Flirt - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Flirt Reviews

½ February 21, 2015
Hal Hartley's experimental anthology film (which is essentially the same story retold three times with different characters and locations) is a film that succeeds through clever parallels and a histrionic sense, although it's more curious than resounding.
September 8, 2014
Gave it another look for the first time since the VHS days and I have to say that I still dig Hartley's deadpan characters quite a bit, even if it all does feel very much like a production and not anything one would naturally encounter out there in the real world.

Worth a look, examining the death of a relationship from three different perspectives, genders and sexualities.

Rental!
½ August 9, 2014
I liked how the first two are essentially identical except for sexual orientation, and then the third plays out almost completely differently (though I thought when it began it was going to be an entirely new story and was disappointed when the familiar lines started being spoken). Although I get the feeling that this setup-consolidation-punchline structure was not intentional, I found it interesting nonetheless.
April 5, 2014
Not my favourite Hal Hartley, but interesting.
September 30, 2012
Me quedo con la primera historia, bastante notable. Despues, me quede algo frio esperando mas, no es tan gozosa de ver como prometia pero una propuesta que merece la pena tener en cuenta.
July 17, 2011
Essentially a short movie told 3 times, set in different countries. The English version is great, a Hal Hartley classic. Unfortunately the "foreign" versions of the story were kind of lost on me, especially the Japanese one.
½ September 22, 2010
The final story makes the other two worth it. If and when you should find yourself in a Hal Hartley phase, save this one for last. I did and it was a perfect way to end one of the most underrated modern filmographies.
½ September 3, 2010
Hal Hartley's film is a narrative experiment in a similar vain to recent Palme d'Or winner Apichatpong Weerasethakul's feature length films. The same story told three different ways, in three different cities. The first version, set in New York, plays out with a distinct Hartley tone, weird with a dry sense of humour. The second version makes fun of the fact that you've already heard these words said by other characters as we view how the same story is told differently in Berlin. What in the first version was very abstract and shot in mostly close-ups is now a little more cohesive but heavier on philosophical musings. The third section (and my favourite) is set in Tokyo. This section is quieter, with more heart and somewhat true to Hartley's own life (he features in this section and married one of the Japanese actors).

This is experimental filmmaking that one rarely sees coming out of America and although by no means everyones cup of tea, I adore its gusto and Hal Hartleys nerve to venture such an experimental idea.
May 29, 2010
Saw this some time ago and it wasn't bad
½ November 15, 2008
Not Hartley's best film, but very filmic and in places, comedy gold, centring around the ambiguity of three flirts, and whether or not character is a more important agent of determinism than character. The best story is the first one, with all Hartley's regular actors, but the funniest moments in his film are the occasional choruses where random people respond to the flirts' rhetorical question about whether they should stay faithful to an unfaithful lover - Robert John Burke's philosophical guy on the bog reading a tabloid and smoking a fag while meditating that "love is an act, faith is a state" is probably the best, but the German existentialist workmen in Act II come pretty close.
June 17, 2008
Another Hal Hartley gem.
½ June 17, 2008
What a crappy pretentious movie. I just couldn't handle watching the whole thing. Ew.
½ June 17, 2008
Muito muito mau! Diria terrivel! Maus actores, mal direccionado. Mau! Apesar da ideia até ser gira, não foi bem sucedido. De todo!
May 17, 2008
Interesting experiment at telling the same story in three different settings.
March 2, 2008
a brilliant screenplay, especially the berlin "philosophy" scenes. hartley performances from the cast, but the shorter sequences make those mannered performances seem brighter rather than dull and affected. i love it.
½ January 6, 2008
I wish I could get this on DVD! A brilliant idea and marvelously carried out.
January 5, 2008
I am a big fan of Hartley's movies but I think this is just bad.
November 26, 2007
A witty, clever, odd and sensual delight from Hal Hartley.
½ October 4, 2007
a może hatley nie by? taki przereklamowany?
September 26, 2007
To be perfectly honest, this movie bored me.