Gates of Heaven Reviews

• Oct 20, 2020

One of the best documentaries of all time.

One of the best documentaries of all time.

• Carlos M Super Reviewer
    Oct 15, 2018

A simple film that proves you can make a documentary about just about anything, and even if Morris doesn't seem that eager to tell us any of this, he finds a strange beauty in the mundane, especially as he shows us how someone's dream curiously became someone else's family business.

• Sep 24, 2018

If this film doesn't open your eyes about the human condition, you're wasting your time on sites like this.

• Jun 18, 2018

Perfect example of the documentary style where you get people talking, and just let them keep talking, in the process uncovering a wider and much more interesting story than you set out to gather.

• Dec 02, 2016

One of the best documentaries ever made, Gates of Heaven speaks for itself.

One of the best documentaries ever made, Gates of Heaven speaks for itself.

• Sep 22, 2015

When I saw Gates of Heaven, I could not help but think of the Aardman short, Creature Comforts, which is an animated faux documentary about the life of zoo animals. I know Nick Park's short is satire of documentaries, but what of this film from Errol Morris? Does he look down on the people he interviews, or does he symphatize with them and their feelings for their lost pets? It may be both as he interviews the people who own or house pets at Bubbling Well Pet Memorial Park, and those who owned the 2 cemeteries in the film. It is pure documentary in someways, as its everything you would think of when you think of a film like this. It has great moments of inspiration and interview from the character, who feel like characters but real. It holds your attention easily as each interview unfolds with characters speaking plainly in prose. I think it is a touching and great movie, that is about life as much as death, how we cope and why we care. Highly Recommended

• Aug 04, 2015

Errol Morris' debut film appears to be about the formation, destruction and creating of a pet cemetery. It is far more. This is a groundbreaking masterpiecee about humanity and human nature. Not to be missed or under-valued. This is an essential film.

• Jun 20, 2015

Floyd McClure: "When I turn my back I don't know you, not truly, but I can turn my back on my little dog and I know that he's not going to jump on me or bite me. But human begings can't be that way."

• Apr 14, 2015

"Gates of Heaven" begins by documenting the ways in which human beings project lofty ambitions, deeper pieces of their personal ideologies, and ultimately their own humanity onto their pets, but then it moves on. The story of the owners of a pet cemetery eventually evolves and starts to delve into the reasons why we want what we want from life, why we construct narratives to account for what we cannot know, and how we use external stimuli to further explore what makes us who we are. The questions asked by the subjects are a profound as any you'd hear in an art film, spoken simply and without pretension. This probing of the human psyche results in a piece of work that deserves to be remembered, and it most certainly will be by any that get to experience it.

• Feb 27, 2015

Weird rural humans on display.

Weird rural humans on display.