Frankenstein's Army - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Frankenstein's Army Reviews

July 7, 2016
awesome movie very goary and kool
January 2, 2016
Fun, trashy horror with great creature design.
½ December 24, 2015
BAD MOVIE THAT IS NOT TO BE SEEN EVEN AT FREE
December 7, 2015
Interesting film but still is good. This movie may not come so good to others but if you like the film good for you. Pretty good acting and a stable story and good ending. Cool creatures and creative charecters
November 9, 2015
If this movie accomplished anything it is the reaffirming of my belief that the sole purpose of the found footage gimmick is to save the filmmakers the trouble of actually writing a script or developing their characters in any meaningful way.
October 31, 2015
This is a movie that could have been excellent unfortunately hampered by yet another shoe-horned (and downright nonsensical considering the depicted time period) found footage gimmick. There is a time and place for found footage, and WWII is not it. That unfortunate misstep causes many problems throughout the film of pacing, cinematography, and dialogue, as often happens when bad and/or lazy writers use found footage as a crutch to jump from one scare to the next with little actual character development in between. However, the performance of the titular Frankenstein as well as the excellent practical effects and designs of his horrific creations (called "zom-bots" apparently?) make it worth checking out. With real camera-work and characters, this could have easily been one of the greatest and most unique horror movies in a long time. Instead it's an uneven mess that doesn't quite manage to overcome its flaws with its admittedly excellent moments of body horror and monster designs. I'm just really hoping for a re-imagining in the future from a writer who knows how to create real dialogue and characters combined with the designs and effects from this film.
½ October 27, 2015
Do not trust what they tell you!

During World War II the Germans are pushing into Russia. A Russian battalion assigned to push into a section of the invasion stumble into a laboratory where a unique scientist is developing super soldiers. The Russians hold off the soldiers as they try and capture the scientist.

"Go down there and see if you can find a light switch!"
"Why?"
"Because we need more light."

Richard Raaphorst delivers Frankenstein's Army. The storyline for this picture had some potential and was okay to watch unfold. I enjoyed the monsters but not the concept behind them so much. The cast delivers fairly good performances.

"Do you think it's worth it?"
"Maybe."

I recently came across this on Netflix and thought the concept sounded cool so I added it to the queue to watch this Halloween season. This was pretty good in a mindless kind of way. From an "entertainment value" standpoint it feels like Deep Blue Sea. I only recommend this to die hard horror/action movie fans.

"Well, that was fucking useless."

Grade: C
½ October 23, 2015
Barely liked this one. If it wasn't for the gruesome deaths and the really cool monsters, the movie was pretty boring. But I really did thoroughly enjoy all the monsters, and all the deaths, so it passes the test. Not much else to say about this movie. If you like grindhouse stuff, you will like this. ok concept, ok execution.
½ October 20, 2015
just messed up enough to be cool
October 12, 2015
Me and my son watched the trailer of this movie when watching the third season of The Walking Dead. The trailer looked quite cool so I decided to get it. Maybe I should hesitated a bit when I saw that it was really cheap on Amazon but I thought, what the heck, it is cheap and horror movies do not seem to have that big an audience these days. Well, unfortunately, the cheap price was well merited.

I guess one good thing one can say about this movie is that the producer had tried to make it a bit original. Unfortunately it did not work for me. I have never really liked these handy-cam movies where all the scenes are jumping around. This one tried to be a bit original in that it was simulating being made by an old-fashioned world war II film camera instead of a handy-cam. I am afraid that it did not really make it any better as far as I am concerned. It just added a few scrapes and the occasional end of the film reel effect every so often. Usually when something gory was about to happen.

Speaking of gory. The movie was not really that goory unless you count a lot of body parts being strewn around the scenes. Plenty of the, supposedly, gory parts was just silly, possibly supposed to be comical, but mostly just really silly. The part where the mad "genious" was grafting to brain parts, one Nazi and one communist, together was just ludicrous and sad.

The blurb claims this was supposed to be Hitler's last ghastly attempt to win the war but in the movie it seemed little more than some crazy guys drug induced dream. The main adversary failed completely in projecting any form of "genius" image and there certainly did not seem to be any support from the Nazi regime.

To make matters worse there was really not a single likable person in the movie. All the characters where either just filler characters, crazy people, real assholes or some mixture of said traits.

I am afraid that I had to force myself to watch this movie to the end.
September 30, 2015
It's a very interesting movie unlike anything I've ever seen. Very gory and violent but not scary mainly just creepy. The monster designs were unique and once it got going it was very entertaining. The ending was garbage and it just ended it the middle of the scene. Still worth a watch.
½ August 10, 2015
Great costume designs
June 10, 2015
A FF movie that's gory fun.The monster look straight out of human battlebots and the story doesn't sux just enough so the viewer can enjoy.
April 8, 2015
I liked the freaking monsters and loved Karel Roden as Victor Frankenstein.
½ March 22, 2015
Yo se que todos se tocaron con esta.
February 28, 2015
Under rated, and probably under seen, very much enjoyed this flick.
February 14, 2015
I'll say different with cool creatures.
½ February 3, 2015
I must admit, the concept of World War II found footage film, although slightly absurd, makes for an interesting back story. The execution, however, is downright preposterous. Visual looks intentionally grainy, and while this may represent the antique vibe, it's not very pleasing to witness. Plot and characters are corny, quite predictably so since a mesh of mockumentary set in war time and the namesake Frankenstein doesn't ensure gritty realism. However, as it gains momentum, the movie manages to grab my attention with some truly bizarre gory scenes.

Story follows a team of Russian recon as they ventures to a desolated village where, as the name suggests, an enigmatic army is being assembled. Unbeknownst to them, Nazi isn't the main threat to their earthly continuity as odd occurrences and clues are found along the village. The very movie itself oozes B-movie air, the old filter is a poor excuse for the muddy graphic. The main disbelief is the cast as these so-called soldiers, they lack fundamental discipline and seems to be in much disarray to be a reconnaissance team in the first place.

Costumes of the titular army are completely strange. Perhaps it tries to display a creature so close to be human but still not nearly enough to be viewed as one, but they come off like the rejects from circus or modern art gallery. One even has fan for head, at least that's a point scored for authenticity. With everything is done by CG, these real life looking monster uses their odd nature as strength. Even though there isn't much characterization or convincing plot, the latter arc is still interesting. Tension rises significantly as they face their fate and some mysteries are deciphered.

The use of gore is silly, excessively so. They applied generous amount of fake limbs and blood to various scenes. This approach is a bit shameless, but surprisingly competent later on. Its reliance of heavy gore and many plot holes throughout the movie makes it just barely a watchable horror flick. Addition of the found footage gimmick, while it has some perks, but ultimately it's not compelling enough to add anything new.

Thanks to its more vivid third act, Frankenstein's Army is a barely decent horror film.
½ January 20, 2015
Uno dei mockumentary pił originali degli ultimi anni , un consiglio da amico , vedetelo!