Fargo - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Fargo Reviews

½ October 5, 2017
Fargo is an immersive experience all the way to the resolution. Though it's final act is incredibly disturbing, a lot of the dark-humoured jokes were quite funny. Steve Buscemi gives a great performance as well as the others of the cast. When I finished the film, it only felt as if an hour passed as I loved watching. Highly recommended (even though tons of people have already seen it since its 1996 release).
October 3, 2017
10 out of 10:

Smart, brutal, gritty, and great performances make Fargo an unforgettable experience.
September 26, 2017
Obviously few agree, but I have to be frank in my opinion. This is an annoying, unenlightened film that gets it's laughs from further annoying character querks and supposed depth that never hits as deep as the film seems to think it does. To me, McDormand's central performance was in face an annoying pantomime that neither seemed like a real person nor a relatable exaggeration. I try to understand the love that exists for this film, but in my honest opinion, this was a boring slog with no pay off. A shallow waste of time with greater goals.
½ September 19, 2017
Quirky, fun, well done film
August 20, 2017
A classic. Still my favorite Coen Brothers flick. It's just so masterfully crafted. So human, so funny, so dark. Love it.
August 18, 2017
This Is My Favorite Coen Brothers Film Of All Time.
½ July 20, 2017
Fargo fills your head with questions. Fargo is incredibly absorbing and manages to maintain an engaging, measured pace throughout. The mystery never becomes entirely predictable. Well directed and performed, there's something intriguing and off-beat about Fargo. The character of Marge Gunderson is a fantastic heroine. The grittiness & irony needed for a dark comedy is there, the homespun characters are all likeable; it's difficult to nitpick a film like Fargo. A few of Fargo's sub-plots and minor characters became a little lost, but these don't detract from Fargo's storytelling.
July 18, 2017
Oh, yah it is, ya betcha.
There's more ta life than a little money, ya know? Doncha know? And here ya are. And it's a beautiful day.
½ July 18, 2017
Ok coen brothers crime movie starring William h Macy and Steve bucemi. I didn't feel any emotions or care for any of the characters. The only reason I watched this movie is because of the tv show. I heard that it's the best tv show in a while. I wasn't shocked at all, I was bored , I don't think that this movie deserves a 94 percent on rotten tomatoes.
July 17, 2017
A perfect depiction of the double meaning of "Minnesota Nice." Margie's simple charm leveled out the otherwise dark and chaotic fiasco.
June 29, 2017
Altro capolavoro inestimabile sfornato dalla famosissima coppia di registi statunitensi. La storia vera che viene raccontata Ť solo che un pretesto per esplorare la profonditŗ dell'animo umano, in una doppia visione che si divide tra il bene e il male con tutto un altro sapore rispetto ai canoni convenzionali del cinema. Non mancano di certo il sarcasmo e l'ironia, che rendono il film molto piý fruibile e leggero, grazie anche ai dialoghi realistici e curati. Il finale melanconico chiude una delle migliori opere dei Coen, una di quelle che lascia il segno.
½ June 28, 2017
A classic movie, it took me a while to watch it but it's really good.
June 27, 2017
I can't get over the characters of Fargo... So wonderfully dynamic. Not to mention to the smart direction by the Coen brothers.
June 1, 2017
Intriguing enough for a true story especially. Even if this wasn't a true story at all, it's still a good thriller on it's own.
May 30, 2017
Perhaps the best known Cohen film. I love the snow filled settings.
May 22, 2017
Fargo is one of the greatest movies I have ever seen in my life. Watch it, it's on Netflix
May 17, 2017
Grade - A-
Although not quite as good as the TV series it inspired, the original 'Fargo' is still a very good film in its own right. Fantastic performances and an excellent premise elevate it to more than your average mystery thriller.
½ May 10, 2017
Who knew such a gory turn of abduction gone awry could be intertwined with slick dark comedy without pulling focus from the core screenplay; which would later go grab the Oscar along with Frances McDormand minus a snubbed Macy. Set in the snowy North Dakota, this kidnapping foiled saga makes you go from angry reacts to Lol reacts constantly. Does this make you ponder if the TV series with the same name is as scintillating as the movie? Well, there is only one way to find out! 4.5 stars is my rating.
May 3, 2017
A deft masterstroke blend of crime gone horribly wrong and pitch black comedy. I have seen this movie five times in the last two years and I gotta say, this is a movie that will never get old for me; it‚?s one of only five movies I can watch at any time, regardless of mood. Nobody does thrillers quite like the Coen brothers; they feel gritty, realistic and like they could actually happen, and that‚?s not just because it is ‚?based on true story‚?. Fargo centers on Jerry Lundegaard (William H. Macy), who hires two criminals to stage a kidnapping of his wife so as to extort money from his father-in-law. An ill-conceived plan, perhaps, but incomparable when placed next to the results of said plan, as it quickly goes from bad to worse. There are so many reasons why I am in love with this movie. For one, such attention is paid to even the smallest detail, from the Northern accents that give this movie a very unique feel, to the way paper napkins stick to an exit wound on the flesh of the face. The acting is all there and first-rate, too; so much rich characterization is given through some of the smallest actions. It‚?s an intricately made, well-crafted thriller that truly does get better with every subsequent viewing. Reminds me of everything I love about the movies.
April 29, 2017
A quotable, darkly funny, and excellent thriller that, while not as good as Blood Simple or The Big Lebowski, will certainly outlive anything the Coen's will ever make nowadays.