Fill the Void - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Fill the Void Reviews

July 10, 2016
the only thing i didn't like about this movie is a final scene where i would expect some sort of silent dialog, anything that would make me feel less guilty for being happy for their unorthodox "happy end". otherwise it's a beautifully developed story of love, loss, sacrificing, everything life has to offer. there is erotic tension slowly built between two lost people inside the tiny space of a dark apartment they almost don't leave during the movie. different people come in and out, each one has important role in the main characters lives, still there is enough space for everything and everyone, so much drama and so many emotions. even if it's only filling the void, i want all the characters to find happiness.
½ August 23, 2015
Rama Burshtein's beautiful film is an insider's insightful look at an Orthodox Hassidic community that had me second-guessing my own thoughts and misconceptions about arranged marriages. It's always great to dive into unknown worlds and different cultures and Burshtein is the perfect guide. She does it with so much respect for what it is ultimately a largely misunderstood and marginalised community. It is not about religion, most definitely not about secularism, but it's about the human heart and as nearly every critic pointed out Jane Austen fans should enjoy it immensely. The cinematography by Asaf Sudri is particularly stunning, to the point I had to pause frames to admire them! A breathtaking debut feature film and hopefully not the last we'll see from Burshtein.
January 23, 2015
In LOVE with this film. The best I've seen in a while.
October 16, 2014
I tried to watch this and it is just too slow for my tastes. I skipped to the unsatisfactory end and deemed it something I can safely pass on.
September 20, 2014
A film which by documenting the facts of orthodox Jewish marriages, questions the morality of arranged marriages.
August 24, 2014
This is a beautiful film that shines a bright light on an orthodox Jewish community, its traditions, and its reaction to a tragic event. You'll learn a lot about this religious community from the inside. And you'll wonder how someone can make such difficult and dutiful decisions.
August 23, 2014
Gentle, warm and humane, and a poetic reminder that our happiness and choices are always constrained, wherever and however we happen to live.
August 10, 2014
First time watching Israel movie. I am completely blown away by the performance of Yiftach Klein and the story telling ability of the director Rama Burshtein.
I need to watch 2 times to appreciate the subtlety of the story and the culture behind.
I think the actress is good, but not as good as the main actor. His eyes tell a lot of the character's emotion. Last but not least he is really attractive!
½ July 13, 2014
ok family drama about a family's struggles
June 23, 2014
Thoughtful and moving insight into the life and works of orthodox jews.
½ May 25, 2014
Not that interesting, very slow and not worth the time.
May 21, 2014
This Haredi version of Pride and Prejudice loses something in translation for non-Hebrew speakers, I think, but it is worth a viewing if you are interested in that subculture.
May 21, 2014
very interesting movie about the lives of orthodox Jews.
April 17, 2014
Best Original Soundtrack Moti Hefetz, Aviv Aldema Nominated [34]
Best Makeup Eti Ben Nun Won [33]
Venice Film Festival Best Actress Hadas Yaron Won [35]
Golden Lion Award Nominated [30]
European Film Awards Carlo Di Palma European Cinematographer Award Asaf Sudry Won
March 20, 2014
A cultural fly on the wall movie like you don't see very often. Completely engrossing.
½ March 17, 2014
Ultimately feels like a forced marriage, although I don't think that was the writer/director's intention. I guess I don't know enough about the world the film inhabits; it feels like something from the 19th century.
½ March 16, 2014
Subtle and self-contained, this movie let me glimpse the inner lives of people whose culture is a total mystery to me. Good acting and screenplay.
February 22, 2014
An closer look at a culture and its people facing a universal drama that seems to be anyone else's.
½ February 22, 2014
An intimate rather ambiguous look at marriage, death and Judaism. The acting is so spot on, it almost feels like a documentary. Definitely worth a watch!