Galaxy Quest Reviews

• 5d ago

Wonderful film with tons of laughs! I hadn't watched this in a bit, but it was great to see some really great actors at the top of their game. You can just tell they had a blast making this film. I would really love to have seen the rumored R-rated version they originally conceived it to be.

• Aug 05, 2020

We just watched it (library DVD) for probably the fifth time. It's everything we want in a movie: a great send-up of a genre that has something new to say; smart, funny, exciting, involving, with multifaceted characters (even the villain!) you care about. The premise, plot, screenplay, direction, portrayals, pacing, editing, special effects, music -- we wish they'd make more movies like this!

• Aug 05, 2020

A Star Trek spoof with a heart of gold. Every cliche you can think of is lampooned here, and a lot of it is really funny. The casting, even though it seems odd, works really well. Tool Time Tim as the captain? Alien-busting Sigorney Weaver as the damsel in distress? And yet... it works pretty well. And as it turns out, the characters who never grew up - Tim Allen and his fans, including the naive Thermians - end up being the heros or the film! Sure, there is lots of cheese here and the special effects are aging, but that adds to the light hearted tone.

• Aug 04, 2020

A rare balance between poking fun at and simultaneously respecting its subject matter. From the hammy cast, to the heartfelt themes and endlessly quotable dialogue, this movie is an absolute joy to watch.

• Jul 21, 2020

Really good watch, would watch again, and can recommend, especially for Star Trek fans. This has a sufficiently high production value, but I think a lot of the budge went to hiring the cast, and building the locations, especially the ship. It's probably the chief reason why (at least I feel it is the case) people have wanted to do spoofs of Star Trek since the original series, but only "Galaxy Quest" and "The Orville" have really made the attempt. Usually the reaction is to take it in its own serious direction, like Babylon 5, and even "The Orville" lands in between. I think my favorite aspect of this movie is that it's actually very similar to "The Invention of Lying" where not only does an alien race build a starship, hands it to Terrans, and then we just keep up the ruse so we can have a starship. While I think the more interesting aspect is the same things that we see in "Star Trek": the interactions between xenos and Terrans and the reflective aspects of humanity, the audience is quickly reminded that it's a comedy throughout the movie. Everyone of the actors is funny, there's even a young Justin Long here, and while there is sufficient action / drama to move the story forward with some substance, it's the comedy that you're going to remember here. Alan Rickman and Tim Allen fighting, Sigourney Weaver translating from human to ship, and general awkwardness of situation. It's a good watch, and I think that whether or not you're a fan of "Star Trek", then I think there is something at which you can laugh.

• Jul 18, 2020

Galaxy Quest Pros: Fantastic Acting Amazing Directing Sharp Writing Great Cinematography Solid Editing Strong Pacing Excellent Production Values (Sets, Costumes, Makeup, etc.) Filled with tons of well-timed and expertly-constructed jokes and satire towards the sci-fi genre while also respecting it at the same time Most of the special effects still hold up Good Storytelling Cons: Some of the special effects look a little bit dated, but not by too much Overall Grade: A (9.5/10)

• Jul 16, 2020

Just a dumb and funny movie

Just a dumb and funny movie

• Jul 08, 2020

Truly the best film that honors the fans, stars, and the movies of Star Trek. It even plays on the series, DSNG, and has a wiz kid. It crosses all boundaries, all the movies, series, and some other Sci Fi universes. I also think it is the best definition of why these show and movies were so popular, how they build a fan base, and the interaction between the stars and fans. It is truly an inciteful movie on every level. "Live Long and Prosper." On top of all of that, it tells its own story that fans have wished had a sequel for years. They really could have started their own franchise that we all would have loved. Oh, and, Sigourny!!!! SHE IS HOT IN HERE AND SO VERY VERY SWEET! Wow, definitely not Ripley here.

• Jul 04, 2020

In my top 100 movies of all-time!

In my top 100 movies of all-time!

• Jul 04, 2020

An absolute classic with great and deeply funny performances from all.

An absolute classic with great and deeply funny performances from all.