Flight of the Navigator - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Flight of the Navigator Reviews

October 7, 2016
This is one of those films that flirts with greatness but never quite reaches it. The first half of the film sets up an amazingly unusual drama by having the kid discover he's somehow gone ten years into the future. A bit like a modern Rip Van Winkle only as a child. This gives us so many opportunities to explore the curiously shifting relationships between a boy who hasn't aged a day and his eight years' wiser family (including a younger brother who's now older than him) who all thought he was dead. It doesn't go deep but perhaps that would be too ambitious. Plus it doesn't have the time. The problem then becomes what to do with such an amazing setup. The answer involves alien spaceships. Not a bad twist. The problem is that once he gets onto the ship all plot advancement halts. Instead of going to meet the aliens, or fleeing from the Feds, or capitalizing on the family drama he simply flies around looking for home. I mean, I get why he wants to go back but it's not a very interesting conflict to watch. Especially since we rarely leave the ship. It's never exciting and it squanders the dramatic opportunities established earlier in the film. Which is too bad because the film that could have existed had the potential to be truly amazing.
September 19, 2016
One of my childhood's movies that amazed me the magic of movie making.
August 16, 2016
A truly great tour de force of a sci fi film, despite some of a few of it's problem's! The ship is obviously a cross between a walnut and a seashell, but it's a very original design! And it morphing into a silver arrow, blasting off at heart stopping speeds!? Sign! It gives you the ultimate thrill ride of a lifetime!
April 3, 2016
My absolute FAVORITE movie growing up as a kid. I was in first grade when it was released in theaters. When it came out on VHS (remember those things) I must have watched it at least a couple hundred more times
January 15, 2016
Sure it's a cheezy kids film but it's pretty great. I enjoyed it more as a kid, with it's adventure and fun and mystery and scifi, but you wont not enjoy it as an adult too. First half is definitely a lot better. 6.5/10
December 21, 2015
I seriously loved this movie when I was a kid. I think mostly because of the special fx and the idea of flying a spaceship around the world. It's still watchable today, although the alien gets annoying when he adopts his human 'personality'. The kid's hair causes some distracting continuity issues inside the spaceship too. It kinda inflates and deflates in volume every few seconds. In general it's fun though.
½ December 2, 2015
A Childhood classic for me.
½ September 8, 2015
great and original film, like so many sci fi family films attempting to find its feet in the 80s, this film is no exception. Flight of the navigator has strong character, an intriguing concept and just unleashes something really fresh. great for a trip down memory lane.
August 3, 2015
A very charming and mysterious movie that makes you feel like a kid again.
½ July 29, 2015
I was compelled by this film as a child. I was surprised to find myself equally as compelled as an adult! Great story, intriguing tone and a lot of fun.
July 23, 2015
Compliance! A timeless classic that ranks HIGH in the geek-nostalgic MUST-SEE film world. I just feel as if though there was so much more to discover, making a sequel to this film highly justified with todays abilities.
May 4, 2015
love this movie. watched with my kiddo yesterday.
April 28, 2015
A very cute movie. I remember seeing this at the movie theater and enjoying it then. Many years later, I own the DVD and once every couple of years or so I dust off the cover and pop it in the DVD player and it brings a smile to my face. I love the shape-shifting spaceship, which was a very novel idea.
½ April 7, 2015
Liked it as a child but not so much now.
February 20, 2015
niece grew up watching it I learned to love it
½ February 16, 2015
Still has a bit of re-watch value after all these years. Some parts are a bit too dumbed down for kids, but for the most part it is a fun movie.
February 16, 2015
Classic Disney fun that I loved as a kid, this time travel/alien/family comedy/drama does some really great things. It still looks good for the most part, although my daughter was only all to happy to point out that she could see the strings making the little alien puppet dance. The acting is solid with Howard Hesseman giving a good performance as the NASA chief and Joey Cramer gives a very adequate performance for the lead. The story is fairly silly, but heart warming at the same time, it hasn't held up all that well, but the fond memories make up for it. Although I don't think NASA has nearly as much power as they make them out to,
3 Beards Out Of 5
February 15, 2015
Classic Disney fun that I loved as a kid, this time travel/alien/family comedy/drama does some really great things. It still looks good for the most part, although my daughter was only all to happy to point out that she could see the strings making the little alien puppet dance. The acting is solid with Howard Hesseman giving a good performance as the NASA chief and Joey Cramer gives a very adequate performance for the lead. The story is fairly silly, but heart warming at the same time, and with it hasn't held up all that well, but the fond memories make up for it. Although I don't think NASA has nearly as much power as they make them out to,
3 Beards Out Of 5