A Few Good Men Reviews

• Aug 12, 2019

A riveting courtroom drama from early-career Aaron Sorkin, one that's absolutely stuffed with taut suspense, gripping dialog and A-list actors delivering lifetime performances. Not bad for a first-time screenwriter. It's an intelligent film that smoothly toes the line between spelling things out and relying on legalese to skim the details. The audience gets a thorough understanding of the issue, the limits of the law and the goal of both teams, but that information is slowly rationed and rarely over-explained. We see vivid flaws in our heroes and earnest values in our villains. Each important player gets their chance to shine, and boy, do they all smack the ball out of the park. None moreso than Jack Nicholson, whose "You can't handle the truth" outburst has become synonymous with the picture. That speech still holds incredible power today, not just for the substance of the words (which remain pertinent, nearly thirty years later) but for the raw, unguarded emotion of Nicholson's delivery. It's easy to overlook the fact that he's scarcely on-screen for fifteen minutes, that climactic delivery resonates for so long. Tom Cruise and Demi Moore also bring their very best - I don't think Jack's moment burns quite so bright without Cruise there to egg him on - and a whole mess of supporting players are equally motivated, but that's just water under the bridge. It's all about getting to that speech, about earning that speech, and then basking in the afterglow of what it meant. Daring, unflinching, passionate moviemaking that keeps us guessing to the very last breath. It's still every bit as good as I remembered.

• Aug 05, 2019

A Few Good Men is just to dry and slow. It lacks a point and a reason for being there. I like the famous quote though: YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!!!

• Jun 30, 2019

A brave look into holding all ranks of society accountable. Rob Reiner's courtroom drama A Few Good Men (1992) sees Tom Cruise represent two Marines accused of murder. It is a riveting movie that delves into the purpose of why lawyers represent clients, how far they are willing to go, and the ethics of military protocol. It is rare for such a patriotic film as A Few Good Men to call out the flaws in the American military, but it does so respectfully in order to make audiences understand that just because someone is ordered to commit a crime while in uniform that they are not absolved of their actions. Life has consequences and A Few Good Men demonstrates that sentiment beautifully. Rob Reiner's direction is a masterclass of engaging viewers with powerful performances, witty script writing, and thoughtful presentation of facts so that you are never bored with the technical points about Marine code and conduct. Reiner was on a hot streak after Stand by Me and Misery, so following two beloved classics with another is especially impressive. A Few Good Men is sleek and trimmed down to just the necessary dialogue and the most interesting angles. Reiner understands how to depict an intriguing mystery within a fascinating courtroom drama with his reflective style. He always lets you see the characters speaking with nice medium shots only zooming in for emphasis on occasion. I will always appreciate how Reiner lets his shots breathe with the audience without endless jump cuts. Aaron Sorkin's screenplay, adapted from his play, is riveting. Sorkin's normally excessively wordy scripts is actually cut down neatly here. His dialogue features strict military code delivered in easily understandable phrasing, clever romantic flirtations, and witty jokes that ease up the serious weight of A Few Good Men's subject matter. Sorkin delivered an all timer with this script. I really like the moody and rising score from Marc Shaiman. It fits the heavy tone as well as the cooler comedic moments. I think Tom Cruise is the real draw here. His relaxed defense attorney is so likable and dismissive simultaneously that you are endeared to this odd character immediately. He is so chill that Cruise eases you into the world of military court martial trials. His chemistry with Demi Moore is palpable as they both feel respectful of each other. Moore is great as an ambitious and well meaning attorney within the Navy. She comes across as genuine and eager to impress. I think she fits the strong female role model type shown herein as an intelligent woman and a no frills Lieutenant Commander. Jack Nicholson is brilliant as the complex and resolute Colonel. His breakdown on the stand in A Few Good Men's finale is an iconic display of fine character acting and thrilling climax to the movie. His earlier moments are full of neat character reveals. Lastly, I like many of A Few Good Men's supporting roles. Kevin Pollak is amazing as Cruise's assistant. His ability to rattle off facts as well as correct Cruise in the moment make him a great ally and a wonderful foil. I particularly like when he is honest about his feelings for their clients. It's a nice honest moment for these characters. Furthermore, Kevin Bacon, Kiefer Sutherland, J.T. Walsh, Wolfgang Bodison, James Marshall, Christopher Guest, Cuba Gooding Jr., and Noah Wyle all have fun supporting roles in A Few Good Men that I enjoyed. In all, Rob Reiner is a phenomenal director, which he proves again with A Few Good Men.

• Jun 18, 2019

Très bon film, avec un Tom Cruise très convaincant. Jack Nicholson incroyable, comme d'habitude, dans le rôle de l'officier militaire inflexible qui méprise la sphère civile. Le dénouement final, même si il est assez prévisible, impressionne par l'émotion qu'il dégage, notamment grâce au bon jeu de Nicholson.

• Feb 19, 2019

While the film ends on a fairly predictable and overly sentimental note, A Few Good Men offers incredible performances, a white knuckle script, and some of the most intense courtroom drama scenes to date, while also supplying commentary on the men that are hired to serve the country, making this a tense, boisterous, and thoroughly entertaining and engaging film.

• Feb 01, 2019

The best courtroom movie ever made! With the best movie character ever portrayed: Jack Nicholson as Nathan R. Jessep! And the best movie quote ever spoken: "You can't handle the truth!"

• Jan 28, 2019

Beautiful take on the impact of loyalty, as well as a powerful critique of the American justice system.

• Jan 10, 2019

A few good men is one of the best films in my opinion that I have ever seen. This film has one of the greatest scripts that I have ever seen. The dialogue is on point all through out the film. There are some really good characters that fit the role they are given. When your supposed to hate them you do and when your supposed to feel for them you do. The acting is really good and fits with the characters. The story is also a intreging story with some really good ideas. Over all I give it a 9/10 - so close

• Dec 04, 2018

This is one of my favorite moves and likely the one I've viewed the most. Excellent drama all around. Every scene is compelling. All actors top notch. Never did understand why they didn't autopsy Santiago to find out just why he died.

• Nov 16, 2018

This a legitimately flawless film! The film, based on Sorkinâ(TM)s phenomenal screenplay, is a fast-moving, riveting courtroom drama directed beautifully, and acted to perfection across the board. The film stands the test of time and stands alone as one of the best-written films of all time, and maybe one of the best movies in general - a true gem.