Friends With Kids - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Friends With Kids Reviews

½ July 21, 2017
Jennifer Westfeldt apparently loves undermining her interesting and well-observed setups with the most conventional eye-rollers of endings. This one's particularly galling in that, spoiler alert, that cynical guess you made when you saw the trailer about how this movie ends, yeah that's how it ends. I mean, on one hand I shouldn't be shocked that the writer of Kissing Jessica Stein came up with an extremely predictable (not to mention heteronormative) ending. On the other hand, I'm even more annoyed that she's done this to me twice now.
½ May 12, 2017
At first it bares a lot of resemblance to your typical pot boiler room com but it's more clever than it seems with characters behaving in more realistic ways. Very sweet with a great cast.
½ April 13, 2017
Casually misogynistic and not funny. A waste of a great cast.
February 2, 2017
It's good movie to watch
January 27, 2017
This film could have been so good. I really enjoy the writing, I just feel like Jennifer Westfeldt should have stepped back and let someone else take the role. The ending also ruins it, it was so witty then it became oddly out-of-place emotional.
½ January 8, 2017
Ennalta-arvattava, mutta ihan mukiinmenevä draamakomedia. ^_^
½ November 30, 2016
It is frustrating to see this intriguing idea and a smart first half lead to a predictable and moralizing message about love and the "importance of family" when it comes to having kids - something so clichéd that it bogs down the whole potential of its premise.
November 6, 2016
Director - writer -stars Jennifer Westfeldt. The format is that of a Rom-com but is has an interesting plot line to explore an alternative approach to parenthood. A group of friends - two conventional couples and a man - woman pair meet up in a fancy restaurant, each successful and happy with their lives and relationships. A young family turns up which gives them the opportunity to discuss children - it turns out that each couple are to have a kid. Cut to a year or two later and we see the chaos that children have brought to the couples and how fraught their relationships havebecome. The two friends look on in horror but they want a child - just not the baggage that marriage or even being a couple brings. So they decide to concieve a child and be separate parents sharing care 50-50. So can that arrangement work? This is the basis of the film as it explores the development of their relationship. Its clever and thoughful and it shows you just can't play around with parenting. It would have been better I think to come up with a less conventional conclusion.
October 13, 2016
The two main characters lacked any chemistry, and I wish they would have developed the friend group more.
½ October 8, 2016
I can't stop thinking of what Ricky Jervais said about american cinema and how it always must have a "happy" ending (more like a super conventional happy, status quo ending). This movie was really well directed, the scenes are very well set up. But the need to get the two together at the end is annoying, although I understand it provides closure. Good dialogues, good acting, casting was somewhat flawed, but an overall good movie.
½ September 2, 2016
Actually pretty good. This is an unusual romdramedy for the most part, but veers more towards convention as the film proceeds, which is a shame. However, nice dialogue, a strong hold on all the characters and a well-chosen cast keep you going throughout. Never boring.
½ June 24, 2016
So well done! Completely enticing and comedic. I thought the story and pace slowed down toward the end, but I still thoroughly enjoyed it.
June 1, 2016
Having it all
Comparing the complications of love and children

As movie houses are to want; two apparently similar movies have once again been conveniently released 'coincidentally' around the same time to battle it out for box office supremacy. Rather than producing tedious back to back reviews about the trials and tribulations of pending parenthood; just like these films, one would suffice.

What to expect when you're expecting

"Loosely based" on Heidi Murkoff and Sharon Mazel's best-selling pregnancy manual of the same title, What to expect when you're expecting is yet another ensemble-comedy rip-off of 2003's Love Actually. For a hint of originality, instead of focusing on a particular annual event (like Valentine's Day or New Year's Eve) this time producers gleefully cash in on the public's fascination with celebrity child-rearing and the everyday woes of pregnancy.

Director Kick James takes a satirical crisscrossed look at five stereotyped 'mommies' experiencing the burdens of hemorrhoids, incontinence and cankles during the nine month period of human gestation.

The expecting ladies in question; Breast Choice baby boutique owner, Wendy (Elizabeth Banks) has been desperately trying to get pregnant for two years, but once she is she struggles to maintain a shred of grace as the growing life that expected to make her 'glow' runs havoc with her bodily functions resulting in a miserable and flatulent wife-from-hell for her ever supportive biggest-loser husband Gary (Ben Falcone).

Not to be outdone, Gary's competitive ex-race car driving father, Ramsey's (Dennis Quaid) twenty-something trophy-wife, Skyler (Brooklyn Decker) is not only picture-perfect and bikini-clad carrying twins but also unjustly side-effect free.

C-Grade celebrity reality-TV health guru, Jules (Cameron Diaz) faces a career killing decision between family and fitness after shacking up with her Dancing with the stars partner Evan (Matthew Morrison) to securing viewer votes but resulting in getting her in the family way.

