The Father of My Children (Le pere de mes enfants) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Father of My Children (Le pere de mes enfants) Reviews

½ October 5, 2015
A quiet movie that tackles a very difficult subject with empathy and compassion. It gives evidence to how men are defined by their work.
October 15, 2012
The plot is already developed when the film begins, as it we are joining it in a point at time. The series of events that follow are more cause and effect of the plot in action rather than a direct storyline, but it works.
½ September 21, 2012
Bijna de cinemazaal uitgelopen, toch gebleven !
Zonder in slaap te vallen, net geen hoofdpijn.
Clich√ (C) na clich√ (C), beelden opvulling.
½ September 9, 2012
Sensitive look at the effect suicide has on one family.
August 10, 2012
I preferred the first half to the second half, because even though the after-effects of the central event are explored, they're explored so sloooowly.
July 25, 2012
Gregoire est un homme comble avec une femme et 3 filles qu il aime et qui l aiment en retour. Il travaille aussi dans un secteur qui le passionne : le cinema. Il est producteur independant , soutient frequemment des projets risques et adore faire plaisir a ses realisateurs. Il est tres optimiste et va de l avant malgre les difficultes financieres rencontrees par sa compagnie. Mais un jour l optimisme ne suffit plus et la societe se retrouve au pied du mur. Et Gregoire va tres mal le vivre.
Mia Hansen-Love dresse le portrait d un pere de famille pour lequel un element negatif professionnel va tout venir chambouler, et dont le geste extreme va bouleverser sa famille et ses amis. C est aussi une illustration de la vie apres le deuil, de la continuite des choses. Personnellement j ai prefere la premiere partie, plus active et servant plus la narration. La seconde partie est plutot plate et ne mene pas grand part.
July 22, 2012
I left feeling a bit unsatisfied with this film but I guess that is how someone dealing with the suicide of a loved one may always feel about any answers available to them. This is based on the death of a film maker in Paris in 2005 and is an ok story but definitely not happy and moves at a different pacing than many Americans would be used to.
½ May 28, 2012
The cowardly film producer dad commits suicide because he is overwhelmed by the burden of his company's debts. In Malaysia, he'd just run away to another country. The dad's spouse comes in to clear his financial problems, so I don't understand why he didn't follow her path before he pulled the trigger. The kids cry a bit after his death, but life goes on. In a strange twist, the eldest daughter finds love a fews after his death. Huh???? Otherwise, it's a slow, rambling movie that's more appropriate for the TV than the silver screen.
April 30, 2012
A man with a troubled professional life and an idyllic personal life is forced to re-evaluate his life.
An hour into this film, there's an event which defines all that came before and comes after. But since the Flixster synopsis doesn't give it away (even though the Netflix synopsis does), I won't reveal it here. What I can say is that the film is thoroughly uninteresting for the first hour, but afterward it finds its focus and comes to a fairly satisfactory resolution. The film seems to be saying that any attempts we make in order to find meaning and existential security in our professional lives are not as satisfying as what we ignore in our personal lives.
Overall, Father of My Children is poorly constructed and not well paced (the event an hour into it should have begun the film), but I ended up respecting it even if I couldn't like it.
April 23, 2012
good family drama again another lost review:(
½ April 21, 2012
interesting combo of insider look at the film biz+a intimate family drama as a hard working producer juggles professional and personal life with mixed results the main actor reminds me of a young french robert deniro
February 1, 2012
I'm stunned by both the factual story as well as the talent of this ridiculously young female director (girlfriend of Olivier Assayas) who has brought it to screen. It's really worth seeing the interview with her in the extras to hear her talk about her work. I‚(TM)d say one of my favourite movies of all times.
September 10, 2011
I like this movie showing tragedy of one family in quiet expression.
September 3, 2011
One of those films that critics love, I guess. For me....ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
½ August 29, 2011
Father of My Children fails because of it can't connect to the audience. The plot is unbelievable and there is no mourning in order for anybody to understand the feelings of the main characters. There are some side plots that go absolutely nowhere. The first half hour is very interesting and well done but everything after that is slowly downhill.
½ August 20, 2011
A superbly crafted work by a newcomer to my cinema world. Looking forward to seeing more of her work. "Le Pere de Mes Enfants" is a must see for anyone who cares about cinema.
July 13, 2011
The suicidal is probably someone completely desperate, and he would never kill himself if he could think about it... but he can't think, he is out of his mind. I can't imagine how painful it is to have a relative or a friend that commits suicide but this movie is wonderful to show us that there is no sign, there is no guilt, there is no way to explain... Life has to move on. The father left behind four women, and they will have to understand his desperation and forgive him. It is worth watching!
July 4, 2011
A superb film that consists of two, very different parts. The initial flurry of Gregoire's hectic film-producer life, juggled with the responsibilities of his young family is wonderfully exposed by a combination of Hanson-Love's subtle direction and editing and a magnificent Louis-Dominque De Lencquesaing performance. As his character slowly and tragically unravels, the film takes a sudden and unexpected turn, switching focus to his family and the way in which they must struggle to understand a man who has allowed his reputation and career to define him and whose considerable struggle in this current global financial crisis is a private, unmentioned affair. Powerful, memorable and devastating, this complex study of the fragility of the male psyche and of the ramifications of family responsibility, is a truly masterful piece of contemporary cinema.