Flirt Reviews

• Jan 13, 2015

Hal Hartley's experimental anthology film (which is essentially the same story retold three times with different characters and locations) is a film that succeeds through clever parallels and a histrionic sense, although it's more curious than resounding.

• Sep 08, 2014

Gave it another look for the first time since the VHS days and I have to say that I still dig Hartley's deadpan characters quite a bit, even if it all does feel very much like a production and not anything one would naturally encounter out there in the real world. Worth a look, examining the death of a relationship from three different perspectives, genders and sexualities. Rental!

• Aug 09, 2014

I liked how the first two are essentially identical except for sexual orientation, and then the third plays out almost completely differently (though I thought when it began it was going to be an entirely new story and was disappointed when the familiar lines started being spoken). Although I get the feeling that this setup-consolidation-punchline structure was not intentional, I found it interesting nonetheless.

• Nicki M Super Reviewer
    Apr 05, 2014

Not my favourite Hal Hartley, but interesting.

Not my favourite Hal Hartley, but interesting.

• Sep 30, 2012

Me quedo con la primera historia, bastante notable. Despues, me quede algo frio esperando mas, no es tan gozosa de ver como prometia pero una propuesta que merece la pena tener en cuenta.

• Jul 17, 2011

Essentially a short movie told 3 times, set in different countries. The English version is great, a Hal Hartley classic. Unfortunately the "foreign" versions of the story were kind of lost on me, especially the Japanese one.

• Sep 22, 2010

The final story makes the other two worth it. If and when you should find yourself in a Hal Hartley phase, save this one for last. I did and it was a perfect way to end one of the most underrated modern filmographies.

• Sep 03, 2010

Hal Hartley's film is a narrative experiment in a similar vain to recent Palme d'Or winner Apichatpong Weerasethakul's feature length films. The same story told three different ways, in three different cities. The first version, set in New York, plays out with a distinct Hartley tone, weird with a dry sense of humour. The second version makes fun of the fact that you've already heard these words said by other characters as we view how the same story is told differently in Berlin. What in the first version was very abstract and shot in mostly close-ups is now a little more cohesive but heavier on philosophical musings. The third section (and my favourite) is set in Tokyo. This section is quieter, with more heart and somewhat true to Hartley's own life (he features in this section and married one of the Japanese actors). This is experimental filmmaking that one rarely sees coming out of America and although by no means everyones cup of tea, I adore its gusto and Hal Hartleys nerve to venture such an experimental idea.

• May 29, 2010