Food-Truck retailer, Rosie (Anna Kendrick) engages in a one night drunken dalliance with an old high school crush come recent rival travelling chef, Marco (Chase Crawford) leaving her also with a bun in the oven and them on new romantic grounds.

While Anne Geddes style photographer Holly (Jennifer Lopez) begins the arduously long process of adopting her own bundle of joy from Ethiopia, but when prompt results means the little one will arrive within just weeks her apprehensive husband, Alex (Rodrigo Santoro) is less than prepared and to gain perspective resorts to attending a "dude's club".

The candid daddy-pack (populated by comedians Chris Rock, Rob Huebel, Thomas Lennon, Amir Talai and Joe Manganiello) provides real insight into the traps and dangers of so-called bad parenting; from kids swimming in toilets to eating cigarettes, the offer the novice father a reassuring lifeline.

Although suffering a little from a generic script, lackluster direction and tonal spiking, there are some genuinely relatable moments that actually work. One particular story is, despite all odds, legitimately moving whilst a tiny cameo from our own Rebel Wilson provides expected crassness.

Friends with Kids

In her first writing/directing/starring effort since 2001's Kissing Jessica Stein, Jennifer Westfeldt delivers a nicely executed rare combination of romance and humor situated in a cleaver premise with an impressively talented ensemble cast.

Seemingly deviating from the usual; couple meet, fall in love, struggle with a hard situation then ultimately live a happy ending, this sharp and witty comedy poses intriguing social experiment questions about alternative parenting with timely relevance to modern society but eventually succumbs to tradition.

Thirty-something Manhattanities Julie (Westfeldt) and Jason (Adam Scott) aren't a couple. After twenty years of platonic friendship on opposite ends of the romantic spectrum; the duo know everything there is to know about one another, including that they would both like to have children but without the complication of a significant partner.

Warily observing the deterioration of their two sets of best friend's marriages; down-to-earth Brooklynites Leslie (Maya Rudolph) and Alex (Chris O'Dowd) have a cutesy tit-for-tat naturally mocking banter whilst the sexually driven Missy (Kristen Wiig) and Ben (John Hamm) simply can't keep cool under the collar, the introduction of children simply drains them of life, lust and likeability.

Sidestepping these pitfalls of resentment and the inevitable marriage decline, Julie and Jason come up with a better plan to fulfill their desire for procreation, each other. Agreeing to have a baby together as friends, split the child-rearing duties 50/50 whilst continuing to date other people, they believe that without being romantically linked they can avoid ending up as miserable as their friends.

Confounding everyone, their alternating-evening jealousy-free arrangement actually works. Jason meets his physical no-strings attached ideal in the stunning Broadway dancer Maryjane (Megan fox) while Julie finds sensitive Mr. Perfect single-dad Kurt (Edward burns). But when the eight friends share a snowy New Year's Vermont escape some personal questions are raised that hit a little close to home.

Can raising a child with one person and finding companionship and passion in another really result in a smoother life? Or does it hold its own set of complications?

Westfeldt and Scott do share a believable chemistry, however Westfeldt's natural vulnerability leaves her character insipid while Scott's flitting between a jerky emotional-ameba and compassionate white-knight is frustratingly plot contrived.

Woefully underutilized, Wiig, Ham, Rudolph and O'Dowd's compelling and highly relatable characters never get the chance to engage as the director's agenda to convince viewers that each generation is innovative in their belief that they have some unprecedented insight into how to make life perfect results in yet another formulaic indie film.

The Verdict: In the end these movies are extremely different. WTEWYE is a light-hearted and unashamedly superficial comedy that broaches some of the less-sensitive topics about conceiving, delivering, adopting, and raising children; while Friends with kids is a more mature and heart-felt dramady exploring the concept of the alternative-family and weather platonic love must inevitably evolve to meet social convention.

Published: The Queanbeyan Age
Date of Publication: 15/06/2012
½ March 13, 2016
The moral of the story would have been picture perfect if it hadn't been for the ending. The message was lost by placing sexual investment over commitment.
January 23, 2016
Dinner and a movie with my <3 We shall see what we gain from this movie, lol. Hope its a goodie.
½ January 3, 2016
sum this movie in one sentece: this is When Harry Met Sally with kid. :))
but I love it because I'm so into stories like friends become lovers. :)
October 24, 2015
Can't wait to see this!
September 16, 2015
Solidly entertaining with enough emotion: the central two characters were mostly well presented and interesting, there was something I found hard to buy into but only slightly, however the sideline characters were less well done. Some of the humour didn't quite do it for me but other parts made me cackle. I enjoyed it but I don't think it's one I'll be rushing to see again.
June 8, 2015
Funny, cute and poignant even if it is a bit predictable. Good performances by the main cast.