For a Good Time, Call... - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

For a Good Time, Call... Reviews

½ July 4, 2016
I'm gonna admit, at first I thought this was just another crappy movie on Netflix about sex, but it's definitely much more than that. The story line behind it is great, and the two female leads are fantastic.

If I ever find this on DVD I for sure want to buy it!
½ May 8, 2016
Grade: C+. It got pretty annoying but at the same time it was pretty funny.
April 28, 2016
love this movie!!!!!
½ February 15, 2016
More silly than anything, it's pretty much cliche as well, as the super uptight character has to live now with the very liberal and careless character. I'm not to hard on it because it had that one actually funny scene with Seth Rogen, but that's as good as it gets.
½ December 23, 2015
In recent years, the direction of female comedies has taken a turn for the better. It was always believed that a comedy, featuring a mostly female cast, would only work as a buddy comedy. No one ever thought that women would ever be able to successful pull off a raunchy comedy, until Bridesmaids came along and changed all that. For A Good Time, Call... is from the same writers and producers as Bridesmaids and may even be funnier. The story begins with Lauren (Lauren Anne Miller) being dumped by her long time fiancee. On her own, Lauren can't afford the upscale apartment she's been living in, and is forced to move in with Katie, a promiscuous, pill popping OCD, who she'd only met once before, at a party, where Katie threw up on her. At first, the hostility is off the charts, but when Lauren loses her dream job, she is forced to help Katie run her business, a phone sex line. This film is not for the faint of heart, as it is very raunchy, to the point of shocking even me, someone who thinks they've seen it all. While this may seem like a great thing, the truth is, as with most single themed comedies, the longer it goes, the less funny it gets. At first, seeing the things these girls were saying and the people they were talking to was hilarious, but after an hour of this film, it just really wasn't all the funny anymore. Both the female leads are terrific and they are the reason this film works. For A Good Time, Call... is very raunchy and very funny, but it has one centralized theme and doesn't deviate from it much at all. If not for the amazing young ladies who star in it, this film would have got tiresome a lot more quickly then it did. For a good time watch this movie, it's way out there, but some parts are truly hysterical.
½ October 10, 2015
It tries really hard to be funny and doesn't follow a clear path, instead feeling like a slightly longer humorless sitcom episode; fortunately, this means it doesn't overstay its welcome.
August 27, 2015
This movie was highly rated on netflix so i decided to watch it even though by the look of the cover i thought it might be a chick flick. This movie was absolutely hysterical. 100% i recommend this movie if you want to watch a comedy. It's a shame it's rated so poorly on rotten tomatoes. I am certain this is because many people do not appreciate the type of adult comedy used in the film. Best way to describe the comedy is ; If you make alot of sex jokes in your personal life... This movie will be 5 stars in your book.

enjoy the film, and bump up that rating. Too many offended people out there dropping the rating low. Fight back!
August 20, 2015
We need more movies trying to recreate the magic that is "For a Good Time Call" the same way we don't need any more "American Pie" sequels and knock-offs.
August 19, 2015
Absurd, goofy and funny. I really enjoyed it.
August 17, 2015
I loved this movie! It was hilarious!
½ August 13, 2015
When I first heard about For a Good Time, Call I was interested because I thought it could be a funny comedy with a surprising heartfelt twist. I was unfortunately wrong and let down. The story follows Lauren and Katie who at first hate each other but when they are forced to move in together they start a phone operator line and they become closer friends and discover the better things in each other. What makes this film such a letdown is for one thing this film didn't make me laugh once, well in a genuinely laughable moment, some moments were bad funny. I'm supposed to be laughing given that this is in fact labeled as a comedy. The thing that really made me dislike this film is that it has little to no heart put into it. It felt like someone just threw together an idea for a story and just made up plot points as filming progressed. There's no time to establish a touching plot because there's just an idea on the table that nobody bothered to touch all at once. The characters don't really have any arc or learn anything from the film except that you can like someone if you get to know them. That's pretty much all that I learned watching and they learned acting. This is kindergarten lesson material and honestly really lazy writing. The acting wasn't bad though actually, the two leads were pretty good and fun to watch as they grew closer together. What was terrible was Justin Long's overacting gay character, it's so cliche and it wasn't even funny. There's a difference when a gay character in a movie can make you laugh versus a gay character that's just kind of offensive in a way. Nathan Lane in The Birdcage is a good example of this. The ending of the movie was kind of stupid if how rushed it felt. Lauren meets up with Charlie who doesn't even matter at this point and Katie realizes she loves her and they get together after she has sex. Come on, that felt super out of place and unnecessary to bring Charlie back into this who was overacting too. For A Good Time, Call is a big disappointment given of how unfunny and nonsensical it was. The two leads are the only shining part of this film. D-
½ August 12, 2015
There are no laugh-out-loud moments but the story and cast are pretty good.
½ August 12, 2015
someone's gotta do it
½ August 1, 2015
I laughed some. I liked the surprise cameos. However, this is quite clearly a chick flick... and these bitches are annoyingly emotional.
July 18, 2015
A very different movie. The acting was okay, I see a lot of potential in Ari Graynor. The plot got kind of boring 45 minutes in, but it's watchable.
½ June 9, 2015
We laugh at your Bechdel test.
June 2, 2015
For a Good Time, Call is funny, yet very uneven.
May 23, 2015
a decent film, with some heart and a decent cast
May 11, 2015
An interesting and bizarre female friendship, with a sweet and colorfully art direction. 4/5
May 3, 2015
It's like Zack and Miri for your phone with some great cameos from Smith, Rogan, and Justin Long.