The Fly II - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Fly II Reviews

½ July 17, 2016
I remember watching this on VHS when it first came out and not being all that impressed. However, if you look at the writing credits, there are some pretty solid writers, Mick Garris (creator of "Master of Horror" , Jim & Ken Wheat (co-writers of "Pitch Black" [though I think director/co-writer David Twohy gets most of the credit on that one]), and Frank Darabont (writer/director of "The Shawshank Redemption" and creator of "The Walking Dead"), so I went into this re-watching film with some new hope. The film starts out well with the offspring of Jeff Goldblum and Geena Davis from the first film being raised by a research facility. The child grows at an accelerated rate and in five years grows into Eric Stoltz, who is a genius and is the only one who seems to understand his father's teleportation research and is continuing his research for the company who is holding him. The film starts out well, with Stoltz thinking the research facility is treating him as a scientist, but he slowly realized he's really just a highly intelligent lab rat. The film sadly then goes down the road of standard horror film gore and body counts when (SPOILER ALERT!) a mutated Stoltz begins to exact his revenge upon his captors. Generally speaking, this film is disappointing in that it's nowhere as intelligent as the David Cronenberg original (well, his remake of the 1958 film). But in this film's favor, Stoltz is quite good in the lead, as is Daphne Zuniga, who are both better of actors than you usually get in most horror films. Also, the gory special effects are well done, which is a good thing if you enjoy that sort of thing, which I do. That was enough to make this sequel watchable, but it's nowhere as intelligent or as compelling as the Cronenberg original.
May 2, 2016
WOW......WOW.....WOW.....SO SO SO SO SO BAD......MAN THIS IS SUCH AN AWFUL MESSY MESSY MOVIE 2 WATCH, IT IS SO SO SO SO DREADFUL, IT IS SUCH AN AWFUL MOVIE 2 WATCH, IT IS SO SO SO AWFUL MOVIE 2 WATCH, IT IS SO SO SO DREADFUL, IT IS SO SO SO DREADFUL, IT IS SUCH AN AWFUL MOVIE 2 WATCH IT IS SUCH AN AWFUL MESSY MOVIE 2 WATCH.......WARNING THIS MOVIE CONTAINS STROBE LIGHTNING EFFECTS THROUGHOUT THIS MOVIE......MAN THIS IS SUCH AN AWFUL MOVIE 2 WATCH, IT IS SUCH AN AWFUL MESSY MOVIE 2 WATCH, IT IS SUCH AN AWFUL MOVIE 2 WATCH, IT IS SUCH A BAD MOVIE 2 WATCH, JUST AVOID THIS MOVIE AT ALL IT IS SUCH A BAD MOVIE 2 WATCH, JUST AVOID THIS MOVIE AT ALL COSTS IT IS THAT BAD.....JUST DO NOT WATCH THIS MOVIE IT IS SO AWFUL.......ITS GOT A GOOD SOUNDTRACK THROUGHOUT THIS MOVIE.....BUT MAN THIS MOVIE IS SO SO SO AWFUL 2 WATCH....
½ April 28, 2016
Entertaining but not as good as its prequel.
February 3, 2016
I actually watched this before I watched the previous film which the only guess that I have, is so I can get a glimpse of what's it like so that whenever The Fly is free to watch only, I'll definitely give it a shot. After watching The Fly however, it really made this a very underwhelming sequel. Seeing as this wasn't directed and co-written by David Cronenberg and instead is by the make-up artist form the first film was not a good sign at all, but it does give into some new ideas that were perhaps restrained by David Cronenberg. When it goes through the first few minutes that the main girl from the first film goes into labor and finally got the baby out that's half fly and half human, it's a great idea to start with and you can do a lot of things with a character that's half fly/human. The thing is with it is that the filmmakers didn't do a lot with that and just have the character some generic powers. The characters are sticklike and aren't nearly as memorable as the characters in the first one. The villain is your average one that is nothing new. The dog scene was a bit unbearable to watch and consider that the director wanted this so that the viewers can feel sorry for the test subject, makes it even worse as they could've just put a human in, and it would have the same feeling as the dog, but more bearable to watch. The plot is mediocre which the director should've focused on, but it was more focused on the make-up and gore effects, and that was the problem here. The bigger problem however, was that the effects either look cartoony, rushed, or just really bad. The only good parts of the film, are the decent actingC and the cameo scene which is the most interesting and enjoyable part. The Fly 2 is a pointless sequel that could've worked given the ideas that they put in this, but were executed poorly.
