Fruitvale Station - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Fruitvale Station Reviews

½ August 10, 2017
A powerful movie... just sad that this stii continues even more frequently
August 5, 2017
I had this uneasy feeling in my stomach the entire time. Knowing the outcome of events increased my eased feeling through out the film.
June 18, 2017
An emotionally and powerful performance from Michael B. Jordan portraying a man who lost his life on New year's eve of 2009.
June 5, 2017
A very sad and true story ...
May 10, 2017
Very inspirational and shows how police aren't very trustworthy
½ April 10, 2017
It was a powerful movie with great performances. I love how they showed Oscar grant as a good guy with a sorted history in staying out of trouble trying to imorove his life and still a work in progress with his family. It's a tearjerker but also a must see!
½ March 31, 2017
the only complaint I have with Fruitvale station is that they show what actually happens in the beginning of the movie, they open the movie with it and you're like what do I have to look forward to, but besides that this movie is great, the story is great and Michael B. Jordan is fantastic in it
March 24, 2017
A passionate cast and well put together script make for a compelling piece of film.
½ March 10, 2017
Good, but it would have been better if they didn't tell you the end at the beginning. Knowing he was going to die from the start ruins the movie.
February 28, 2017
My favorite movie of 2013. Excellent.
February 25, 2017
Ryan Coogler's directorial debut is so passionate and powerful. The last thirty minuets will leave you so angry and sad for days after viewing. Michael B. Jordan is amazing and shows that he can hit the very dramatic notes. Not a movie for the faint of heart because this movie can break you.
February 4, 2017
Fruitvale Station is a passionate, timely and realistic drama that honors the life and death of its protagonist and serves as a warning for institutionalized racism.
January 10, 2017
The Michael B. Jordan and Ryan Coogler collaborations begin here with a touching true story that needed to be told.
January 2, 2017
What a great and powerful true story this is. This pisses me off that black people are treated the way they are. We all bleed the same blood and we are all human. This film had really got to me and how disgusting humans really far and can be!!!
December 31, 2016
Ever hear or read of an actor giving a "riveting!" performance?

Well, what is meant by that?
What is riveted to whom?
Michael B. Jordan had me riveted to his roller coaster ride of emotional intensity. The rivets were the fasteners with which he had me connected to every nuance of Oscar's deep empathy for the suffering of others, all the raw scary edges, his threateningly murderous rageful anger when feeling cheated and abused, and his extreme charm and charisma when really "on" and getting over in a hard world, and being normal, himself, with family and friends. Seductive in the most wholesome version of the ability to really connect in a moment, to us and the other characters. Some really wonderful scenes with other actors, like in jail talking to Octavia Spencer as Mom. A very powerful scene. Oscar is all over the map in blinks of the eye.
This was a masterful performance.

The movie is a very fine and lucid character study of Oscar Grant.
Michael B. Jordan makes him a very complex but ultimately lovable sweet young man. This is the foundation of a very effective tragedy. Plus I had expected the structure of be the classic circular bookends. It could have easily ended with the within reenactment of what we see in the opening phone video and been a masterpiece, an artful, and a socially righteous drama.
But it did not end in the scene at the station. We ride out the dark ripples at the tragedy as they repeatedly roll over, mom (Octavia Spencer), mate (Melonie Diaz), her daugher, and everyone. And with them we feel these tragic waves hit us watching, again and again.
This is a great movie.
½ November 12, 2016
I thought they did a really good job of telling the story without trying to make it a one-sided, anti-police story. Michael B. Jordan was excellent in playing Oscar Grant, and the good/bad that went along with the character.
October 29, 2016
Heartbreaking, poignant and relevant.
½ October 14, 2016
Career making performance by Michael B. Jordan. A heartbreaking and eye opening film.
September 10, 2016
Awesome movie and very needing in this time of racism and injustice. Kapernick motives are deep within this movie. Disproportionately black folks are targeted a large percentage more than any other race and Mexicans coming in a close second.
September 5, 2016
This movie was so intense, so real, and so sad. Michael B. Jordan was unforgettable as Oscar Grant. The cast were all superb. The fact the movie did not try to make a statement about Police over-reaction, made it so muc better. The BART Police are known for being tough, but this time, they went too far. Fruitvale station is a stop that obviously the BART Police are concerned about, but to act in the manner they did, was way over the top. It was a brawl and was over by the time BART cops arrived. The BART police worked each other into a frenzy which resulted in this cop killing Oscar on the ground handcuffed. They prejudged the participants before they even started rounding them up on the platform. Being a cop is not an easy job, but we got to start making sure these guys/girls are ready for stuff like this. Adrenaline gets in the way of judgment, and this is what sometimes happen. A film i wont ever forget...