Fruitvale Station - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Fruitvale Station Reviews

April 12, 2018
I really enjoyed how this was organized and paced out. It's one day (and a flashback) in the life of a man of color trying to recover from past mistakes in a racist country. Despite Oscar's fluctuating day (not including its grim conclusion), the movie had an slightly odd yet strongly engaging pace that allows us to see the potential of a man trying to make ends meet and do right by the people in his life.
April 3, 2018
Going in I didn't realise this was based on a true story of a US Police shooting. Even so, the cold open of the (what I now know is real) phone footage of the incident makes your blood run cold. The film then sets in motion in a straightforward portrayal of Oscar as a man. It doesn't shy away from his faults and it doesn't portray him as a victim. It's a real story, but all the while you know it's heading for disaster. Tonally it reminded me of classics like 'La Haine', high praise indeed. The ending is heartbreaking, B. Jordan adds another great film to his back catalogue. Excellent film, I'm on a run of good films art the moment, can't last!
½ March 24, 2018
I was baddly surprised after this boring movie
½ March 17, 2018
There likely won't be a more thematically relevant film in 2013 than Fruitvale Station, which coincidentally opened theatrically the same weekend as the Trayvon Martin decision. The story and wrongful death of Oscar Grant bears eerie similarities to Martin, as does the lack of justice in either case, but the film largely eschews politics to instead focus on the final 24 hours of Oscar's life. Michael B. Jordan turns in an awards worthy performance, rooting Oscar in a humanity that shows both his faults and good qualities, while the rest of the cast is fantastic as well. It's also a powerful debut for first time filmmaker Ryan Coogler, who for the most part expertly avoids being manipulative in a story you already know the ending to and one as emotionally charged as it is. While it might not go as far as some would have liked, Fruitvale Station instead is more concerned with the personal tragedy of a 22-year-old life taken long before it should have. The aftermath, and why our justice and law enforcement systems continually allow things like this to happen, it leaves to the audience.
½ March 12, 2018
Possibly the best film to debut at Sundance since Reservoir Dogs.
March 11, 2018
Great heart feeling movie starring Michael b Jordan and directed by Ryan coogler.
March 10, 2018
Excellent film about a man whose life ended to soon. we get to see his postive and negative sides of the man.
½ February 22, 2018
Puntaje Original: 5.5

Un tipo milagrosamente heróico en un argumento que tiende a una exageración para sus fines dramáticos.
February 10, 2018
Cannot believe that this movie was r
ated so high. One of the worst movies that I have ever given a chance to watch. I am a white man simply saying that this is a horrible movie! I am a second generation Hungarian male(white), and have never had any breaks in life. We are all getting fucked over by Government. Most of America's workers cannot find a decent job, but the character in this movie deserves to not get his job back when asking. Sucks that you pussy ass critics cannot simply say that a movie sucks Ass without worrying about racial tension! This movie was fucking terrible.
½ January 25, 2018
Ryan Coogler's Fruitvale Station is very emotional movie with strong performances from Michael B Jordan and Octavia Spencer.
½ September 29, 2017
It's a good and infuriating story of yet another gross American injustice. To its credit it does not go overlong. To it's further credit, it shows a lot of the faults of the victim and does not make him out to be a total saint (although there were a few saintly details thrown in that did not feel true - such as the death of the dog and his reaction to it). I'll say 7.4 out of 10.
August 17, 2017
GREG: (Greg Smith, Founder of Agile Writers of Richmond, VA) Scott, in this special edition of Reel Heroes we comment on a different kind of film brought to us by writer/director Ryan Cooger and producers Forest Whitaker and Octavia Spencer.

SCOTT: (Dr. Scott Allison, Professor of Psychology, University of Richmond) Yes indeed. Today we re sharing our thoughts about a new film called Fruitvale Station, which doesn t aim at all to be a summer blockbuster. Instead, its goal is to share the details of the tragic story about a young man s life and senseless death.

GREG: At Reel Heroes we rate movies on two scales: we award Reels for entertainment value and Heroes for the adherence to classic hero paradigms. Fruitvale Station breaks the mold of both scales. It doesn t aim to entertain as much as inform. The lead character is not a classical hero. Instead, he is an everyman who has made a decision to change his life and is cut down before he can act on his choices. Rather than try and fit Fruitvale Station to our usual forms, we have elected to comment on the film and how it affected us, giving the film the attention and criticism it deserves.

