Gabrielle Reviews

• May 15, 2015

Patrice Chéreau works cinematic and theatrical magic in this reworking of Joseph Conrad. Stylistic and almost operatic study of a marriage forged in Hell and where the most cruel action is simply to return to it. Brilliant and highly underrated film art.

• Apr 16, 2013

Impresionante Isabelle Huppert.....

Impresionante Isabelle Huppert.....

• Nov 19, 2011

Dark, real and fabulously constructed. From the story The Return by Joseph Conrad. You will be turning it over in your mind for days after.

• Nov 15, 2011

isabelle huppert is so fine

isabelle huppert is so fine

• Apr 07, 2011

Hardcore intense drama. A little slow, but I loved it :)

Hardcore intense drama. A little slow, but I loved it :)

• Feb 15, 2010

(***): Thumbs Up A bit tough to watch at times but I thought Huppert gave a great performance here.

John B Super Reviewer
    Jan 13, 2010

This one finally popped up as being available on DVD a couple of years ago so I finally tracked it down. Was disappointed. It wasn't compelling enough compared to other period pieces.

• Oct 19, 2009

Another exellent film by this director. Huppert is stunning.

Another exellent film by this director. Huppert is stunning.

• Aug 06, 2009

Intriguing usage of color to convey concept and emotion.

Intriguing usage of color to convey concept and emotion.

• Jul 16, 2009

Very intense and emotional. Not for the casual movie fan.

Very intense and emotional. Not for the casual movie fan.