Fat Kid Rules the World - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Fat Kid Rules the World Reviews

½ January 31, 2016
I just kept wanting for him to stop eating.
November 12, 2015
The guy that the synopsis called "charming" I find unbearably annoying. Just the way the character is written. Not badly written, just gets on my nerves personally.
September 8, 2015
It is a great little film until the last 15-20 minutes where things are wrapped up in a story book way similar to the visions that the main character has. If they had stuck with a wee bit more realism, this would have been something.
½ September 7, 2015
Funny, heartful, inventive at times.
September 4, 2015
Who the hell thought Matthew Lillard of all people could direct a damn good movie? I was very iffy on this film for about the first 30 minutes, it felt quite clear that an inexperienced filmmaker was behind the camera, but as the film progressed I found myself becoming more and more absorbed by the story and Lillard's skills really seemed to flourish as the film progressed. The overall story is something we've seen before but the little differences along the way somehow make it a nice change of pace. Like the kid who helps the title character in reality much worse off then him. Fat Kid's father wonderfully played by underrated Billy Campbell is an ex-marine that doesn't fall into the overbearing hard ass mean to be mean role. What makes this film work is its lead performance from Jacob Wysocki. He gives a great performance that is both fearless and funny, Wysocki really isn't afraid to mock himself which is very admirable. Lillard is obviously really passionate about the source material and it shows which makes me curious about his future endeavors.
August 6, 2015
Matthew Lillard's film succeeds far better than I had anticipated. Much of this film's success is rooted in the performances of Jacob Wysocki, Matt O'Leary and Billy Campbell. In some ways if seems like the movie should be predictable, but it constantly seems to surprise. Wysocki is particularly impressive. How a 30-something man can getaway with playing a teenager is amazing. He does. As does Matt O'Leary -- they both seem and appear to be children on the verge of adulthood.
July 5, 2015
pretty good movie about friendship and all that coming of age stuff
February 22, 2015
I really did like this movie and LOVED the two boys .....there were numerous times when I caught myself grinning ear to ear. :)
January 6, 2015
This was pretty good. I have to give indie movies credit where it is due. This had a reasonably good story and I enjoyed how it progressed. I really liked the personal growth of the main character. A couple reviewers mentioned that they were put off by the ending, but I thought their objection to it was overblown. The ending was not a monumental let down, even though I think it could have been wrapped up a little bit better. Nonetheless, this wound up being worth my time. I don't quite think I'd watch it again, but I can still tell people that I find it worth watching once. So enjoy.
November 5, 2014
What this film lacks in story structure and pacing, it more than makes up for in its characters. Reminds me of my high school days a bit.
An overweight kid becomes friends with a dropout drug user and becomes his drummer.

The character I was most surprised by was the father, at first you think he's going to be an 80's villain and constantly rag on whatever the kids are into, but that is not the case. He loves his kids to death no matter how many mistakes they make. He even goes out of his way to help the drug user. Reminds me of my dad actually.

It will make you laugh and cry. Either way, you'll fall in love with the fat kid.

I only wish the film showed us the actual performance at the end.
Some more music would have been nice.

Other than that check it out.
½ September 21, 2014
Den var fin selv om den kanskje var litt "billig" lagd. Syntes forÝvrig at han kompisen var en dust.
June 19, 2014
Matthew Lillard failed to develop a single likeable character. Both leads failed to earn my sympathy despite pathetic stories. The real problem was that there was no direction for the film, and the plot seemed to move in random direction, and despite being only 94 minutes, it felt like I was sitting through a marathon of poor acting, shoddy directing, and ill-advised writing. A poor attempt at a coming of age film.
June 9, 2014
Tons of heart and in places unexpected. This film excels at building on the real struggles of an incredibly diverse cast. Everyone grows and the film builds into something really special.
½ May 11, 2014
theres nothing much to be said about the movie, except that it brings out the the smiles in the most expected ways. it tells you a story about a fat uncool kid who is bolstered into coolness by an outside force. pretty run of the mill right? right. understandably thats what the filmmakers were going for and thats exactly what you got. but nowhere in the film you thought the feel-good-ness doesnt make sense. i mean he doesnt get the girl and he doesnt run 500 miles to lose weight. IT IS a success story which makes movie-sense.
½ April 5, 2014
Another Indie"feel good" flick. Terri makes a junkie musician friend. I'm glad they made the dad a nice guy. Directed by actor Matthew Lilliard. See TERRI if you haven't.
March 6, 2014
Really enjoyed this movie! Rock has always been my favorite type of music but ever since I was 14 I have loved punk rock and this movie captures the spirit, love, recklessness and the freedom of it so well!!!
½ February 23, 2014
A feel good movie disguised as a punk rock movie.
January 11, 2014
Great story of friendship and redemption. Plus, the fat kid's a drummer!
½ January 5, 2014
Punk rock at its finest. This dramedy does it right. Acting is good, and the story is well done. Hope to see more of Wysocki in the future.
½ January 2, 2014
Solid through and through. Skips over traditional genre ploys and keeps you guessing with characters. A lot of good work in here.