Full Frontal - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Full Frontal Reviews

½ July 31, 2016
Soderbergh is so busy trying to create his movie-within-a-movie -- and, in at least one instance, his movie-within- a-movie-within -a-movie -- that he botches the enclosing movie.
March 14, 2015
Steven Soderbergh's "Full Frontal" is insanely misunderstood. It's deliberately confusing and unapologetically experimental. They experiment with narrative, cinematography, acting and dialogue and editing. This is Soderbergh's send up to pretentious Hollywood. I really don't see how that couldn't be any clearer with it's purposefully messy cinematography, reality questioning film within a film plot and it's "Hitler" character. The movie is full of zany, truthful characters (especially Catherine Keener and David Hyde Pierce) and juicy, wacky monologues (Keener scores here again). It's a sort of post-modernist take on Robert Altman. I thought it was a lot of fun but I can certainly understand the universal hate, though it's not called for.
½ July 26, 2014
they keep losing my review-grrrr
½ January 5, 2014
Full Frontal est la version riche de Schizopolis. Plus long (un poil trop), encore plus provocateur, avec encore moins de sens, le film est une fabuleuse plongee hilarante et passionnant dans l'esprit nebuleux de Steven Soderbergh, bien aide par des acteurs excellents (Blair Underwood, Julia Roberts) et des cameos fantastiques (David Fincher, Brad Pitt et autres Jeff Garlin dans le role d'Harvey Weinstein) qui ne font qu'accentuer la qualite de l'entreprise. Un grand film trop meconnu.
½ January 3, 2014
Soderbergh has decided to take a break from his big Hollywood blockbuster/money maker mainstream films to direct this tiny budget, small essay of a film. It's an honest effort but this film feels completely pointless in the end. It stars a lot of great actors but it's more a curiosity than a real entertainment.
October 7, 2013
I watched this movie with my father (Apparently, he misunderstood the title as Julia Roberts doing a "Full Frontal") This movie was a living migraine. Either that, or it was the brain freeze I got from the theater slushy. Poor filming in areas and confusing seen shifts made this the hardest movies to live through. Avoid, if possible. Though, I may still buy the DVD so I can show mom that Julia Roberts did do a bad movie. (She claims JR never did a bad one)
½ July 14, 2013
The best you can say about Full Frontal, an ensemble piece that flirts with ideas about illusion and reality, is that the movie qualifies as a failed experiment.
June 17, 2013
I'll Shoot On High-Definition Video Rather Than 35mm Film, I'll Use The Panavision Genesis To Shoot All Of My Feature-Length Films Which I Wrote And Directed Under My Film Directing Name ''David East'', I'll Photographed All Them Digitally Under My Director Of Photography Name ''Carl Manners'', And I'll Edit All Of Them With An Apple Final Cut Pro X Under My Film Editor Name ''Peter Pierce''.
May 20, 2013
Steven Soderbergh's body of work is varied and always, ALWAYS worth watching. This is one of my favourite movies of all time - if you didn't like it, you just didn't get it!
½ April 19, 2013
One of Soderbergh's more forgettable films.
½ March 14, 2013
That was weird. Inter-tangled relationships and "film within a film" ... I think.

Has a number of big names in it playing roles or as themselves.
cosmo313
January 28, 2013
When you have been working for many years, and are one of the most versatile and prolific filmmakers out there, it only seems inevitable that eventually you'll produce a work that's bad, if not almost totally awful.

That is the case here with this mess from Steven Soderbergh.

Shot primarily on digital, this is a loose ensemble piece executed in a manner loosely based on the Dogma 95 movement, as well as the French New Wave to an extent.

We get multiple threads following a bunch of people all invited to the party of a mutual friend. We weave in and out of these various subplots, but the one that seems to linger the most involves an actor and actress working on a movie directed by David Fincher and starring Brad Pitt (who both appear as themselves). Throughout the movie we are treated to this film within a film as well.

I really wanted to like this, not just because it's Soderbergh, but because of its reputation. I'm sorry to say that I'm going with the crowd on this one. Sometimes I like loose, breezy plot-light films ,but here it's just dull, meandering, and pretentious. It also really looks like crap, being shot on digital and all, and it's more frustrating since the film within the film is shot to look like a regular movie, making it distracting.

I'm also okay with movies that blur the line between reality and not, but here it's just an incoherent mess.

The actors make it worth it, hence why my grade isn't lower, and I do like the playful jabs at Fincher's obsessive compulsion to shoot take after take, but bottom line, I'm just gonna chalk this one up to being a nice idea that just fell apart.

Some of this is interesting, and if it were shorter, it'd be a little easier to swallow, but in the end, I'm just gonna thank everyone from trying, and hope they learn their lesson.
December 7, 2012
On paper, the plot of 'Full Frontal' is relatively complex and to a degree, interesting. The resulting "Film-inside-a-film", while to a point enjoyably meta and creative, ends up being nothing more than a skewed, overly fragmented, and poorly shot, low quality mockumentary which (poorly) attempts to plum the depths of the underworld inherent within the industry.

Final Grade: D+
October 24, 2012
A light-hearted piece with a superb Catherine Keener performance.
½ July 14, 2012
Absolute rubbish. Incoherent. I kept wondering how these a list actors were compelled to participate in this crap, and felt annoyed they let their good names be used to mislead me into waisting an hour and forty minutes. Oddly and furthermore, the first listed is duchovny, then Katt, but it really stars Blair underwood, Catherine keener and Julia Roberts, followed by the rest, with duchovny last.
½ July 12, 2012
The only truly bad Sodebergh movie.
½ June 27, 2012
With an interesting premise that messes about with the viewer's perception of reality, this is a difficult movie to pin down. Steven Soderbergh was able to assemble a stellar cast for this experiment, only spending 18 days on filming and adhering to Lars Von Trier's Dogme 95 rulebook. And no, there is no full frontal.
June 20, 2012
Smart, funny, mysterious, and playful. Beautifully complex performances and the best portrayal, by far, of HItler ever. And then the ending happens.
½ June 15, 2012
This movie was horrible! and yes, misleading on the whole David Duchovony...Such a waste of time!
½ June 12, 2012
Soderbergh's least successful film, in which very little works. At all. On top of that, what a CHORE to sit through... what an absolute bore...