Gabrielle - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Gabrielle Reviews

½ May 15, 2015
Patrice Chéreau works cinematic and theatrical magic in this reworking of Joseph Conrad. Stylistic and almost operatic study of a marriage forged in Hell and where the most cruel action is simply to return to it. Brilliant and highly underrated film art.
April 16, 2013
Impresionante Isabelle Huppert.....
December 7, 2012
Worth finding and watching!
½ November 20, 2011
Dark, real and fabulously constructed. From the story The Return by Joseph Conrad. You will be turning it over in your mind for days after.
November 15, 2011
isabelle huppert is so fine
April 7, 2011
Hardcore intense drama. A little slow, but I loved it :)
February 15, 2010
(***): Thumbs Up

A bit tough to watch at times but I thought Huppert gave a great performance here.
January 13, 2010
This one finally popped up as being available on DVD a couple of years ago so I finally tracked it down. Was disappointed. It wasn't compelling enough compared to other period pieces.
October 19, 2009
Another exellent film by this director. Huppert is stunning.
August 6, 2009
Intriguing usage of color to convey concept and emotion.
July 16, 2009
Very intense and emotional. Not for the casual movie fan.
August 9, 2008
Kind of slow movie about adultery. Interesting cinematography.
½ August 2, 2008
This should never have been put on the screen in my opinion, or at least not in this form by this director. It is far better suited to the stage as it is basically a chamber drama with a good script. Chereau definitely failed to flesh this short story out into a fully-fledged feature film in my opinion. He doesnâ??t quite give us enough to make it engaging. Itâ??s reasonably well done for its type, but I just wasnâ??t being drawn into it for some reason. It has some very incisive lines such as the one involving sperm. It is a good film and one I find interesting, but it would certainly be less so if not for Huppert. She is the sole reason I was interested in seeing this chamber picture. She is one of my favorite current actresses and makes any movie more than worth watching.
½ March 15, 2008
Not that brilliant in fact! but worth a look
½ March 11, 2008
Bitterly, this is very depressing movie among with two strong actors, but I'm highly honor Isabelle Huppurt for her role. She's never getting better. Just never. She's perfect as crystal. This movie reveals dark romance, well kind of bitchy romance... It will emotionally charges you with intense and bit of spicy tension... It's dark beautiful done!
March 10, 2008
This is what a romance film should be like. Real drama involving the idea of what love really is. Isabelle Huppert is beyond great in this piece of work. I got lost in their relationship and left this movie gasping for air. Open your minds and watch.
February 20, 2008
I always hear this criticism about this film -I dont sympathise with the characters. I dont care about them-. I cant imagine why. Havent you ever had a very long break-up conversation and not actually wanting it but cant find a way out of it even in your own mind. The main male character is experiencing typically that. His desperate attempt to forgive his wife and partly failing is so human. And Hupperts arrogance (nobody acts arrogance as good as Huppert) out of deep depression is also a great observation on relationships and psychology. Specially, the horrific laughter of her when he said -I forgive you- was the peak for the film for me. I would put this film in a -Romantic Thriller- genre. Also, it has a Vilhelm Hammershoi painting like atmosphere and extremely stylish.
February 14, 2008
Pointless melodrama. This is a film about a wife who has an affair because her husband is uptight and she doesn't love him. He finds out, they row about it a lot. This idea is explored more interestingly in soaps every evening. The script and direction tries so hard to be artful and poetic it hurts. It randomly goes black and white, or blares out in overexposure, or freezes with an annoying caption describing the character's feeelings. it is well-acted though, you certainly can't fault Isabelle Hubbert who is as graceful as ever. And it occasionally sparks interest when exploring the couple's claustrophobic relationship with their troupe of servants. Like most dinner parties (about which this film revolves) it is tedious and full of unbearable people.
February 10, 2008
Here is Huppert again playing an adulterous wife (La séparation springs to mind) who leaves her husband only to return a few hours later but seemingly devoid of any remorse. The interaction between husband and wife is incredible and the build up in tension into the inevitable consequences of her affair is truly gripping.