end the film with the words "Two more months", since we know it might be a reference to the end of winter when the snow might melt and reveal the suitcase to a passerby.
December 27, 2016
The Coen Brothers are wizards at using complex plots to explore human frailties. The tone of their best films is uniquely deadpan and surprising. Here, car salesman William H. Macy realises too late that extortion and greed will never secure him the simple happy life investigating cop Frances McDormand enjoys. Wonderful performances, characteristically fine Roger Deakins photography, and a wistful and melancholy score by Carter Burwell.
December 27, 2016
I can't turn this off every single time it airs on Showtime. What a weird and wonderful movie.
December 20, 2016
Quite possibly deserving 5 stars, this is certainly my favorite from the extraordinarily talented Coen brothers. The seamless parallel of humor, commentary, and dark thrills is unequaled.
December 13, 2016
It somehow gets better every time I watch it. One of my Top 30 all time favorites.
½ December 12, 2016
The Coen brothers have a magical touch for mixing humor into dark themes. It's gripping from beginning to end, and Frances McDormand turns in an Oscar-winning performance for her folksy role as chief detective, Marge Gunderson.
December 8, 2016
When I first watched Fargo, I didn't really care about it and just took it a bit seriously as I thought at the time that it was a drama crime movie. I even watched the TV series and I couldn't get sucked in to the show. Then I got even more used to dark comedies and I got a bit older to appreciate more films that I thought were not good, and Fargo is one of the examples. It's enjoyably quirky that I got laughs out of the dark and dry humor. The characters are really good, and the plot is actually pretty original. Frances McDormand, William H. Macy, Steve Buscemi, and Peter Stormore, are just terrific. The writing by the Coen Brothers is well-written, and the direction is pretty good. Fargo is a terrific movie that I can see how this made the Coen Brothers well-known.
December 2, 2016
Fargo is intensely original and the screenwriting is fantastic, but the black comedy is not for everyone and a woodchipper being used to pulverize someone is not funny.
November 29, 2016
funny, good, typical coen movie.
½ November 28, 2016
I personally find the show much superior to this oddly entertaining but insignificant (and brutal) comedy of errors.
November 18, 2016
Ótimo suspense com o humor negro típico dos irmãos Coen
½ November 15, 2016
Fargo is a near perfect Coen Brother's film. It has the witty banter, the perfect balance of character development and action, and a climax exceeding expectations. It is one of those few films that stand the test of time, and can entertain from beginning to end. It's dark, satirical, quirky, and fundamentally a unique flavour, catering to all aspects desired.
October 31, 2016
Rarely do violence and comedy/satire go well together. This film is not the exception.
October 31, 2016
Loved this movie from end to end. Loved the cold expansive shots, the folksiness, the cast, the humour and script. It has a remarkably classic, enduring quality to it; I'm convinced it'll still be a phenomenal film to watch 50 years from now.
October 24, 2016
This is a great piece of writing, great piece of acting, and a great piece of directing - but best of all, it's surprising.

This is a very grim subject put in to a very light hearted place (at least light hearted in the minds of the American Public). And you have everyone being a dunce that you would expect to be a dunce except for the one person that you would think would be the biggest dunce. Francis McDormand's character is surprising capable and intelligent whilst retaining some of that Minnesotan non-confrontational attitude. But if you need an example of femanism and breaking stereotypes - it resides in this character.

Beyond the cool character - the film is fun, it is funny, it is serious a bit, and it is a good watch.
½ October 23, 2016
It is no Big Lebowski, but Fargo has very funny and very violent parts that really impress.