SCOTT: Fruitvale Station begins by introducing us to a young man named Oscar Grant (Michael B. Jordan), who lives in Oakland, California. Oscar is married to Sophina (Melonie Diaz) and has an adorable young daughter named Tatiana (Ariana Neal). We learn many things about Oscar, including the fact that he has served time in prison, that he has cheated on his wife, and that he is about to lose his job for being chronically late. But we also learn that he adores his wife and child, he has many friends, and he is a devoted son to his mother Wanda (Octavia Spencer).

GREG: I felt hesitant approaching a review of this movie. I m a middle-aged white suburbanite. I wasn t sure that I could relate to a 22-year-old black man living in urban California. But that is what Fruitvale Station does best - it makes the story of Oscar Grant relatable. Director Cooger takes us step-by-step through Grant s last day of life. We learn that he s lost his job, his sister depends on him for financial assistance, his 4-year-old daughter adores him, and he dearly loves her, his girlfriend loves him and so does his mother. In short, we come to learn that Grant has all the things in his life that we all have in ours: he has people he loves and people who love him.

SCOTT: You re right, Greg. There s no way that you and I can appreciate just how difficult it is to be a young black man in this country. But this movie does its best to bring those challenges to life and, at times, shove them brutally right in our face. The movie portrays Oscar as a man with a good heart who genuinely wants to improve his life, and a flashback scene to his earlier prison days truly underscores his personal growth and maturity since that time. Michael B. Jordan does an outstanding job of giving Oscar s life a sweet yet jarring reality. And of course we re appalled at the utter senselessness of Oscar s death. We know the death is coming and it s painful watching the scene unfold in tragic and tearful detail.

GREG: As entertainment, the movie falls flat. It proceeds from event to event, plodding along without the extreme high or low points that a normal drama would have. There were times when I felt bored. And there were times when I thought I knew what would come next. There s a point in the film where Oscar is completely down. He s broke, people around him need his financial help, and he turns to the one thing he has in abundance: weed. I expected him to solve his problems by skirting the law again. But when his buyer is late to the deal, Oscar reconsiders and dumps the whole package into the bay. This is the point where we realize Oscar has really taken stock of his life and made a decision to make a change. I m not much more aware of life in the shoes of young urban black men now than I was at the beginning of Fruitvale Station. But I am more keenly aware of how every man s life has irreplaceable value. There are people who depend on each of us. There are people who care about us. Fruitvale Station reminds us that each and every one of us is capable of redemption and deserves respect.

SCOTT: Greg, I thought that Fruitvale Station did a good job of giving us an up-close and personal look at the life of a young man whose growing potential was snuffed out tragically. If I had a problem with the film, it is based on my cynicism about its purpose. Yes, we need to know about the life of Oscar Grant and how a white man ended it (and got away with it) through either sheer incompetence or brutal malice. But most African-American shooting victims come at the hands of other African-Americans. Surely there are many, many more Oscar Grants who die in a black-on-black crime and whose stories also need to be told. And yet they won t be told because black-on-black crime is not an issue that our country wants to confront as aggressively as white-on-black crime. In my opinion, the stories of all innocent victims of gun deaths need to be told, regardless of the race of the victims or the perpetrators. The story of Oscar Grant saddens me deeply, and I hope it does more than divide our already racially divided country even more. My hope is that the movie can inspire positive, constructive changes so as to prevent such tragedies from happening in the future. If Fruitvale Station can help achieve that goal, then it is a film well worth watching.

GREG:
½ August 10, 2017
A powerful movie... just sad that this stii continues even more frequently
August 5, 2017
I had this uneasy feeling in my stomach the entire time. Knowing the outcome of events increased my eased feeling through out the film.
June 18, 2017
An emotionally and powerful performance from Michael B. Jordan portraying a man who lost his life on New year's eve of 2009.
June 5, 2017
A very sad and true story ...
May 10, 2017
Very inspirational and shows how police aren't very trustworthy
½ April 10, 2017
It was a powerful movie with great performances. I love how they showed Oscar grant as a good guy with a sorted history in staying out of trouble trying to imorove his life and still a work in progress with his family. It's a tearjerker but also a must see!
½ March 31, 2017
the only complaint I have with Fruitvale station is that they show what actually happens in the beginning of the movie, they open the movie with it and you're like what do I have to look forward to, but besides that this movie is great, the story is great and Michael B. Jordan is fantastic in it
March 24, 2017
A passionate cast and well put together script make for a compelling piece of film.