Frost/Nixon Reviews

• May 25, 2019

STRENGTHS: Amazing performances and some snappy camerawork. I really was on the edge of my seat during the final interview, that's a big indicator of a films quality. WEAKNESSES: Like Vice and Tonya, this film went for a half documentary-half film which I think really muddles the tone. Perhaps choosing one and sticking with it may have bumped it up a rating.

• Mar 27, 2019

Powerful, true movie. Loved it!

Powerful, true movie. Loved it!

• Feb 12, 2019

Frost/Nixon is in my opinion a really good film. Really good acting especially Frank Langella as Richard Nixon. In my opinion he played Nixon greatly and made me personally believe that he could be the real Nixon. Very good cinematography with some really good shots. Very good set design with some very good scenery. Very good makeup that puts them in that era and makes them look like there real life characters. good music by Hans Zimmer. Very emotional at points especially toward the end. Some good comedy more toward the beginning. The film also has a very good style that fits into the 70s era. Really good and gripping story. Really good editing especially with the interviews. Great dialogue that is spoken very clear and really well done. The film also has great atmosphere especially the interviews. Over all I give it a 8/10 - worth paying for two tickets

• Feb 06, 2019

Top 10: 1. Citizen Kane (1941) 2. The Dark Knight (2008) 3. Raiders Of The Lost Ark (1981) 4. The Godfather (1972) 5. Schindler's List (1993) 6. The Birth Of A Nation (1915) 7. Pulp Fiction (1994) 8. Do The Right Thing (1989) 9. King Kong (1933) 10. Fantasia (1940)

• Feb 05, 2019

Great film adaptation of the play by the same name - wonderful to see Frank Langella and Michael Sheen's performance preserved and available to a wider audience than Broadway theatergoers.

• Jan 16, 2019

Frost/Nixon is a perfect snapshot of a moment in history where every word counts and lives are changed with each word. I would highly suggest you watch the David Frost original interview and know some small things about Nixon to get the full joy of this film though it is not required. Frost is a television persona who wants to make the big splash as a interviewer and pays big money to have an exclusive with x-president Nixon. Thinking Frost is an easy interview Nixon takes him on. Frost has everything to loose and Nixon has everything to gain. While American media does not take Frost seriously the British television host must now prove that he can be a foil to a x-president looking to avoid guilt. Thanks to the performances the film is engaging, and fast paced. Frank Langella is great as Nixon and for some moments you almost feel sorry for him even though you don't want to. Michael Sheen is perfectly cast as Frost. You question at many points in the film if Sheen is a worthy opposite to Langella and in the end he comes out triumphantly. Watch this film. If you love it and are interested in the depth and complications of Richard Nixon see Oliver Stone's Nixon next.

• Sep 01, 2018

more than "news" to ears.. Frost/Nixon Frost/Nixon is a character driven political drama about an interview that changes the life of a president whose controversies led him to leave the political career. As much as brilliant Howard's cast is, not all of them delivers or even justifies the script with their performance. The urge of his, to cast that resonates a lot to the actual personas is both pro and con since it barrs the feature on performance level and on the other hand, the environment created in here feels real and that's saying a lot. As mentioned, the crisp is alive and pulsating on screen that cuts deeper than ever among the characters and the palpable tone offered to them. Howard's structure as always follows a textbook equation, but it is done with such panache in here that it may remind you of "A Beautiful Mind". The writing is smarter, adaptive and gripping with layered dialogues and fine polishing of the script that keeps it short and to the point. It may be short on technical aspects like background score and art designing but has a fine cinematography. It is shot nicely with decent camera work that brings out the best from each frame. Langella has never been better in his portrayal and so is Sheen with an impressive work and support by Bacon, Rockwell, Platt and Hall. Morgan's screenplay is layered and is justified aptly by Howard's execution skills that communicates unflinchingly with the viewers. The detailed research done by the makers, the three part interview and Langella's performance at the heart of it are the high points of the feature. Frost/Nixon is an essentially well crafted act as much as it is politically, and since it speaks volume through character's perspective, it is more than "news" to ears.

• Jul 12, 2018

History recreated for modern digestion. Ron Howard directs yet another one of his cinematic masterpieces with Frost/Nixon. Howard effortlessly recreates the Nixon administration and the surrounding environment with which he resigned. Howard insists on the importance of Nixon's corruption and it is evident in Frost/Nixon. The framing of these conversations are immaculate. Howard easily takes the audience through many notable historical events and intricate sequences rendered accessible thanks to his streamlined direction. The pacing is so fast and engaging that the plot is always understandable and the viewing experience is always pleasant. Frost/Nixon takes the time and effort to do its research in set design, costume design, accurate accents, accurate information, meticulous movements of characters to make them more true to their real life personas. Peter Morgan's screenplay is as nuanced and detailed as any film's script can be written. Michael Sheen is so deep and complex as the television host David Frost. He balances Frost's playboy nature with the seriousness of his situation. Frank Langella is peerless as President Richard Nixon. He captures Nixon's self assured nature and self serving attitude. Langella as nails Nixon's accent and facial tendencies as well as his penchant for historical knowledge flaunting. Frost/Nixon's cast is incredible front to back. Furthermore, Frost/Nixon's supporting cast is so passionate and impressive. I am particularly impressed by Kevin Bacon, Toby Jones, and Sam Rockwell's acting. They portrayal real men with a level of respect and honesty rare in historical dramas about more controversial figures. Lastly, Hans Zimmer composed a wonderful score to Frost/Nixon. He understates the tone for each scene with inquisitive musical cues to build a sense of suspense. Frost/Nixon's atmosphere largely stems from his beautiful score. In all, Frost/Nixon persists as an accurate depiction of Nixon's final moments in the spotlight of American history. We witness a complete recreation of the most turbulent times in the history of the American Presidency. Frost/Nixon is just an awesome film!

• Jul 12, 2018

I did enjoy this film and it represents the time period well. I think in hindsight it doesn't particularly have any standout moments but i would definitely say it's worth watching at least once.

• Jul 02, 2018

This movie got positive reviews, and I wanted to like it, but I just couldn't see what the praise was about. The characters are shallowly conceived - I'm sure the real David Frost is much more than the irritatingly false toothy grin he's given in the movie, and the real Richard Nixon, whether you liked his politics or not, was more than the elephant seal portrayed by Frank Langella. The essential conflict in the film was quite simple and predictable. The members of David Frost's research team are defined solely by their professional or ideological goals, and have no depth beyond that. The whole thing feels like a made-for-TV movie. I never saw the play, but it *must* have been more interesting and sophisticated than this simplistic piece of period-piece fluff. The film makes me curious about whether this plastic bead made by Ron Howard came from a pearl.