December 12, 2015
At the end of The Fly, the girl is pregnant with Jeff Goldblum's son. He is born in The Fly II, and like his father, he transforms into a fly-like creature. He then seeks out revenge on the scientists who were studying him since birth. Overall it's good but it's not better than the first movie. If you like the first part, you have to at least watch it for continuation purposes. 3/5 OR 6/10
½ September 9, 2015
The Fly 2 takes awhile to get going as it continues to the story set up by the vastly superior first film. The story is all about buildup. The opening gets you hooked with plenty of nasty and then proceeds to tell the story. You might find yourself falling asleep with this setup but stick with it cause the payoff is a grossout fest full of action, goo, and vomitous fun.
It's too bad the film takes so long to get to the payoff and could have used a little more excitement along the way but gorehounds should still enjoy this fun sequel all the same.
September 3, 2015
An uninspired but very decent sequel to Cronenberg's classic, this follow up concerns Seth Brundle's rapidly growing son who is being raised and studied in a government facility with literally the worst fucking security ever, and played by "nearly Marty McFly" Eric Stoltz. The first two thirds are a bit of a drag, aside from the incredibly upsetting mutated dog, but then the final half hour or so of the film is an explosion of nastiness. There is a truly mean spirited feel to the movies graphic gore, especially the dudes face being melted off, vicious bastard Frank (The Mist, The Green Mile) Darabont's fingerprints are all over it. So it dose spend much of it's time as a dull retread of sorts but onece it gets going it's a disgusting, violent treat for gore hounds and horror fans, with great creature effects to boot. Well worth checking out.
½ June 30, 2015
This is one of those sequels, like Men In Black II, that suffers from the original being so excellent. The Fly II is well worth watching, but it simply cannot measure up to the masterpiece that Cronenberg's The Fly was. So, audiences hated it more than it should have been hated. While it does not benefit from two charismatic leads and relies more on shock and gore than disturbing horror, it still retains the spirit of the first. Check it out.
June 26, 2015
Contrary to what I thought of it when first watching it, 'The Fly II' is not better than the first. In fact, it's more of a science-fiction movie than an actual horror film. But the horror does build up later on.
June 5, 2015
REVIEW: #TheFly2 is a forgettable #horror sequel. The movies tones and performances can't be matched to #DavidCronenberg's masterpiece #TheFly. However director #ChrisWalas' #makeup effects are brilliant, and horrifying! 3/5
½ April 18, 2015
An average 80's horror sequel in that it was terrible and should have never been made just like 98% of 80's horror sequels.
April 16, 2015
Boring movie with a few interesting ideas. Would have been better as science fiction without the horror, and maybe some narration to get a better understanding of the character. Sadly, the ending is great. I don't mind watching a bad movie, but I find it sad when terrible movies show moments of brilliance. The special effects and the way the ending plays out is the closest thing I've seen to Aliens. That movie was much better, of course, but just watch the ending of The Fly 2 and tell me that doesn't put you in the mood to watch Aliens -- and the movie Freaks. If the movie was three hours long I wouldn't complain, if the extra hour was filled with carnage.
½ February 2, 2015
One of the types of films which would get shoehorned into a PG-13 nowadays, The Fly II builds up its horror with mood and tension, 80's style, until the third act, when the gore lets loose.
½ November 23, 2014
Not as bad as it is made out to be,it's worth a watch to tie off the open ending of the first movie, but it's still not that great, all of the puppetry and gore looks like what was used in gremlins,not "the fly"
October 31, 2014
A far inferior sequel that should have been entitled "Son of the Fly." The creature effects a small step down mainly because the monster doesn't look much like a fly and the characters are less interesting. Most importantly it feels more like a standard horror picture rather than the intelligent science picture its predecessor was
October 11, 2014
Fails to hit the marks of the original remake, or offer anything new, but still watchable.
September 27, 2014
I don't need to see the movie to know it's bad. I read the plot summary. Even the plot summary made the movie seem hokey, pointless, and unneeded with story elements borrowed from elsewhere. And from the beginning of the plot summary I could tell the character Bartok could not be trusted! I don't plan on seeing this, and I advise you don't plan to see it, either. But I didn't completely hate the summary, so I'll rate the movie 20%.
September 27, 2014
September 6, 2014
As a follow-up to one of the greatest horrors of all time, The Fly II is dreadful. Yet, in its own right, it is actually better than you might have thought. Chris Walas' sequel concerns itself merely with gore and a desire, it seems, to appeal to a younger audience. The characters are wafer thin, and the plot really doesn't hold water.

Nonetheless, the gory sequences are gleefully grizzly and, like the original, Walas must once again be commended for his creature effects that made the first film so spectacular. All in all, the film is a damn sight better than it really has any right to be. Especially when you compare it to some piddling sequels you get.